Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.0
    Tarp
    Cuben MLD Hex
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Which material configuration for the BB?

I weigh about 180lbs.

How durable is the single 1.1 Blackbird?

17oz - single 1.1
    15oz - Shenandoah UQ
    =32oz
    Reasoning: full length UQ to cover legs because of no pad for insulation.
    Wouldn't want a pad sliding around in the hammock with me.

24oz - double 1.1
    12.5 - yeti
    5.3 - 3/8" Thinlight pad
    =41.8oz
    Reasoning: Sleeping pad insulates legs, 3/4 length yeti doubled with pad provides extra insulation for torso. Pad also usable for sitting on and to pad the back of a frameless pack.

I also considered the Yeti with the single 1.1, in this case I would stuff my rain jacket and whatever else i could find under my legs.

17oz (single1.1) + 12.5 yeti = 29.5

Your thoughts are appreciated. Can anyone attest to the durability of the single 1.1 layer?

Primary use: PCT section hiking and JMT/yosemite 3 season.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I can't say much about the 1.1, but I can tell you that on my last trip I experimented with stuffing my Gregory Z55 under my legs instead of a pad and found it to be quite comfortable with the exception that you can't really roll onto your side. The Z even has a frame and I found it to be comfortable, so it can be done with just about anything, I would think.

The only second thought I had about using my pack was all the poison ivy we hiked through during the day, and I did end up with a bunch of it on my legs and feet, but there's no telling where that came from after all the wallowing around we did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I would guess you might need more than a sl 1.1 at 180#...lots of stretch
    If your stuck on a single layer, 1.7 would be a better choice and be more durable. Your best bet is to ask Brandon via email...
    don't worry about a single layer hammock and a ccf. I use a winter yeti and a 3/8" gossamer gear ccf inside with me...doesn't slide when used just under your legs but you can reposition if you roll over onto your side.
    Another nice feature of the UQ/pad combo is versatility...your pack or clothes can substitute under your legs and the pad moved under your torso/butt if the temps fall. A single full length UQ won't give you that option. I have done this when I had a sudden weather front blow in and drop the temps 10* under the capacity of my UQ...got me through the night warm!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I would guess you might need more than a sl 1.1 at 180#...lots of stretch
    If your stuck on a single layer, 1.7 would be a better choice and be more durable. Your best bet is to ask Brandon via email...
    don't worry about a single layer hammock and a ccf. I use a winter yeti and a 3/8" gossamer gear ccf inside with me...doesn't slide when used just under your legs but you can reposition if you roll over onto your side.
    Another nice feature of the UQ/pad combo is versatility...your pack or clothes can substitute under your legs and the pad moved under your torso/butt if the temps fall. A single full length UQ won't give you that option. I have done this when I had a sudden weather front blow in and drop the temps 10* under the capacity of my UQ...got me through the night warm!
    How long is the pad that you use? (I'm assuming you cut it to take up less space since you have the yeti?)

I was going to pick up the yeti since I dont plan to be out below freezing temps, and suppliment my warmth with a top quilt and extra clothes from my bag under my feet. I really didnt want to carry a pad but havent been out that cold to see if i would need it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast View Post
    How long is the pad that you use? (I'm assuming you cut it to take up less space since you have the yeti?)

I was going to pick up the yeti since I dont plan to be out below freezing temps, and suppliment my warmth with a top quilt and extra clothes from my bag under my feet. I really didnt want to carry a pad but havent been out that cold to see if i would need it.
    I have different lengths for different seasons...(I carry a very light UQ rated for 45* or so)
    -a 30" sit pad for summer...above 55* at night (nothing needed under your legs)
    -a @ 48" mid length pad for spring/fall (32*-55*)...can provide an extra layer under torso if needed
    - full length pad and winter yeti (32* and below)..used this set-up at 4* last winter with -25* wind chills with no major issues
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Okay, I am a warm sleeper and dont PLAN to be out past freezing. Do you think I will be okay with a Yeti and top quilt? (im considering a JRB) Im mainly just go on spring-fall hikes. I figure if I get cold I can put some clothes under my legs or back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast View Post
    Okay, I am a warm sleeper and dont PLAN to be out past freezing. Do you think I will be okay with a Yeti and top quilt? (im considering a JRB) Im mainly just go on spring-fall hikes. I figure if I get cold I can put some clothes under my legs or back.
    Yes.
    You won't need anything under your back, the Yeti will take care of that. The only thing you may need is something under your legs/feet. Unless it gets into the 30s I usually don't even use anything under my legs/feet; the quilt's footbox seems to take care of it fine.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts