Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Catastrophic zipper failure.

AAAARRRGG!!! The zipper on my SG Skeeter Beeter hammock just (about 25 minutes ago) had a total catastrophic failure! The slider is still in place, and in the dark w my headlamp, as best I can tell the teeth look OK, but it absolutely will not zip, that is the slider works up & down, but the teeth don’t engage.

I think that it is a design flaw, but in it’s defense, I have slept in the hammock at least 3 nights a week since around November of last year, so at least 72 times since I got it. And I get out usually 2 to 3 x a night, so a minimum of unzipping & zipping x 216. And I have it rigged so the netting is somewhat tight. I think though that if I had been using it on a thru, failure would have been at about month 2.5, and I would have been a bit, , , , , , annoyed!

BTW: HE, I now need that netting sock you offered a while ago.

Doctari.

Images
    I can send my bug bivy version 1 your way. It is a little smaller than what I can use. The opening is a little, small. If it works for you, I can put on a larger zipper and opening if you order one.

EDIT: Are the bugs out right now? I am going out next weekend in the hope there are none out. I only have one bug netting for 2 hammocks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    KOOL. The hammock sock fits perfectly, so if similar sized I bet it will do. If not, I can sew actually and now I have extra netting, from TWO hammocks, both because the zipper failed.

I suppose I could break down & make my own Net hammock sock. I do have 3 sewing machines and know how to use them

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can fix it. Make sure the teeth are lined up right, then pinch the rear end of the slder with a pair of pliers. Not too tight...it'll be too hard to slide. Just go down a smidgeon (metric) at a time and eventually it'll start catching again.

I got an REI TravelSack for about $15 b/c it had a broken zipper. Took all of 4 seconds to fix.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    You can fix it. Make sure the teeth are lined up right, then pinch the rear end of the slder with a pair of pliers. Not too tight...it'll be too hard to slide. Just go down a smidgeon (metric) at a time and eventually it'll start catching again.

I got an REI TravelSack for about $15 b/c it had a broken zipper. Took all of 4 seconds to fix.
    OK, I'll try it now.

Thanks for the tip, I was fixin to go take the hammock down & cut the netting off, but if this works, that would be better.

EDIT: I tried it, IT WORKED!!!! WOO HOO!! Took about 1.5 seconds to fix, thank you thank you thank you!!!
    Last edited by Doctari; 04-21-2007 at 10:47.

Images
    ::: dino makes mental note to get small multi-tool with pliers for hiking :::

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i've got to remember that too! good info!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post

EDIT: Are the bugs out right now? I am going out next weekend in the hope there are none out. I only have one bug netting for 2 hammocks.
    Depends on where you go, I live in MA and got pretty munched last night in the back yard.

Images
    in some places the bugs are always out....in my humble exp...i always leave a little slack in my net to prevent the strain on the zipper

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    .i always leave a little slack in my net to prevent the strain on the zipper
    Yea, mine has some slack, and is set up so if I put too much strain on it it releases. But, I don't feel that the slider gave all at once, it was slowly opened microscopic incriments until it could no longer close properly. My netting is likely tighter than most, but I think part of my problem may have been caused by me not fully opening the zipper when I got in / out. Hopefully I have learned my lesson .

Since the Failure, I have rigged so its quite a bit looser, and your post confirms that I should likely do that.

BTW: my netting is attached to the ridgeline with 2 spring clips, (office supplies, I got a card of 10 for $1.00 at Deals) if I exert much pressure on the netting it slips out of these clips, hopefully saving my netting. I have woke up twice now with the netting loose, but havn't pulled it free getting in / out, so,,,,,,,,,,,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast