WBRR
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush/Flight
    Suspension
    Webbing

Down difference

Doing a lot of research on quilts and was really wondering if there is big difference between duck down and goose down. Will one be warmer than the other? Breathe/ventilate better? More loft? Stay inside the quilt better?
    The question came while viewing UGQ's site. According to their site goose is more expensive and lighter. Not too concerned about weight though because I'll probably be more car camping than backpacking.

Thanks in advance,
    Skip

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I have an UGQ top quilt stuffed with duck down and a MAMW top quilt stuffed with goose down. The only difference I have found is weight and compressibility, though i have owned both of them for less than a year. I am sure other members can provide better information.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by skipcurt View Post
    Doing a lot of research on quilts and was really wondering if there is big difference between duck down and goose down. Will one be warmer than the other? Breathe/ventilate better? More loft? Stay inside the quilt better?
    The question came while viewing UGQ's site. According to their site goose is more expensive and lighter. Not too concerned about weight though because I'll probably be more car camping than backpacking.

Thanks in advance,
    Skip
    if you don't care about weight then gdd is for you, I have a flight jacket with duck and its fantastic!! also imho its light enough to hike with

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In my understanding and experience, duck down = goose down at the same fill power. Goose down is more in demand and often has larger clusters resulting in higher fill powers, which adds up to higher cost. Warmth is the same, once again at the same fill power. A higher fill power means less down needed, which means lower weight. If you mostly car camp, save the money and get duck down. You won't notice the difference.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images

Thanks in advance,
    Skip
    Simple answer is down is down, given equal fill power, 700 to 700 or 800 to 800 etc, both are equally warm and weigh the exact same. We offer a HD700GDD and a HD850GGD, you will notice the weigh of the fill in a GDD quilt is more than the weight of a quilt with GGD, typically a few ounces. This is to equal the lofting power of the two fill powers 700 vs 850 and has nothing to do with one being GDD or one being GGD. The 700 leaves some $ in your pocket and even more $$$ as the amount of down increases.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    From a synthetic Quilt user, I can say either is a win. It doesn't matter if your car camping or a trail thru hike, you will be lighter than synthetic with less bulk for the same temp rating.

Great for you to get the down quilt(s). Also, UGQ is a top notch vendor and great people. If you come down to FHV, 5th Annual Florida Hang in Jan 2015, you'll see for yourself and the many products from UGQ that a lot of us have here.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hey Skip!

As usual, you ARE a thinking man and it is good to see you here on the forum.

[Me and Skip are motorcycle riding buddies on another forum]

You need to get your same avatar up on here.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush/Flight
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    Hey Skip!

As usual, you ARE a thinking man and it is good to see you here on the forum.

[Me and Skip are motorcycle riding buddies on another forum]

You need to get your same avatar up on here.
    Yes sir, I am a thinking man but sometimes it's a detriment because it's too much info (information overload). Been on here every darn day reading and going to many different vendor sites. I'm going to have to come up to your place soon and spend some time going over all this info and also show you what I'm going through with my Hennessy.

Skip

Yes sir, I am a thinking man but sometimes it's a detriment because it's too much info (information overload). Been on here every darn day reading and going to many different vendor sites. I'm going to have to come up to your place soon and spend some time going over all this info and also show you what I'm going through with my Hennessy.

Skip
    Now that's more like it!

Yep, just added another hammock to the stable via the Buy/Sell forum on here, a War Bonnet Ridge Runner [bridge style].

You just can't have too many. You will find out soon enough.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    [QUOTE=skipcurt;1348663]Yes sir, I am a thinking man but sometimes it's a detriment because it's too much info (information overload). Been on here every darn day reading and going to many different vendor sites.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I over intellectualize everything. I have to research, think, compare and discuss before I purchase. Now, I have had a couple of brain injuries, which really adds to the problem. LOL

I am trying to keep everything as simple as possible. With the down, you get into where the darned stuff comes from. Geese from very cold regions in theory have better down clumps and and lot of other factors I have forgotten. Unless you are climbing mountains or exploring arctic regions, in my opinion, goose, duck, white, grey, its down. Have a look at what you are getting, if you see feathers, not so good. If there is chopped stuff in with the down not so good. I go by feel, light and very few shafts good, hart stuff or too smooth not so good. I do not want down from certain countries, at one time down had to be labeled with the country of origin, at least in Canada. I now I agonized over what type of down quilt to buy for bedding when we immigrated form the South.

Now, I scrounge down, old coats, quilts, best are quality sleeping bags. I clean it and put it in my quilts, clothing and doggie bed (it is a very tiny pup, with very low body fat).

It is nice to have bragging rights, such as oh, my TQ is --- with---overfill. Unless you are into really extreme situations, buy good quality, but don't get hung up on marketing or bragging rights. Do however be aware that your gear need to be quality stuff if you go out in the bush, your gear can be the difference between living and not surviving. Goose down vs Duck down is not that important, how the gear is made and if it is appropriate to the situation is the important part.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast