Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30 Denier for tarp?

So I am a noob here and to hammocks but I am trying. I want to make my own tarp and found the MARPAT pattern (http://store.magnafabrics.com/Marpat...25_a_yard.html) that I want to make a tarp out of. I also want to try my hand at making my own SilNylon as Jeff Spate showed in his YouTube video "The Cheap *******'s Guide to DIY Silnylon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTZP...ist=WL&index=3. My question is two part. First, is this a good way to make your own Silnylon and second, is a 30 Denier ripstop nylon good enough for a tarp? Thanks guys.

Oops, sorry admins about the foul verbage. It was simply the name of the video.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I've never made my own silnylon, but from other people's opinions that I've read, it's not worth doing for most people. You aren't guaranteed even coverage and if you mess up you may be out a lot more money than getting silnylon from the start. Ripstopbytheroll.com has really great prices on their sil.

30d seems to be pretty standard with silnylon so that should be fine to use as a tarp.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide to do.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshmo View Post
    So I am a noob here and to hammocks but I am trying. I want to make my own tarp and found the MARPAT pattern (http://store.magnafabrics.com/Marpat...25_a_yard.html) that I want to make a tarp out of. I also want to try my hand at making my own SilNylon as Jeff Spate showed in his YouTube video "The Cheap *******'s Guide to DIY Silnylon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTZP...ist=WL&index=3. My question is two part. First, is this a good way to make your own Silnylon and second, is a 30 Denier ripstop nylon good enough for a tarp? Thanks guys.

Oops, sorry admins about the foul verbage. It was simply the name of the video.
    It works. I've done it. Just be extremely thorough with mixing and then submerging your material.

I made a multicam tarp and it sheds water like a champ!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Prices for sil have come so far down in the last few years it's just not necessary imho. Checkout ripstopbytheroll for the best sil prices.

Thanks guys. I just checked out ripstopbytheroll.com They seem OK but I really want the MARPAT pattern and at $.59 a linear yard x 68"wide, I don't see how I could go wrong, really. I have not seen any silnylon in the MARPAT pattern, so if I can't find it, I will find my own way. :-)

Well, it seems this company might be very proud of their shipping charges. I called and talked to the guy and he told me that he had what I wanted in stock and just shoot him an email on it and he get it set up. I checked on his website for shipping costs on other similar items and he wanted around $40 for shipping! I am still waiting on the official shipping cost from him, but it might be a deal breaker if he wants double the money for shipping. hmffff!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Ask if they can ship it off the roll. This should significantly reduce shipping cost. f they ship on a roll, then it's a large item and subject to shipping costs based on size rather than weight.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshmo View Post
    Well, it seems this company might be very proud of their shipping charges. I called and talked to the guy and he told me that he had what I wanted in stock and just shoot him an email on it and he get it set up. I checked on his website for shipping costs on other similar items and he wanted around $40 for shipping! I am still waiting on the official shipping cost from him, but it might be a deal breaker if he wants double the money for shipping. hmffff!
    there should be a few option for shipping. It may depend on which version of the website you access. this is the newer one with different shipping and this being the older site. I love the products from magna, just make sure you stay on top of it. Larry has been know to be stretched thin.

I have also read people have better luck painting the sil on as oppose to dipping it. I have not done it myself, but a few have dipped it, only to string it up and paint it on because of leakage.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I have also read people have better luck painting the sil on as oppose to dipping it. I have not done it myself, but a few have dipped it, only to string it up and paint it on because of leakage.
    Well, I both dipped and the brushed a little extra on the ridgeline. Worked perfect.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Well, I both dipped and the brushed a little extra on the ridgeline. Worked perfect.
    I am not sure where on here I read about it or watched on youtube, but I can recall 2 that it didn't work(at least not 100%). If I remember correctly it may have been either a mixing issue or how they dipped it, but they switched to the brush and did a better job mixing. I am sure either way can be effective or like you did, a combo of both. I lack the room to brush it so i would dip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast