Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL; BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG Hex; WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    20d Yeti; EE RevX
    Suspension
    Toggles & Whoopies
    On my SOBO I used a WB Yeti and a sit pad inside the foot box of my quilt and a small piece of reflectix for my lower legs (single layer BIAS WW) during colder weather. I hung through the Whites except one night at Lake of the Clouds and one night in a hostel (Chet's Place). A pad would have made for better sleep on the wood bunks, but I made do for one night each. GSMNP is the other spot where you'll likely go to ground for at least a few nights. I think you're plan sounds fine, although I used the Yeti whenever it fell into the 60's at night...but I spent the summer months in the mountains of NE.
    Here's a short video I recorded describing my goals for my 2013 AT SOBO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg0K0YDlFEE

My website: http://www.JourneyThruLyme.com

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    check out Joe Brewer on youtube. He did a AT thru hike video series and used a hammock. He also took along an inflatable pad for shelter or ground that worked well.. He just finished a PCT thru hike and used a different inflatable that he really liked. On both he had a pre hike and post hike gear review. This may help. He also used alot of DIY gear for his hammock on the AT. Hope this helps

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have hiked the PCT across Oregon back when our boots were heavier than today's backpacks. So unless youth of today has gone wimpy, or everyone has sipped the Ultra-light kook-aid, you might want to consider some items that are less than the lightest you can find. For one thing, they might last longer. For example, I just got a Go-Lite down sweater on their close out and I would only wear it as a pajama top in colder weather. For a thru-hike I'd take something a little more rugged. Specifically, I'm thinking about the tarp you will use. I used a bivi sack and it wasn't long before I realized that I was either lying down in the bivi or out in the rain - I didn't know about tarps. You will be in somewhat the same situation in your hammock. So if you have a large tarp - say 10 ft wide, you will be able to get out of the hammock and move around under the tarp in the rain. If you have the smallest diamond tarp you can get away with, you will be confined to the hammock.

I agree that the sock and tarp are a great combination. If you feel you might need more privacy, then get a tarp with doors. The sock will extend the "warm" range of the gear you have and if the wind/rain starts blowing the wrong direction for your tarp set up, the sock will probably keep you dry enough as some, but little, weather will come in on the ends of the tarp and be blocked by the breathable sock - remember you have trees blocking wind in that direction too.

But also, if you need to go to ground, the sock can act as a single wall tent of sorts. In that case, a foam pad under the sock will protect the material.

If you haven't tried one of those nano-air Therm-a-rests, try to test one at a store (REI). After reading one post I did that and 1) they looked like really overpriced air mattresses. 2) they were as loud as all get out - and right next to your ear. The sales person said they "quiet down" after a while. That 4+ R rating is really attractive. But remember, all these hike have been done with much less "tech".

And because you will be on the trail for a while, really be kind to yourself. Do know that I am a geezer. That means I've been around and seen things fail. So I am not a fan of Multi-purpose. I am a fan of redundancy. I recall some guy at a ski shelter eating some food with his Spork (spoon on one end, fork on the other). After he took a few bits with the fork end, he wanted to use the spoon for some soup. But then he realized - you could see it in his face - that he'd have to hold the sticky food end of the spork in order to use the spoon. Now I ask you - how heavy is a separate plastic spoon. Sheesh.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-27-2014 at 03:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12