Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom

If weight wasn't an issue... wool/fleece hybrid.

I have a dense felted wool blanket that when folded in half is a nice 3/4+ size. I have 4 yards of Blizzard fleece that when folded twice is the EXACT size of the folded blanket. I also have 50+ yards of 1.2 nylon. So nylon then 2 layers of wool then 4 layers of fleece then nylon.
    I would be gusseting the whole thing and running 1/4 shock cord. I also have a UQP that I could/would/maybe use also.
    This would be a winter-only-in-my-pulk UQ and will only set me back $30 and I have a killer TQ that will take me to 10°.
    I would like input on the following:
    Should I do a nylon layer on the hammock side? If not, then what?
    Will this get me to the 20°s?
    Should I add a layer of dense 1" batting (the kind that doesn't really compress but would create an air pocket) between any of the layers
    Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Also, I'm a hot sleeper with my own built-in insulation (that's code for I'm fat) and would be hanging under my GT SBP. *grabs popcorn*

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The critical thing for design would be to inhibit air movement across the fleece and wool layers. The UQP should do that, but if you can get some calendared or DWR nylon as the outer layer (since weight is not an issue), then the UQP becomes a belt with your suspenders. An excellent fabric for this would be Epsilon.

The most critical thing would be to test in your backyard, or some other place where you can bail, before you go dragging it into the woods to sleep.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Getting it to fit correctly to the underside of the hammock, not only because of the nature of felted wool but also the weight, will be the challenge, but if you don't have to cut things to size then nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck. Like the other fella said, test in the backyard first.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The critical thing for design would be to inhibit air movement across the fleece and wool layers. The UQP should do that, but if you can get some calendared or DWR nylon as the outer layer (since weight is not an issue), then the UQP becomes a belt with your suspenders. An excellent fabric for this would be Epsilon.

The most critical thing would be to test in your backyard, or some other place where you can bail, before you go dragging it into the woods to sleep.
    That's why I was thinking of sandwiching the whole thing in a layer of ripstop. Wind isn't a MAJOR concern because I have a doored tarp but I definitely don't want any heat escaping. Thanks for the input!

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Getting it to fit correctly to the underside of the hammock, not only because of the nature of felted wool but also the weight, will be the challenge, but if you don't have to cut things to size then nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck. Like the other fella said, test in the backyard first.
    Unfortunately I don't have a backyard so I'll need to actually field test it. I feel the design is solid but whenever trying something new it's best to get the opinions of others. Thanks!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBushcraft View Post
    That's why I was thinking of sandwiching the whole thing in a layer of ripstop. Wind isn't a MAJOR concern because I have a doored tarp but I definitely don't want any heat escaping. Thanks for the input!
    I can tell you from experience that even the slightest movement of air you can feel the difference, especially at lower temps.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I can tell you from experience that even the slightest movement of air you can feel the difference, especially at lower temps.
    I think the ripstop sandwich and UQP should keep be breeze free. Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBushcraft View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a backyard so I'll need to actually field test it. I feel the design is solid but whenever trying something new it's best to get the opinions of others. Thanks!
    I tried something like this using an 'under-hammock' of rip-stop and shock cord. What I found was that the fleece was simply too heavy and I couldn't pull the shock cord tight enough to keep it snug to the hammock. I was thinking a length of zing-it instead and some kind of tensioner (loop of shock at the ends?) but never got around to it...

post pics and let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post
    I tried something like this using an 'under-hammock' of rip-stop and shock cord. What I found was that the fleece was simply too heavy and I couldn't pull the shock cord tight enough to keep it snug to the hammock. I was thinking a length of zing-it instead and some kind of tensioner (loop of shock at the ends?) but never got around to it...

post pics and let us know how it goes!
    Yeah I'm thinking of running 1/4" shock cord in the gussets along the sides then running some Kevlar line out from there to the ends of the hammock. I will definitely post pics and share my experiences!

In warmer weather (low 40's) I have slept with a wool blanket as bottom insulation inside the hammock. I think with wool and fleece you get less compression than a sleeping bag so they still perform ok. And if its inside the bag you don't have the issues of making that heavy underquilt fit right. I wouldn't take this down to 20, without a backyard test (and you can't do that). But I would be willing to try it, if I used that nylon to make a hammock sock. I'd probably bring a bunch of hand warmers in case I started to freeze.

• + New Posts