Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammock lengths

Hammock lengths

How does the length of a hammock change the hang "feel" and comfort? Ive seen hammocks from 7' to 13'

I have an 11'ish eno doublenest and am wondering what length I shoud go for on a new hammock. Im 5'11" and 120lb if that is relevant.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There is no ENO that is 11' ish. - I think they're all 9.5 ft.? I'm 5'11 and 160 lbs.and prefer 11 ft. hammocks exclusively, though 10.5 works also.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must have remembered length wrong. I was thinking longer would be nicer for me. Ive heard short hammocks can be very comfortable too.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackspyre View Post
    How does the length of a hammock change the hang "feel" and comfort?
    Longer hammocks can increase comfort. So can other factors like width (specifically in relation to length), gathering method, fabric weight and stretch - and all in relation to your body size and weight...

A lot of people on the forum prefer longer hammocks. I found that a shorter hammock can be more comfortable than a longer one. My 10' WBBB is my most comfortable hammock - but I need to hang it right, that is fairly tight. This prevents me from using it indoors, because my anchor points only allow a 35°+ angle hang. For indoors I currently have a 12' DIY hammock that feels very good (but not as good as my BB). I found that longer hammocks are often more forgiving and need not be hung perfectly to achieve a good lay. I also feel comfort of longer hammocks increases with greater hang angles - with shorter hammocks it's the other way round.

I can only recommend to do some experimenting; if you DIY, hammocks are cheap to make and you might be able to find your perfect hammock without breaking the bank. For hiking, I would always try to go as short as possible (without sacrificing comfort), because you save weight and have more sites open to you (always assuming you also use a shorter tarp). I went hiking twice with an 11' hammock and 11' tarp, and I didn't like the decreased tarp coverage. A longer tarp would fix this, but it would also mean you'll need more space between the trees. All worth it if the longer hammock provides a lot more comfort - but since I'm perfectly happy with a 10' hammock, the disadvantages prevailed.

Interesting. I guess I'll have to try a shorter one AND a longer one. Hehe I'm a bit addicted... I have some extra ripstop laying around too.

You said gather style can change the feel. How so?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackspyre View Post
    You said gather style can change the feel. How so?
    I have tried the Hennessy method (more pictures here), the accordion fold, the W-fold, the Warbonnet whip and U- and O-type channel ended hammocks. I also threw in some mini-spreader bars for good measure

For shorter hammocks I like the Warbonnet whip. But this is basically a variation of the simple accordion fold when done right. It prevents the sides of the fabric to curve up, like it happens with the O-type channel end. With O-type I mean that you pull a cord (either an endless loop or a dog bone) through the channel of your hammock and loop it back onto itself - thus creating an O-closure. The fabric can and will spread around the cord. This means the sides of the hammock curve more. With U-type I mean that you pull your cord through the channel, but don't loop it back but connect the ends to your suspension. When your hammock is weighted, the fabric is pulled into almost one point - there is no curving. This is similar to the accordion fold, only the folds are much smaller.

The Hennessy fold creates a kind of "pocket" on the left and right (for your feet and head). I found it needs a lot of sag.

I wasn't too happy with the W-fold. Small changes in the ends have huge results in the lay. This means that the W-fold is not consistent. If you're lucky, you can get it right with the first trial - but it's difficult to reproduce.

It's very interesting to try different methods, preferably with different hammock lengths and see how it changes the character of the hammock. For my 12' indoor hammock, I use the U-type channel end. I found wide hammock widths were not very useful - 60" are ample.

Another important factor to me is fabric stretch. I found I don't like super stretchy hammocks. And I don't like no-stretch hammocks. So far, the 1.9oz fabric felt best, because it stretches enough to prevents tingling limbs, but still provides enough support.

Woa... never expected it to make that much difference... now i have even more to try out.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The fabric used also plays a significant role. A 9ft hammock made of very different materials will have significantly different feels. Often different makers have both different lengths (widths) and fabrics. The fabric choice will put limits on what length/width provides optimal comfort for the masses. The final major variable is the individual size of the person using the hammock and their own personal preferences. Thus it isn't just a length (or width) question.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

thanks for the lesson hutzelbein. I also have some experimentation to do.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do all my hammocks with a sewn channel, triple stitched, with an Amsteel 7/64" continuous loop larksheaded through the channel (what hutzelbein calls an O-channel). It's the method that makes the most sense to me - all the other methods seem more like a black art. I'm just not much on experimentation - when I find something that works I stick with it.

I really like the ability to pack wet suspension separately from dry hammock (using Dutch whoopie hooks or speed hooks). This also works for people who get freaked out about tree sap on their straps. Then again, there are people that fear they'll leave their tree straps and suspension behind so they want it permanently attached to the hammock.

Here's a link about other gathering/whipping methods - including the Speer overhand knot.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hipping-method

I assume you're female? I'm having a hard time imagining a 5'11" male that weighs 120 lbs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast