WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY QUILT pads
    Suspension
    Web straps whoopie

first rainy overnite

Since purchasing my new WBBB XLC and WBSF a month ago, I have spent about 5 nites in the backyard. Using my Thermarest pad and DIY Ray Jardine quilt, I slept comfortably and warm in high 40's-low 50's. My hammock and tarp suspensions set up easily and no quirks. Very comfy and warm. I also sealed the tarp pullouts with the Permatex flowable silicone[works very nicely, by the way] and had my set-up pretty well sorted out. Quilts were ordered and on their way, but I was hoping for some rain to really have a good test. A good storm came our way the end of October, and I told the wife "time to sleep outside tonite". "It's supposed to storm tonite!" "That's perfect!". She just rolled her eyes with that look only a wife can give you.
    Storm with 1/2 inch of rain expected around midnite, continuing next morning. Set up my hammock and tarp and went to sleep that nite. Pitter patter on the tarp around 1 am that woke me up ( I was kinda waiting for it). A good steady rain followed for an hour or so. I sat up, turned on my headlamp and checked everything inside the tarp, and all was good. No drips or leaks( didn't expect any anyway), I settled back in my quilt and went back to sleep. Woke up around sunrise. Some slight condensation on the inside tarp walls(kinda expected with silnylon in my experience), but happy as a clam. Got up with a steady drizzle, dressed and went into the house for a cup of coffee. Extremely pleased with the tarp and its performance. I had the doors kinda tied open to allow good coverage and air flow thru the nite. The storm passed thru the next day and I left everything set up to dry well before putting away. Hammock was dry with no water on suspension lines( whoopies were a little soaked near the hammock, but not much) and everything was good. It was a very good confidence builder for me and confirmed the time spent setting things up several times to become familiar with my equipment. I was very happy with everything.
    With my new quilts arriving soon, I now know that my setup will keep me dry and protected. I'll play with the quilts when they arrive, and spend several more nites outside for sure, hopefully with a good rain added to it. My WBBB provides me a very comfortable lay and sleep, 100x better than on the ground or in a tent. I am looking forward to the quilts to complete my arrangement. I'll report soon on the quilts. Plenty of very helpful info in this forum. Thanks to everyone.
    Novatoflyguy, out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Excellence in preparation!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Awesome
    You can never test too much in your backyard.
    I Have been full time backyard testing for the last 5 months and the learning of all the nuances never ends, so keep hanging away... test test test.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great job on getting the gear dialed in.
    When I started, my test area was the garage and I got a lot of eye rolls when I'd proudly pronounce I was sleeping in the garage, so I can identify with ya.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Excellent decision to check things out at home. Though everything was dry, I'd still put a Sock or an under cover (more protection for the quilts) in the back of your mind. Also, as it gets colder, the sock+tarp combination move the condensation further away. In another thread, there was a discussion of tarp size preferences. What were you using? Diamonds are weight saving but imagine you came across that rain during the day. Can you pack it and stay dry doing it? How about just "hanging out"?

Another advantage of testing at home is you can make sure you have all the parts together; guy lines, suspension lines, stakes for the guy lines, etc.

Anyway - just wait till you start doing things a little off - then the real learning comes in

Great job practicing and preparing. A few winters ago I was trying to dial in a cold weather system and every time the weatherman said it was going to be 10 degrees or less I told my wife I was going to sleep outside. She gave me that look without fail.
    Last edited by ktitan; 11-02-2014 at 23:27.

How good is a hammock in the rain, it's my favorite time to be in a hammock

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Smart move to test at home, much easier to walk into the house should something go wrong.

Let us know how your first trip works out.

Which quilts are you ordering.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I also recommend testing in a real storm, with wind blown rain and/or snow.
    This will help you dial your setup.
    It always seems like the worst weather happens to me when I'm several miles from a road:-(
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

• + New Posts