WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I only have real world experience with the WB line of tarps. I like them all. But the Mamajamba is my favorite because it's the most versatile. Like you, I don't need doors for the camping I do (unless I wanted more privacy). The MJ has a lot of coverage for very little weight. There are a lot of tarp options, but whenever I checked, other tarps were heavier and/or had less coverage. The main advantage with other tarp makers is customization, more than one color and interesting shapes. You might want to have a look at Simply Light Designs - they have some fancy shapes, and maybe there is one that would suit your needs better than a standard hex.

You might also want to consider buying a tarp with an 11.5' or 12' ridgeline. A lot of people are using an 11' hammock with an 11' tarp - but I found that you have to center the tarp carefully and hang it as low as possible in bad weather. However, I'm spoiled because my go-to hiking hammock is only 10', and I'm used to the tons of coverage I get with an 11' tarp.

Hammock
    Woodsman Lite
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have an Edge tarp and use it in general humid Scandinavian weather. A tarp I needed most of the year here, simply due to dew falling in the evening as temps start to drop. In the summer and cold winter we can do without.
    I really like the Edge tarp for the light weight, and the 11' ridge line. If wind is a concern an uqp can solve that. It's a bit of a narrow tarp, so if it's windy, using terrain becomes important or pitching really low.
    Can highly recommend it though

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Muletape/huggers
    I'm fairly new to the world of hammocking but after thoroughly considering all the tarp options out there I settled on a Warbonnet Mamajamba and have really enjoyed it. I do most of my hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and we certainly get our fair share of rain and wind. The mamajamba provided plenty of protection for my 11' hammock during a pretty windy (30mph) rain storm while camping just below 4,000'. I just purchased an UQP and am looking forward to pushing my setup into the winter months. Good luck with your search!

-jake

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I went with the SF after wanting the Edge for awhile. I read alot of posts and the consensus seemed to be to get the 4 season first then specialize, so that's what I did. I can say the while heavier and a bit bulkier than a tarp like the Edge or similar, The SF has never been a burden in my pack, and it's actually proven itself useful as it's so much more versitile. The doors are always there if you need them and are not a nuisance if you don't. The extra width is there is you need it, if not, enjoy a higher pitch. Pitch one side low opposite a fire to reflect warmth onto your hammock from 20 feet away. Tip of the iceberg. I don't regret carrying a 4 season for a minute even though 9 out of ten times i don't need it.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I had the WBMJ and loved it. It's a GREAT tarp. Then I was camping in rain with pretty high winds and bought the Superfly. For me, the Superfly is perfect. As stated, most times I don't use the doors, but I do have them when I need them. The Superfly is also lighter and easier to set up than the Mambajamba with doors, so my personal opinion and experience is that the Superfly is better than the Mambajamba with doors.

If I was going to never need the doors, the MJ is a fine tarp.

YMMV.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Whether a smaller or larger hex tarp. When would you guys reach for a door kit or an UQP. I see a single door kit ~4oz and an UQP is maybe 6oz. Haven't tried either, so I'm curious when you might choose one over the other.

Seems like if I was going to carry both, then I'm over the weight of a winter tarp, which I'm guessing provides sufficent coverage to not need either except in really wintery conditions.

I own all three Warbonnet models. For your needs the Edge (or equivalent) will probably be enough. The Mambajamba is nicer in a windy rain, but you won't see that very often, and you could lower the Edge. It would be a bit claustrophobic, but rare anyway.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Thanks for the info here. I, too have been going back and forth between the Mambajamba and the Edge and I think I'll settle with the Edge. Hopeuflly there is a black friday deal coming up!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I only have real world experience with the WB line of tarps. I like them all. But the Mamajamba is my favorite because it's the most versatile. Like you, I don't need doors for the camping I do (unless I wanted more privacy). The MJ has a lot of coverage for very little weight. There are a lot of tarp options, but whenever I checked, other tarps were heavier and/or had less coverage.
    I like the MJ too. Same coverage as the SF but without doors, which you can always add later on. Sure it will cost more, but it's very versatile letting you take the doors, just 2 doors, or leave them at home depending on the weather. Heck, you can even improvise extra coverage with a rain jacket or pack liner if a storm sneaks in and you don't have the doors with you. But all that said, I still added a SF to my gear collection

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12