Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

HELP WANTED: Configuring a <1lb (453g) hammock (including suspension)

I'm looking to build out a new hammock system for a six day backcountry hike in August 2015 where I want to have my entire hammock (including suspension, tree huggers) come in under 1 lb (453g). I'm looking at implementing some Dutchware Magic to help me achieve my goal.

Has anyone had any luck achieving such a task? What did you do/use (hammock fabric, suspension, hardware, huggers, etc.)? How long is your hammock (10 ft, 11 ft, etc.)? How wide?

How practical and comfortable is such a hammock? I am 5ft 10in (1.78m) tall and about 220 lb (100kg).

I need it to be quick to set up and not easy to lose items since we will be taking down/setting up every day as we hike 8–12 miles each day to different campsites. I want to build it soon so I can test it out several times before our trip.

Please provide links to resources/vendors/etc. when possible. I am very comfortable doing DIY.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tygr View Post
    I'm looking to build out a new hammock system for a six day backcountry hike in August 2015 where I want to have my entire hammock (including suspension, tree huggers) come in under 1 lb (453g). I'm looking at implementing some Dutchware Magic to help me achieve my goal.

Has anyone had any luck achieving such a task? What did you do/use (hammock fabric, suspension, hardware, huggers, etc.)? How long is your hammock (10 ft, 11 ft, etc.)? How wide?

How practical and comfortable is such a hammock? I am 5ft 10in (1.78m) tall and about 220 lb (100kg).

I need it to be quick to set up and not easy to lose items since we will be taking down/setting up every day as we hike 8–12 miles each day to different campsites. I want to build it soon so I can test it out several times before our trip.

Please provide links to resources/vendors/etc. when possible. I am very comfortable doing DIY.

Thanks in advance!
    Here's a recent thread about everyone's hammock/suspension weights that may help you get some ideas: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hammock+weight

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hammock - BIAS WWM 60" wide by 11 ft. long 6.5 oz.
    Bugnet - BIAS NanoBuginator 7. oz.
    Dutch Speed Hooks with 4 ft. straps, continuous loops, and Amsteel Leads 2.57 oz.

Total 16.07 oz.

Personally, I'm not too keen on 1.1 oz. hammocks like the BIAS Weight Weenie Micro. I'd take the weight penalty for a sturdier fabric like Dutch's 1.4 PolyD (an 11 ft. hammock is 9.94 oz.). The last think I would want is a hammock failure when on a six day backcountry hike.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Out of curiosity who are you showing off to? Got an UL tenting buddy who needs to be taken down a peg?

You didn't mention a bug net. As implied by Surfr's post, the presence or absence of a bug net will really shift how easy it is to accomplish your goal. It's super easy to come in under a pound if bugs aren't a problem.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Check out this- just posted it- I'm 5'10, 210 lbs
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hered-end-help
    You could bump up to 1.4 oz with about an ounce of gain.

Toggle to toggle- 5.5 oz
    Even if you went 2 oz per side with tree straps and a toggle you'd be in good shape.
    But these would be 2.5 or so total with toggles-http://dutchwaregear.com/tree-straps.html

Bug sock can't be more than 4-5 oz?? Never made one.
    headnet is an ounce or less...

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Hammock - BIAS WWM 60" wide by 11 ft. long 6.5 oz.
    Bugnet - BIAS NanoBuginator 7. oz.
    Dutch Speed Hooks with 4 ft. straps, continuous loops, and Amsteel Leads 2.57 oz.

Total 16.07 oz.

Personally, I'm not too keen on 1.1 oz. hammocks like the BIAS Weight Weenie Micro. I'd take the weight penalty for a sturdier fabric like Dutch's 1.4 PolyD (an 11 ft. hammock is 9.94 oz.). The last think I would want is a hammock failure when on a six day backcountry hike.
    You could do an 11' hammock out of hyperd 1.0. A lot stronger than. 1.1, and lighter than 1.4

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Old article but maybe it will help.
    http://andrewskurka.com/2012/hammock...disadvantages/
    My two cents is if weight is really all you care about, stick with a tarp/tent config.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    You could do an 11' hammock out of hyperd 1.0. A lot stronger than. 1.1, and lighter than 1.4
    +1 that hyper 1.0 is nice stuff. I weigh a smidge more than you and have used my 11' hyperD a few times now with great results.

Without a bug net it'll be easy to keep it under a lb. With a big net it is still doable but you may want to look at different designs to see the lightest design you'd feel comfortable with the HUG net or just a plain head net are probably the lightest options. You may need to use shorter than intended tree straps to get under a lb with a larger bug net.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I am a tick over you requirement at a total of 1.24# (19.76 oz) for all of the below. There are a couple of areas (zipper, ridgeline organizer, tree strap length) I could probably save enough to get to 1# but I like the convenience those things provide. Here are the details:

Hammock- 11' x 58" Argon 1.6 with fully zippered (#3) bug net
    Ridgeline- Dynaglide UCR with No See Um ridgeline organizer
    Suspension- 5' tree straps, 6' 7/64" amsteel whoopie slings w/ Dutch whoopie hooks, 8" amsteel continuous loops on hammock
    Bishop Bag- 6" dia x 7' long, Argon 1.6 w/ 1.1 sil bottom

• + New Posts