Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat

Role of DH UQ loops in UQ suspension

I'd like to make a UQ from an old down sleeping bag I have, and I'd like some help figuring out a UQ suspension. My DH DB has UQ loops -- 16 inches from each end of the hammock. The various designs for UQ suspension that I've found use all sorts of anchoring points -- triangle thingies or RL clips (which won't work with DB) -- but I haven't yet seen any design that uses the DH UQ loops. One idea would be to simply run a length of shock cord from one UQ loop, through the long edge of the UQ, to the other UP loop on the far end on the same side of the hammock.... and then snug up each end of the UQ with another shock cord running from one UQ loop, through the short edge of the UQ under the hammock to the UQ loop on the other side. Are there other ways -- or modifications of this -- that I should be looking at? Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think Undergroundquilts offer DH specific loops on their underquilts. I'm not sure if loops are needed, though. Maybe other DH users with more experience can clarify. I have been using Hammock Gear underquilts (Incubator) and a Wilderness Logics full-length underquilt with my integrated hammocks, and the system I found to work best was some kind of secondary suspension like the one HG adds. Keeping primary and secondary suspension tight solved all underquilt problems for me. The only time it didn't work was on a Hennessy hammock when I used the tie-outs. I can't remember having had these problems when I used my DH hammock.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome 11"
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie, UCR
    I've put packhooks on my roaming gnome, that works great holding the suspension in place.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    UQ loops or UQ pack hooks are placed 16" from each end of the hammock like sagamore describes. These are designed to work with the existing UQ suspension and function much like "triangle thingies" in that they help lift and tighten you UQ for a good fit. They also help prevent the UQ from sliding to one side or the other during the night.

UQ loops come standard on the DangerBird and RoamingGnome hammocks, but pack hooks can optionally be added. You can use small pieces of cord or mini biners to clip the UQ suspoension into the loops. My favorite way to do this is to use the Clip-on Quilt Hooks from TATO Gear.

UQ Pack Hooks come standard on the ThunderBird hammock. This adds a simple and convienient way to hook the UQ suspension in without the need to add anything to the loops.
    Tie-out4.jpg

UGQ Dream Hammock pack hook mod - This mod can be used with any Dream Hammock having Pack Hook Tie-outs and does not interfere with using the UQ on other hammocks. It's an exposed piece of shock cord that be ordered right, left or both sides depending on whether you lay right or left in your hammock. Only one side is used at the shoulder against the edge of the hammock. This mod helps lock the UQ to the shoulder and prevents it from sliding off. It can also be used together with the UQ pack hooks to firmly orient the UQ in the proper asym position. No more underquilts giving you the "cold shoulder" Many of our Dream Hammocks feature dual zippers that allow you to easily unzip either side for quick and easy UQ adjustment. Try reaching out the backside of the hammock on some of the others without unzipping around the entire hammock.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    Thanks, PapaSmurf. Now that I understand how the UQ hooks work on my new DangerBird, I have made a DIY UQ from an old down sleeping bag and some shock cord. One key point I noticed: I needed to make sure that the UQ suspension stretches longer than the distance between UQ hooks along the path of the hammock edge. So glad to learn that the not-hard way!

Very much looking forward to trying it out.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    PapaSmurf does the thunderbird have onboard storage for the netting and top cover if one chooses to travel with both of them? I notice you offer a add on, of a storage shelf of some sort, Couldn't really tell much from the picture. Would this be the storage for the netting and top cover? Is the storage self netting and acts as a vent as well? Or does the design call for a stuff sack for the netting and top cover? Still trying to figure If I like the dangerbird or the thunderbird better. Where the thunderbird has dual zippers could one use it left and or though they bought say a right lay... and just get in form the opposite side? I have a lot to learn about hammock design.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike04345 View Post
    PapaSmurf does the thunderbird have onboard storage for the netting and top cover if one chooses to travel with both of them? I notice you offer a add on, of a storage shelf of some sort, Couldn't really tell much from the picture. Would this be the storage for the netting and top cover? Is the storage self netting and acts as a vent as well? Or does the design call for a stuff sack for the netting and top cover? Still trying to figure If I like the dangerbird or the thunderbird better. Where the thunderbird has dual zippers could one use it left and or though they bought say a right lay... and just get in form the opposite side? I have a lot to learn about hammock design.
    Hi Mike,
    The ThunderBird comes with 2 removable peak bags that clip into little shock cord loops at each end of the hammock. That way you can easily just unhook one or the other and leave it home. Or you can choose to store one or both in the ends of the hammock.

ThunderBird9.jpg ThunderBird11.jpg

The DangerBird is normally something like 1.1 or 1.2oz lighter than the ThunderBird, but one important thing to remember is that removing the net or overcover makes the ThunderBird the lighter option. On an 11ft ThunderBird, removing the net and peak bag saves you approx 4.75oz. Removing the overcover saves approx 5.35oz. These weights vary somewhat depending on sizes and fabrics used.

The Peak Shelf is compatible with the ThunderBird because we can simply hook both peak bags at the foot of the hammock. It's not an available option on the DangerBird as it interferes with the attached peak bag at one end of the hammock.

I guess it boils down to: If you will always carry the net and overcover, the DangerBird might be the better option. If you anticipate removing one or the other depending on the expected weather, the ThunderBird wins.

You can enter/exit either side of the ThunderBird or DangerBird, but the covers are cut specifically right or left lay so you can't really lay the opposite way if you have the netting or overcover zipped on.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Thank You

Thank You for information PapaSmurf

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Hi Mike,
    The ThunderBird comes with 2 removable peak bags that clip into little shock cord loops at each end of the hammock. That way you can easily just unhook one or the other and leave it home. Or you can choose to store one or both in the ends of the hammock.

ThunderBird9.jpg ThunderBird11.jpg

The DangerBird is normally something like 1.1 or 1.2oz lighter than the ThunderBird, but one important thing to remember is that removing the net or overcover makes the ThunderBird the lighter option. On an 11ft ThunderBird, removing the net and peak bag saves you approx 4.75oz. Removing the overcover saves approx 5.35oz. These weights vary somewhat depending on sizes and fabrics used.

The Peak Shelf is compatible with the ThunderBird because we can simply hook both peak bags at the foot of the hammock. It's not an available option on the DangerBird as it interferes with the attached peak bag at one end of the hammock.

I guess it boils down to: If you will always carry the net and overcover, the DangerBird might be the better option. If you anticipate removing one or the other depending on the expected weather, the ThunderBird wins.

You can enter/exit either side of the ThunderBird or DangerBird, but the covers are cut specifically right or left lay so you can't really lay the opposite way if you have the netting or overcover zipped on.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I'm no expert but you can see what I do in this video http://youtu.be/6ifjZcEV19M around the 8 min. mark. It has worked well for several nights.

• + New Posts