DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies

NW Alabama guys, Joe Wheeler question

Hey guys have any of you camped (hammock camping) at Joe Wheeler State Park. I'm trying to decide where to take my wife this weekend. She is pretty stuck on car camping right now. We went to Brushy Lake about a month ago and had a good time there but was thinking about trying somewhere different. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Never been to Joe Wheeler, and I usually avoid state park campgrounds because some of them are just camper trailer towns, with few options for hanging. But, I can see the appeal for the wife: Bathhouses! You could probably hang in the primitive areas and still use the facilities. Some of the Forest Service Campgrounds are nice too.

Hammock
    tablecloth
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Primitive Sites may not be bad for car camping, most Alabama state parks do not allow "backpacking style" camping i.e. hammocking with a tarp even if you are car camping.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Some of the Forest Service Campgrounds are nice too.
    Look around for the different options. Over here in the N. GA area, I like to take my gang to camp grounds in the Chattahoochee National Forest rather that to the state parks. The state parks are crowded, too much $, and too crowded. I know I said crowded twice . While most of the Nat. Forest sites don't have all of the bells and whistles, some do have flush toilets and running water (heated at a few). With a wife and 4 girls, an over nighter at a primative site is do-able, but for two nights or a long weekend, the flush toilets and hot water are requested. I have no problems hunting out the sites that keep us going out as a family.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    Update...First, thanks for all the above comments. My wife and I went to great lengths to get everything in place so that we could get away for the weekend but alas her Mom got sick and plans basically went down the toilet. Why is it so hard to get away? Kids and work of course. Anyway we did get to drive over to Joe Wheeler one afternoon and check it out. The lady was very nice and helpful on the phone and in person. She let us go through the gate and check out the primitive area which looked really nice. She also said we could use our hammocks but she didn't seem like she really knew. On the way out I stopped back in the office and the park ranger was there. Turns out I recognized him and we taught at a Hunters safety course together a few years ago. Overall we were pretty impressed with the park and have decided to try it out next chance we get. Of course I would rather be deep in the forrest but I'm taking this route with my wife for now. We are trying to find a way/hobby to spend more time together and it will be something to do with the kids too. Hopefully she will grow to love the experience and be more willing to venture into the woods.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I go to monte sano state park in Huntsville a lot and hammock camp. I really like the park and they allow hammocks. It's hardly ever over crowded except during college football season and occasionally when a boys scout troop comes. We done the primitive sites and also did the power sites also. Lots of hanging options there

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    Yeah the primitive site at joe wheeler is actually hammock paradise. Hundreds of pine trees perfectly spaced for hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Tishomingo State Park in Northeast Mississippi is a great park for hammock camping. Lots of great trails there to explore.

• + New Posts