Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Double Bag a Winter Pod?

Sorry for another post but you guys are really helpful.

Okay so I think that Im going to go with the winter pod method but I had an idea. What if I get an extra wide sleeping bag to wrap my first bag in?
    I'll try to explain it as best I can.
    So essentially it would go like this... Hammock (with pad) --> Ten Degree Bag --> Large Twenty Degree Bag

Do you guys think that this will work and again, if you have a better system what would it be?

Thanks much,
    Carl

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my pod system.....used it down to -40º last year.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Shug...you are one crazy hanger. Keep up the good work.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Sure it will work though you won't need the pad unless the conditions are spectacularly bad, or unless something gets wet. It's just a matter of:
    1: are the bags big enough to surround the hammock, get them zipped up and leave you room enough to lie comfortably.
    2: can the bags be adjusted so that they are snug against your back, and how big are any top gaps caused by the hammock edges lifting up the top part of the bag? If there are gaps, can you figure out a way to fill them with clothing or other insulation? (if needed, you can always add some loops with shockcord or even nylon cord to apply enough suspension tension to pull the bag up)
    3: Is there a 2 way full length zipper?

There may be one or 2 other minor issues you need to work out. But once you do, and if you can get those 2 bags wrapped around your hammock without too much loft compression and with room for your comfort, you are going to be warm! If you have not done so already, watch Shug's videos.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks guys.

I've watched both of Shugs videos (also great videos, what got me into hanging) and I figure this would be a way of avoiding the top quilt and instead replace it with a bag. They both have full zips so that should be easy enough. And I think an extra wide/long bag would be an nice fit over my current bag. Also it would be nice knowing incase I wanted to some really cold hangs I could throw the pad in there.

Do you guys think I should go down or synthetic for the second bag?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The way I would do it is use the wide bag as a pod, and the inner bag as a sleeping bag. Unless your hammock is very short and narrow, there will always be air gaps. It helps when you have something extra inside the pod.

Be aware that a pod restricts you quite a bit. Which is why I prefer a sock with "normal" insulation (uq/pad and sleeping bag/top quilt).

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    I am working on this project now for some planned December and January trips. I have a set-up with an old REI large down sleeping bag as the pod. I have shock cord running from the top and bottom of the bag to the gathered ends of my Dutch Argon hammock. Inside the pod I have a Warbonnet Yeti UQ and a 20 degree sleeping bag as a TQ. It works well, without the ability to test too low just yet. The issue I see is the same as any sleep system in really cold temperatures, my face. I have a down bomber hat and a wool buff to leave basically just my nose and mouth uncovered. I plan to make a "breath catcher", like Shug has done, to keep my system dry. All this will be under a Superfly tarp to keep the wind down.

I do think using a pad as you are planning could cause some limits to your temps. I have used both pads and now using UQ. I will say once you use a UQ you realize how much more warmth and comfort you gain with a UQ. The air gaps you may experience using a pad and your sleeping bag/pod, could be a problem but nothing that can't be fixed.

Only advice I will give is experiment, experiment and experiment some more. The benefit is you get to sleep in your hammock more. I sleep in my yard so if something goes too bad, I can bail or grab another piece of gear to correct.

Good luck and hang on!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sleestac View Post
    I do think using a pad as you are planning could cause some limits to your temps. I have used both pads and now using UQ. I will say once you use a UQ you realize how much more warmth and comfort you gain with a UQ. The air gaps you may experience using a pad and your sleeping bag/pod, could be a problem but nothing that can't be fixed.
    I don't see how a pad inside a pod would make you colder than just the pod... Unless the pad would prevent closing the pod.

I actually think that a pad with a high r-value will provide more insulation than an underquilt, but the price is comfort. When you lie on a pad, there are no air gaps. Pads are usually completely windproof. With an underquilt you need a protector of some sort, and you never have a contact as close as with a pad. I'm not saying use a pad or pads are better - but I can't fault them for inferior insulation properties.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I set up my hammock last night indoors and found that my bag is a little big. It had a lot of space between the bag itself and the bottom of my hammock which makes me think that doing the normal pea-pod setup would work. I think if I had a little more stuff on the inside it would pull the bag up so it was closer to my body without compressing the down. Im guessing Ill end up just doing the top quilt like normal.

Thanks for all the help guys. Gotta love the hammock community!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't see how a pad inside a pod would make you colder than just the pod... Unless the pad would prevent closing the pod.

I actually think that a pad with a high r-value will provide more insulation than an underquilt, but the price is comfort. When you lie on a pad, there are no air gaps. Pads are usually completely windproof. With an underquilt you need a protector of some sort, and you never have a contact as close as with a pad. I'm not saying use a pad or pads are better - but I can't fault them for inferior insulation properties.
    I agree, pads can be a life saver. Speer always recommended adding a pad to his PeaPod when it was colder than the pod was rated for. But not just laying on(or trying to) the pad that is in the hammock, but putting the pad under neath the hammock, down inside the PeaPod. Then adjust the pod's suspension so that the pod would hold the pad snug up against your back. This may or may not have gotten all the insulation possible out of the pad, but it got a good bit and maintained the comfort of no pad. I have a friend who uses a 50F PeaPod at 20F and colder. He places his pad under the hammock in the pod, and uses a light bag as a TQ inside the pod, and sleeps very toasty and comfy in the 20s and colder. He had done this on two trips with me to the high Rockies where I was using a Speer 20F PeaPod with no pad. We both slept very warm.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_ View Post
    So I set up my hammock last night indoors and found that my bag is a little big. It had a lot of space between the bag itself and the bottom of my hammock which makes me think that doing the normal pea-pod setup would work. I think if I had a little more stuff on the inside it would pull the bag up so it was closer to my body without compressing the down. Im guessing Ill end up just doing the top quilt like normal.

Thanks for all the help guys. Gotta love the hammock community!
    Consider sewing some loops on each end of your bag. Then run some suspension cords from bag ends to hammock suspension. Experiment until just tight enough so that when you lay down in the hammock and zip up the bag(s), they will be just lightly touching your back. You will probably start out with a good sized gap under you, but after the hammock sinks down with you in it and you zip up, if you have it tightened the right amounts on the ends, it should just contact your back. If you need more warmth, allow the pod to sag more and fill the space with clothing or light quilts/bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast