Question Calling all JRB Mount Washington 4 owners!

Hello there! Noonan here!

I was just curious on how you guys like the MW4 compared to other under quilts? I was at first going to get the Warbonnet Lynx Winter Edition, but it seems like it's made specifically for the ridgerunner. I have decided I would rather go with the Mount Washington 4. I watch a lot of Shugemery videos and he seems to speak highly of JRB so I figure I might give them a try! This will be my first under quilt but I'm the type of guy who likes to do a lot of research and get a lot of opinions myself, so that I might just make ONE purchase. Below I have included the hammock I own. It's a cheapy one but it does the job. I am a smaller built guy so I don't need anything that could hold an elephant. That being said, I also like to stay warm, thus the reason I want a full length UQ.... Anyways, can you guys give me some recommendations as to what you think? Are there better underquilts out there? Has jack wronged you in the past? (I doubt that but anyways)... heh... Feel free to discuss different opinions! I love seeing them!

Also, I plan on getting the Warbonnet superfly tarp. Any advice on light but durable tarps? I prefer winter camping so keep that in mind...

My Hammock http://www.amazon.com/Enjoydeal-Port...ammock+bug+net

Images
    Well, there are lot's of good UQs. I have an MW4 and MW3 convertible, and all I can say is they are mighty fine. I have never been able to test the MW4 down to it's rating, but I was toasty at 10F on a JRB bridge hammock and 18F with high winds and poor tarp coverage on a WBBB. It is a fine choice. I don't think I have ever read of any complaints or problems with it. Plus, JRB are famous for fast shipping and great customer service over many years. You might want to consider the water resistant down.

What issue might I run into if I don't do the water resistant down?

Images
    it didn't exist in '08 and '10 when i bought both of mine. just keep it dry at all costs. i don't a undercover or pod thingy. i was just very,very carful with my quilts and one set of clothes.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Ahh yeah. Well I've fallen through a lake once before but luckily my stuff was mostly dry. . Well the stuff in my pack anyways.. I plan on not doing that again lol.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
    Ahh yeah. Well I've fallen through a lake once before but luckily my stuff was mostly dry. . Well the stuff in my pack anyways.. I plan on not doing that again lol.
    There are endless debates on here about whether or not moisture should even be of any concern for a careful, experience, skilled hiker who uses down. There are strong views both ways. And as you can see from Kayak Carl, some or maybe most will do fine even on long trips.

OTOH, I have read of or personally observed some negative results when other folks on long hikes with no sunshine for drying and no nearby towns available for using a dryer, lost a fair amount of loft in their down quilts after < 1 week. This was with zero external moisture getting on the quilts, all simply due to either sweat or condensation or both. Plus, I have personally witnessed a few backcountry mishaps that no one could prevent and the greatest dry bag or all the caution in the world would not help. Things like a snow loaded falling branch ripping holes in a tarp on a windy, stormy night, or a tarp just springing a big leak all on it's own. Because of these experiences, on rare occasions I even lean towards synthetics, either clothing or quilts. Or at least I did before these various Dry Downs became available. I feel confident these new treated downs would cover any unexpected moisture issues on the long trail that arose despite experience and caution. So I will always buy them in the future. But that's just me, many will feel no need for them. (And I wouldn't either on most normal trips, shorter trips and/or any trip where some opportunity to dry out is very likely or I can just bail out with ease. )

But either way, a JRB MW is a very warm UQ for the weight and pack down size, and has always worked for me with little fiddle factor. (mine is untreated)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-10-2014 at 22:12.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    None of the down TQ & UQs we use have the water resistant down. That's four UQs and four TQs. No problems and humidity is a problem here in Louisiana.

Remember wet insulation sucks no matter what.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I'm lucky enough to have the very first prototype MW4 and have had it below 0 a couple times and I was more than toasty! If there is even a hint that it maybe cold I take the MW4.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have the very first prototype MW4 and have had it below 0 a couple times and I was more than toasty! If there is even a hint that it maybe cold I take the MW4.
    Hey DGrav, if memory serves, you were also one of the early users of the BMBH, and with the MW4 quilt. That's a good combo, I'm sure you agree!

• + New Posts