Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ring buck system vs Knots

what is the advantage of using ring buckle system vs using a good knot like a bowline? Adjustability? Why can't you simply use the needed suspension rope length and tie off to the tree webbing/tree huggers with a bowline? I may be missing the point so please help me. The only true advantage I see is if you need to get the suspension line really taut, because you really cant do this with most knots including bowline. A truckers hitch would work, but it would really be hard to untie after loading the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    Why can't you simply use the needed suspension rope length and tie off to the tree webbing/tree huggers with a bowline?
    If that's what you want to do go ahead. Knock yourself out. Of course when you come back and wonder how to make your suspension more adjustable we'll tell you to change the suspension system. But you don't have to do that.

The whole point behind the truckers hitch is it is very easy to untie under load so I'm not sure where you find that problem. It was used in the transportation industry because you could get it real tight and release it very easily.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Two issues with conventional knots like the bowline.

1-may be difficult to untie after being loaded
    2-harder to make small adjustments

Take a look at Grizzly Adams video posts, A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Parts I, II and III.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you do it right the bowline is very easy to untie once it is no longer under stress but that means it has to be completely loose. You simply bend the rabbit trail along the tree and it will loosen right up.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    what is the advantage of using ring buckle system vs using a good knot like a bowline? Adjustability? Why can't you simply use the needed suspension rope length and tie off to the tree webbing/tree huggers with a bowline? I may be missing the point so please help me. The only true advantage I see is if you need to get the suspension line really taut, because you really cant do this with most knots including bowline. A truckers hitch would work, but it would really be hard to untie after loading the hammock.
    I'm happy with using Clark's "drip rings" as a tensioner... this set up makes it very easy to secure & adjust the hammock load. I've abanoned the use of a bowline as it was much harder to make multiple minute adjustments on either end of my hammock. I learned it by watching a video on youtube & Clark's website that shows this clever & easy method of securing my hammock & making desired adjustments. With this method there really is no slipping as the knot tightens up and there are no difficult knots to break loose.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Thought I was a forever knot person. Was pretty much content with just a simple slipped buntline hitch. But then..... Again thanks to fellow HF.net members I saw the light and converted over to the compression/whoppie line set up. Light, simple, it works, inexpensive DIY conversion.
    Noel V.

bowline never slips

well...the reason I use the bowline is because its the only method that absolutely never slips after its tied. Every other method I have used...HH lash, ring buckle back up by two half hitches, etc have always slipped a little after weighing the hammock. Maybe this "slippage" is normal and part of the set up, I'm not sure, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Whatever works for you is good. Life is full of options. We just love to experiment and buy new gear and make stuff.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    well...the reason I use the bowline is because its the only method that absolutely never slips after its tied. Every other method I have used...HH lash, ring buckle back up by two half hitches, etc have always slipped a little after weighing the hammock. Maybe this "slippage" is normal and part of the set up, I'm not sure, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I would wonder if you are hanging your hammock too tightly, ie with out enough sag. I do not usually have my ring buckles slip if I have hung properly and include the safety knot.The weight factor on the suspension and supports increases exponentially as you get closer to horizontal in the suspension. So the more sag you have (within limits) the less stress you put on the suspension the less likely to slip it will be. But as has been noted... it's whatever works and your comfortable with.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    jscalia,
    I have had good luck with the HH lashing other than it's a pain to adjust (well, it takes a little while).

Have you tried cinch buckles? I love them and have had no slippage even without backing them up with a half hitch. If you want to try them, let me know, I'm probably 10 minutes or less from you. They do weigh more than a knot or lashing but I don't carry tree huggers now that I use straps straight from the hammock. I also have some JRB tri-glides you can check out. You can use them without a carabiner if you want to so they can be a pretty light setup. PM me if you're interested. I'm hoping to see Whoopie Slings at the Fall MAHHA hang in November.
    Jay

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast