Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends

Too Tired to Work On My Tarp?

I sat down to put the finishing touches on my Gargoyle Tarp. Well I used two pins, managed to stab my arm on one then my finger on the other pin. Next the machine jammed, a major birds nest. I only have two tieout to stitch so I did not clean everything with alcohol before I started sewing. Sure enough major problems with the stitching. I stopped, cleaned everything, rethreaded the machine. Started sewing the tie outs, machine jammed again, needle flexed and broke. Cleaned everything, checked the bobbin, checked the threading, blew canned air through the feed dogs, everything checked and ready to go. Started sewing, needle flexed and snapped, thought I was going to have part of the needle in my eye.

I am going to wear safety glasses in the future, and I am not going to get my face close to the head again.

Three lessons learned, whatever I do, NEVER INJECT THREAD WHEN TIRED.
    Keep my face away for the head of the sewing machine, I do not need my nose 6 inches away from the needle. Wear eye protectors, you never know when something might come flying into your eye(s).

I knew I was too tired, I thought it is only two tie outs, I can do them in a couple of minutes. I think the needle was too delicate for the number of layers I was sewing so the needle flexed and broke. I can deal with a finger being stitched, however, my eyes and vision are priceless.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    I've wasted thread many times sewing till 2 am.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Same way more mistakes when i am tired i dont sew late anymore
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Sorry, IRONFISH45, but my aggravation trumps yours And besides, two pin pokes at the start should have been fair warning
    Just as I was getting ready to change the blade on my table saw yesterday getting ready to start on a new kayak paddle, the lift mechanism on my saw failed. I spent the rest of the day tearing down the saw, internet searching for parts (very old saw), trying to decide if I would be able to fix it and if it was worth fixing at all. I have fussed over that temperamental old saw for 12 years but now I have a major repair ahead of me (or expensive replacement). OK maybe your trials beat mine - I only received a small sliver that I discovered this morning.
    But...just to read about flying needles make me cringe. And please don't mention 'stitched fingers' again . I can bang myself up in the shop pretty bad and just lick off the blood and go on - but I can't take that! ! saw my mom run needles thru her fingers too many times. I leave the room whenever my wife starts sewing.
    I am getting much better about wearing ear and eye protection.
    Thanks for the warning reminder.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I have learned that when I start to feel tired when sewing...STOP. I end up making mistakes and it's just not worth it. Hope your finger heals up quickly.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Sad part is I KNOW BETTER! I just wanted to get the tarp finished, been fooling around too long and the use of my daughters office (the long table in her office to be exact) is coming to an end. I thought two little areas to inject thread, just a few minutes. Ya sure.

I have been thread injecting since I was a little kid, never been concerned about a needle part ending up in my eye. This was a first and an eye opener.

PLEASE REMEMBER THREAD INJECTING MACHINES ARE MACHINES, PROTECT YOUR EYES.

Long index finger nail or other tools help with pushing fabric through the feed dogs, I no longer get my fingers close to the needle, sure going to make a new rule not to get my unprotected eyes close to my machine while it is turned on. Really when I thought about it, machinery is machinery. I am careful around motors, why was I not using the same caution with my thread injector?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Be sure to check the needle plate and shuttle hook for any burrs the needle strikes may have caused and smooth them out if found. A burr on the hook can be an endless source of aggravation.

Images
    Another thing to watch out for is- don't sew when you're upset. Step back and come back to your project when you've calmed down.Don't ask me how I know this. PS- I had a broken piece of needle fly into my eye once. It didn't penetrate and my eye was fine-close call.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One very common cause of needle flex/breakage is pulling the fabric instead letting the feed dogs move it. It is most common when stitching multiple layers of troublesome fabrics, especially when using silnyl and such. The fabric doesn't have to be heavy it just needs to be troublesome. You start pulling the fabric and it flexs the needle off the right track and whap, bang presto chango you are trying to work with a two or three part needle. One more reason not to work when tired.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts