Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Is it wrong to be comfortable in a short hammock?

First off let me say that I'm not debating that longer hammocks aren't comfortable. I don't know what the theory or science is that decides what makes hammock length so important for comfort. What I do know is that I have and use what is probably the shortest production gathered end hammock out there and I couldn't be happier. So happy that I can't wait to hang in it every night. I'm average build (6', 220 lbs) mid 50's and a side sleeper. While I'm still pretty much a newbie and bought my hammock kinda late in the season, I have no regrets at all about buying a short hammock that has the lie and comfort designed in it. Plus there are other benefits to a shorter hammock like easier tree selection. I can hang from trees 9'-15' which gives me a heck of a lot more options. Other than tweaking my head/foot height, once hung I'm done. Anybody else happy with a shorter hammock? Am I wrong to be happy with mine?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    whatever works for you.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Yes, it is wrong! Blasphemer! Maybe we can find it in our hearts to forgive you?

Actually, I love it! I have always said that, at least in some important ways (but not all), by Speer 8.5 is a contender for most comfy hammock for me. For one thing, it is one of the extremely few non-bridge hammocks I have tried where calf pressure is never really an issue, very important for me. (though I still need something under my knees to avoid too much extension) Also, it is one of the most comy hammocks I have found for sleeping in fetal position. It has it's drawback but this old simple design is a winner. And the funny part: I got the longer Speer model, he also sold an 8 ft model to a lot of folks over the years.

One hammock I have always some what preferred over the Speer and most other hammocks I have tried is still only 10 ft long, the Claytor No Net. Once again, rarely is there ever a problem with calf pressure, plus I have no knee extension issues. And unlike the Speer, I can sleep on my side quite comfy even with legs straight. It is also a narrow hammock FWIW. I have an 11 ft hammock, and it is mighty nice, but so far I have not found it to be any better for me in these important areas.

I have often thought my most consistently comfortable non-bridge is the very long and wide HH Safari. I can't recall exactly, but I think it may be close to 12 ft long, with a huge sag under the ridge line. It is a single layer of some heavy material.

So, you never really know which hammock you will find most comfortable. If you have found a shorty that is good for you, then just celebrate it! Now that you have come out, be proud!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    TZ, no not wrong HYOH , if you really like the shorter hammock you should check out the DD Frontline, Amy has one and it's a 9 1/2 footer with net, dl and a very decent hammock that's pretty well made to boot,, what hammock are you using now?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There is no right or wrong in the hammock world. If your good and comfortable and content then carry forth......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Here is a short one on sale today, cheap and with net

http://woot.us1.list-manage.com/trac...d&e=aaa8fe100d

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Not at all. Many of us use short hammocks. Although reading through HF, it would seem that many appear to argue that longer is better. As with most hammock choices, there is no "right way". I have found that many times people blame the wrong variable when something doesn't seem to work for them, or there try to use a piece of gear the same way as another and since it doesn;t work the same way, the conclusion is "it doesn;t work". This happens no matter whether it is hammocks, their accessories or other gear.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    As I read your post and am now writing this, I am laying in a clark NX 250 hammock outside. The clark is 9 ft long and has a bed width of 50 inches. It is 54 deg and cloudy.
    My clark is my go to winter hammock, and the sides kind of rise up and cup me, making it super easy to keep my TQ around me and keep warmth in. I lay on my back in it to sleep...its more comfortable than on my side. And seems to be easier to wrap the TQ around me and not shift in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    It is never wrong to enjoy the outdoors...even more so if done in comfort (what hammock camping is all about IMO). Since we are all snowflakes short works for you long works for someone else...no sweat.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I'm using a Pak-It- lite FOB and I love it. So much I ordered another customized one with an added window. It's 8 1/2' long

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast