Talking Lurker just bought Skeeter Beeter Pro

Hi, I've been lurking about for a while now reading about hammocks and stealth camping. I finally bit the bullet and bought my first hammock. It's a Skeeter Beeter Pro from Big Edge Sports for $57.89 including shipping. I plan to do some stealth camping from bicycle, foot, and motorcycle around Jefferson City, MO. There are several parks in town and the missouri river runs right by here. This is my first "real" hammock and I need any advice I can get. I plant to use a foam pad and sleeping bag in the winter to try and keep it "on the cheap". I'll probably start out with one of those plastic tarps and later graduate to a nylon one. I'm also planning to ride the entire Katy Trail this fall and hopefully be able to use the hammock for that trip. SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE ARE WELCOME!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum midmorog.

Skeeter Beeter Pro is a well liked hammock in these parts, I'm sure it will serve you well. Rest assured that it is, in fact, a "real" hammock. Pads can keep you warm, but combined with a sleeping bag they may be difficult to manage due to slippage. I really, really don't care for pads directly between me and the hammock, but a Speer SPE really helped me with that issue. Still pads and I much prefer an underquilt, but they do help keep the pad in place and the wings to insulate your shoulders are wonderful.

Very good investment for the pad users IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

I think your choice of beginning hammock is a good one. It is a comfortable and cost efficient hammock that can be modified with more features as you go.

My advice is to get the hammock in and practice setting it up 'as is' and sleeping in it for a night or two. Then, you'll be in a better position to decide anything you'd like to improve or change or learn.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Midmorog,

I'm a user of the SB line of hammocks. I just recently changed from a SB Pro to a SB UL. I switched because of the weight difference even though I think the Pro is more comfortable. I am also using a DIY Speer SPE for bottom insulation. I haven't been able to bite the bullet and sink the $ in an underquilt. Although I can imagine the UQ being more comfortable than the SPE, but the SPE will work for you fine.

I'm using a Ridgerest with the SPE for warmer weather and a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for colder weather. I use a Ray-Way quilt for top insulation. If it gets very cold, I purchased the Campmor 20 degree down sleeping bag to pull up around the hammock and myself. This provides both bottom and top insulation. I got the idea for JustJeff's site (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam...m.html#Pull-up).

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask me. I know Rigidpsycho and CavScout are users of the SB Pro as well and they are more than happy to answer questions.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I also use the SBPro and find it very comfy! I do recommend hanging it stock a few times at first so you can get the feel for what needs tweaking.

It seems convenient until you want "just a little" adjustment, then you'll get slightly frustrated as there are only 2 knots stock on each end (and 5' on either end is fairly limiting, especially since they intend for you to wrap around the tree with same said 5', and it's not enough room for tarp ridgelines in a lot of cases if the trees aren't perfect). I'm pretty sure most SBPro users end up swapping out to a different suspension system, even if just for more flexibility in tree distance. If/when you come to that decision, I'd check out the many suspension threads. Personally, I use the Whoopie Sling attached to Marlin Spike Hitch method for hanging.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Do some backyard testing in temperatures 10 to 20 degrees lower than you expect on the trail or camping. That way you'll be prepared if temperatures unexpectedly drop. You'll be warm and toasty and won't have to suffer through a cold night unnecessarily.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    The Katy trail between where you are and St Louis (where I am) is gorgeous. I've really enjoyed my bike camping trips along the Katy this summer.

This time of year in Missouri when it only gets down to 70 at night you can probably get by without any under insulation. But that time doesn't last very long. When it's 65 or lower at night you need a little something under you.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Be very careful not to accidentally sit on the bug netting when you get into the hammock. It doesn't like to stay thrown up over the ridgelines if you put it there, and if you sit on it there's a very good chance either the netting or zipper will tear. Sounds simple, I know, but I got a SBpro not too long ago and it seems like every time I get in it the netting tries very hard to find its way underneath me.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Good choice. I really like my SB Pro. Go ahead and plan to swap the stock suspension lines with Rings or cinch buckles. Webbing or spyder line, or any other more adjustable suspension. You'll thank yourself the first time you set it up

• + New Posts