Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for the most durable hammock

I'm a new convert to hammock-ism. I am looking to buy my first hammock and I want it to be the most durable one on the market. I like the Claytor Jungle hammock. It boasts of a 5 year service life under hard use conditions. Can anything out there beat that?

I had the DIY idea of taking a king size hemp bedsheet and making my own tied end hammock out of that. Hemp is tougher than cotton and doesn't deteriorate in UV light like nylon does. Thoughts/opinions on this?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    king size sheet is too short for _my_ taste and comfort particularly tied end. YMMV

If memory serves the Grand Trunk products, or some of them have a 10 year warrenty. But I am curious as to your preference for the "most durable." That is, in my recollection, a new "most important" criteria. Not saying its a poor one, simply unusual in my recollection. What kind of use are you planning on giving it?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I tend to be tough on gear. I'm the kind of guy that would rather own a Chevy than a Ferrari. I spend more money at the military surplus store than I do at REI. Durability is just a general quality that I look for in anything I buy. I'll do a search on the Grand Trunk products. Anything else come to mind?

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by slugtrail View Post
    I tend to be tough on gear. I'm the kind of guy that would rather own a Chevy than a Ferrari. I spend more money at the military surplus store than I do at REI. Durability is just a general quality that I look for in anything I buy. I'll do a search on the Grand Trunk products. Anything else come to mind?
    How about asking around at your local Army/Navy stores for an old GI jungle hammock... add mosquito netting, a poncho liner & GI poncho...

They'd probably be pretty durable but they'd also be bulky & heavy...
    KJ

They'd probably be pretty durable but they'd also be bulky & heavy...
    Yea, that's the problem. That and they are too narrow. I'd like to stay away from cotton canvas even if it is bomb proof.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    maybe I'm wrong but I am hearing "low maintenence" rather than "durability" If that's the case I would avoide the natural fibers for outside use. They are not affected by UV radiation that is true but they are subject to mildew and rot which, in my opinion, is more of a problem. Keep the nylon hammock out of prolonged exposure to direct sun and you don't really have to mess with it. Put a natural fiber hammock away damp and you are asking for trouble.

Even Chevy's need to be cared for properly. Keep you boots out of the hammock. Keep your pockets empty of sharp objects and you shouldn't have a problem with any of the well known respected brands.The warranties cover materials and workmanship failure, not failure from abuse or neglect. any of the major hammock brands should stand up well in the field and if treated with a modicum of respect should last quite a while. Those are my thoughts. YMMV.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I like the Claytor Jungle hammock.
    That and they are too narrow.
    IMO, so are the Claytors. If narrow is a quality you want to avoid, I would push you away from the Claytors. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but they are narrow by comparison to most others.

Grand Trunk's waranty period is two years, not ten.
    The Travel Hammock warrants their product(s) to be in good condition and free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of no less than 2 years from the original date of purchase. All warranty issues are eligible for exchange. Their will be no credits or refunds. You may return any unused The Travel Hammock product(s) within 10 days of delivery for a full refund. We will not accept anything we receive after this allotted time. The Travel Hammock will only pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you receive an incorrect or defective product). You will be contacted when we receive the returned product.
    But, I believe their hammocks will be among the most durable. Same goes for the Trek Lights, ENOs, TTTMs, etc. I just think the material they use will last longer and be a little more forgiving than a ripstop rig. Absolutely nothing to back-up that opinion, just an opinion.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Shows how well my memory works. I'm getting old and it's too hot to think right. Thanks for the correction. I thought I saw that figure somewhere but didn't check it.

Edit: I don't feel so bad. I did check where that information came from. It was in the middle of an unfortunate incident a while back where Chief Hammock Officer made a comment. It was _not_ from the recent website. But I am also not completely bonkers. If you care you can do a search for posts by Chief Hammock Officer but the posted warranty of two years is what I would consider official policy.

Edit/edit: Sometimes I can be very anal. This is what I got when I searched the website.

What is the warranty on the hammocks?

All of our hammocks come with a warranty at the time of purchase. Our parachute nylon hammocks carry a 10 year warranty against manufacturer defects, and our ultra light hammocks come with a 2 year warranty
    http://www.thetravelhammock.com/faq.htm

CHO.. If you were not aware this information is still available you might want to check into the situation.

In any event I would suggest that the parachute nylon hammocks (taffeta) are clearly the more durable fabric. Given proper care and reasonable maintenence they should last a substantial time in the field.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 08-19-2009 at 10:46.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

But, I believe their hammocks will be among the most durable. Same goes for the Trek Lights, ENOs, TTTMs, etc. I just think the material they use will last longer and be a little more forgiving than a ripstop rig. Absolutely nothing to back-up that opinion, just an opinion.
    Those listed above are rated for 400# loads while many others are rated for 250 or 300#. The closer you are to the max load rating on the hammock, the more wear you'll put on it. Someone weighing 200# will cause less wear on a hammock rated for 400# than on one rated at 250#, all else being equal. Ideally, you want the working load on the hammock to be substantially (30% or more) less than the maximum load limit.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've seen and handled a lot of different hammocks. One that stands out in the mix for probable durability is the DD Travel hammock. Very sturdy material, strong stitching. Bad news is that they ordinarily ship from England, but on the other hand a number of people here on HF have them and it might be that someone would be willing to sell one to you.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast