Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Double-ended stuff sack for hammocks?

Just got a PolyD 1.4 hammock from Dutch and it came with a double-ended stuff sack. Frankly, I don't see why people like them. I'm so used to stuffing my hammock in a regular stuff-sack that it seems like a lot of work to stuff the hammock in a way that it can be deployed quicker. I was using Dutch Speed Hooks and leads, and I just couldn't see how a double-ended stuff sack made my life easier.

Am I missing something?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah I never understood the double-ended stuff sacks either, seems like unnecessary weight to me (extra drawstring and cord stop) for not a whole lot of gain. Some insight into this would be great!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nosckaj123 View Post
    Yeah I never understood the double-ended stuff sacks either, seems like unnecessary weight to me (extra drawstring and cord stop) for not a whole lot of gain. Some insight into this would be great!
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. There must be some utility to them; otherwise they wouldn't be so popular.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like mine....different strokes for different folks.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    I was stuffing my polyD this morning and forgot the draw in the one end so as I got the hammock halfway in there it call came out the other end all at once.
    I also made the mistake of letting it come off the hammock when I set it up. I think you're going to have to be in the habit of using it just so to make it useful but even then I don't know its anything more than a gimmick. You can always keep on end closed and just use it as a normal sack.

Personally I'd like to try something more like a bishop bag with an additional compartment for the suspension like this horribly crude drawing.

Basically the hammock would come out on side like a bishop bag and you'd have a draw string closure you could stuff the suspension on the right side into still. I'd like to try it, but I doubt it would be worth the bother. Its overkill.

Shock cord might be a better idea than draw string. If the ground is wet and muddy you want to hook to on tree and pull the hammock out at the pace your moving towards the other tree so you don't end up with a bunch of slack on the ground. Its hardly difficult to just hold the slack in your hand and the shock cord would make it harder to stuff back in (maybe, probably) so again its overkill.

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Just got a PolyD 1.4 hammock from Dutch and it came with a double-ended stuff sack. Frankly, I don't see why people like them. I'm so used to stuffing my hammock in a regular stuff-sack that it seems like a lot of work to stuff the hammock in a way that it can be deployed quicker. I was using Dutch Speed Hooks and leads, and I just couldn't see how a double-ended stuff sack made my life easier.

Am I missing something?
    One of my favorite parts of the double ended stuff sack is that it stays on your suspension all the time (One less stuff sack floating around). When I'm ready to pack up, I cinch 1 side at the end of the hammock (with the whoopie still hung on the tree coming out of the cinched end) and then I roll/stuff my hammock in and cinch the other end closed. I always stuff it away such that the fixed end of my SRL is always the first side I hang, helping to prevent the adjustable end of the SRL from coming off the hammock when I go to hang it next.
    I've found the double ended stuff sack helps organize and streamline my hammock setup. But if it's not for you, it's not for you!

Note: I know the idea of the doubled ended stuff sack had already been around but I came up with this on my own in the beginning of my DIY days ~2 years ago and I've loved it since!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I like them, it makes finding the loop ends easier-it keeps them handy. I would be just as happy with a bishop bag but I find the double ender easier to make - I've tied off the draw string on some of mine so they function like a bishop bag and I won't be saddled with that atrocious 2 gram mini cord lock. Whatever works for ya.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nosckaj123 View Post
    You can make one end with shockcord, knotted off leaving a very small opening. Other side with cord and cordlock.
    I made many that way.

Caution on the pocket...if your straps have sap, poison ivy, etc., you run a chance of getting your hammock contaminated.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I like them. I have used them to protect my hammock end from the rain, and I often put in small stuff while it's hanging on the end. I also like that I can leave the dirty and wet suspension outside without having to detach it. Yes, a bishop bag or a normal stuff sack certainly work as well, but I find double ended stuff sacks more versatile. I don't know what the weight penalty is - half an ounce? Don't forget that most closed ended stuff sacks have the fabric folded up in one end - so I'm not even sure if there is a weight difference.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    double-ended or bishop...
    makes keeping the hammock off of the ground easier for me while deploying or packing up.
    Like anything else. takes me 20 or 50 uses (practice) to become comfortable - like second nature.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast