Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

LWRSF 2014 Grinder's Birthday Hang

Wow, what a great weekend we had! Started off pulling up to the kiosk Friday morning around 9am to meet Olddog and Skunkape. I was an hour early because I left to try and beat the Tampa morning rush hour traffic. I was just hanging out for about 15 minutes, when a forest ranger pulled up to ask me if the puppy down the road was mine. I told him no and we chit chatted for a few minutes. He left and shortly after, I see the puppy come trotting down the road. It comes up to my truck, but I didn't open the door, in case he may be wild or something. He seemed very gentle and tired. I watched him leave to head on down the road. He reminded me of my dog and I don't know why, but I decided to get out and call him back. I would find out later, I was glad I did! The rest of the gang showed up, as well as Samsara. We told him about the puppy and he agreed to take him to his house. After taking care of the puppy for a while, the animal control showed up at his house. While giving up the puppy , he decided to ask the guy if they had taken in a dog matching the description of Scooby, his dog. You see, Dave's dog, a companion of over 13 years had wandered off a few days prior. As you can imagine, Dave has been very upset over it. Well, as fate would have it, the animal control officer just happened to have a photo of a dog that was just taken in, that matched the description. It was in fact Scooby!! We got the phone call from Dave as we reached the Isabelle creek campsite. The celebration of Grinder's Birthday Hang had officially begun!! Olddog, Skunkape and myself had just reached the site, after hiking in nearly 7 miles from the south end. Several regulars had backed out of this hang for various reasons and we wondered how many we might have show up. Not even Grinder, who usually beats everyone there, had made it. He finally came strolling in late in the day. We had our dinner and spent the evening chatting and catching up. After retiring to the hammocks, I had an unusually quiet night in the woods. Heard a couple owls and what sounded like a cow early in the morning and that was all. Saturday morning, we had our breakfast and loaded up to head to our next site, Lake side camp. In route to the site, we decided to take an unknown trail, which wound up cutting probably 1 1/2 miles off our trip. We reached the Lakeside camp, to find lilricky, rictorFla, Gone Native and his son Gameboy, already in camp. We greeted each other and later craigc showed up to round out the crew. Saturday night was spent gathered around the fire and waiting for the rain that was expected. We continued to hang out through a light shower, until it started to come down a little harder. We all retired to the hammocks to spend a night listening to the rain on tarps. it continued to rain through the whole night and through packing up this morning. It finally let up for the hike out, which was welcomed. We hit the vehicles and exchanged our goodbyes, until the next one. Once again, had a great time, exchanging ideas and laughing with a bunch of wonderful people! I didn't take many pics this time, but will post them up later. Happy Birthday Grinder!!!
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    My hike in this time was from the kiosk, around the northside of the farm to the reedy creek foot bridge. On Samsara's advice I had my GPS. After the footbridge, the grass growth he had talked about was clear. I lost the trail twice. Also, I wasn't aware that the trail zigged so far away to the east. The GSP has a path labled "Arbuckle Tract Trail"on the GPS. It showed over a ways from the actual marked trail and going straight where I wanted to go.

When the actual trail turned almost straight east and the trail was really faint and not marked well, I convinced myself I missed a turn and backtracked a half mile or so. I had Isabella flagged and it was only about a half a mile away. But there was no trail going that way, so I went back to the marked trail, regardless of what direction and followed it (Muttering how things would be when I was king!!) Eventually I reached portions of the trail I recognized and reached the campground just before dark.

I had prepared a frozen meat loaf, which, once again, I left in the freezer. I stopped at the Dollar General, only store in Frostproof, and bought a $1.00 PACKAGE of hot dogs. Lord knows what was in them, but they tasted fine.

The walk to Lakeside Saturday morning was pleasant. sunny and calm. There were a bunch already there when we arrived. Gone Native and son (who changed his trailname from "gameboy" to "mack 'n cheese"), LilRicky and Richtofla. Craig came in later. We had a nice dinner and talked til rain was near and then went to bed for a long nite.

We were expecting a noisy night, what with air boats and frogs, but my spot 100 yards in, was quiet as you could want. I had ear plugs ready, but never needed them.
    I was warm and dry in my setup. It never blew much, just a steady rain all night. Finally at broad daylight, since the rain wouldn't stop, I got up. My butane stove ran out of gas before the coffee was ready (It's hard to tell how much fuel remains in a canister. I'm going to get rid of the whisperlight and stick to alcohol in the future). I ate oatmeal and fruit cold (like I always do). About half of the crew stayed under their tarps for breakfast.

When I finished packing, I just left rather than waiting around in the rain to walk out en masse. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I had a grand daughter waiting on me after all.
    grinder

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Great write up hangnyak. I got to the kiosk around 10 Sat. morning. Paid up and out of the corner of my eye; I saw craigc heading off into the woods. He took a long trail to head to lakeside camp. I parked down the road in the next lot; threw the pack on and headed out to camp. I took a sorta short route. Got a little confused and wound up at creekside camp. Walked around a bit in camp checking it out; then headed out back to the orange trail blazes. Was almost to lakeside when I heard voices coming up from behind me. It was olddog, hangnyak, and skunkape.We walked into camp and was greeted by the native and macncheese( formally known as Gameboy). Lil ricky was somewhere and then appeared. We all found a spot and started to get set up. Grinder came in shortly after. We all hung out round the table and started eating lunch. After a bit I talked to ricky and we decided to do a little service work cutting up a tree that fell down cross the trail coming into camp. Samsara told us about it. Several reasons to take care of this. It clears the trail, we got some wood cut to burn and it helped out the couple that maintains this trail. The saw I brought well; it just did not do very well. I don't think it will cut a watermelon open. Time for a new blade. lilricky had one of the saws forurdog sells. Trading off using the saw, we made short work of clearing the trail. olddog and macncheese helped us finish up and bring wood to the ring.

We all sat around for abit then cooked some dinner. Talked about the weather coming in; some went and got some rain gear. Some took chances like me and waited till it was raining a little harder to get mine. We returned and swapped more stories while the light rain was coming down. Threw some logs on the fire, talked till it was coming down to hard to keep enjoying it. We turned in for the night. It was nice hearing the raindrops on the tarp. Fell asleep and woke to light raindrops. Which made me enjoy dozing off some more. Finally felt I should get up; only to find most have been up for awhile; ate and started packing up. Walked to firering to get me food and saw Grinder all packed up and getting ready to head out. I stopped and helped him finish up. Said my good bye; gather up my stuff on pic nic table and headed back to my hammock. Stopped by yaks and apes site. Ape was rousing up and yak was finishing his breakfast. Boiled some water for coffee and ate a larabar. Talked to skunkape and hangnyak while eating. Then went over and started packing up. Everybody was done and ready to go but they waited on me so we can head out together. Lilricky showed us a little shortcut to the cars. We made it to the cars and we said our goodbyes. Had a great time meeting up with all. Though it was a overnighter for me, I was glad to get out. Happy Birthday Grinder!!!

I took some pictures but I still am unable to upload. Having problems finding the driver needed to get the pictures. Once I resolve that; I will get them posted!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Can't add much to the trip report other than to say that it was great being back out in the woods again with some fantastic friends. No photos this time, forgot the camera. One of these day I might get around to a check list, or not.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry to have missed this one, it was probably my best chance for a hang until next July or August. I can imagine that with this crew, the only downer would have been the air boats! Knowing is group, a bit of rain couldn't have put a damper on them. Happy Hanging!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like a typical good time from these excellent trip reports. I sure hated to miss this it. I will be catching up in the near future!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    camo diamond fly
    Insulation
    hammock gear 3-sea
    Suspension
    wbbb stock set up
    We love being out in the woods with such a great group of true friends.
    SPECIALK

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I really enjoyed my time out in the woods this past weekend. Since I couldn't get out for Friday night I decided to hike a little more on Saturday so I started the north loop from the Kiosk and worked around to Isabelle creek where everyone stayed on Friday. The trail hasn't gotten much use lately and was grown up pretty well especially between Graves Island and Isabelle Creek. From there I headed pretty much directly across ending up taking Lake Godwin road to the Lakeside site. When I arrived a little after 1 it was already pretty crowded and I had to search for a decent site. I ended up between a pair of cypress trees right on the shore.

Lunch was eaten, later dinner, good company was enjoyed until the rain put everyone to bed. The frogs weren't bad at all during the rain and I only heard one airboat very early in the morning. The rain continued while I packed and cooked breakfast under the tarp but quit just in time to walk back out to the car.

Can't wait to see what we end up doing in December.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Not much for pics, but here's what I got. Never used the camera, only my Iphone. Gee, there's 7oz. I could have left at home.

Puppy found after arriving at the kiosk.

IMG_2085.jpg
    View on the hike from the south gate to Isabelle Creek
    IMG_2086.jpg
    Grinder arriving to camp late Friday
    IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    Hiking to Lakeside camp
    IMG_2089.jpg
    Break time
    IMG_2090.jpg
    Olddog doing.....well....not sure what he's doing. Strip tease??
    IMG_2091.jpg
    My setup at Lakeside camp. Hard time finding spots here.
    IMG_2092.jpg
    After packing everything from inside the tarp, I had my coffee under the Superfly, waiting for everyone to pack Sunday morning.
    IMG_2094.JPG
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks fellas. Glad to see all had a good time. Did olddog make a little extra money? Sorry, had to be asked
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast