Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deciding between two starters

Okay - so after looking at a bunch of starters and taking all the great advice I've received, I'm trying to decide between these two to make sure a hammock works before investing in something like a Hennessy. I have mosquito netting and tarps, so I can rig up something workable with just a hammock:

Manufacturer Model Length Width Weight Price Capacity
    Travel Hammocks Parachute 10'5” 5' 16 $45.00 400
    ENO Single Nest 9'10” 4'7” 18 $49.95 400

These are manufacturer specs - it sure seems like the Travel Hammock is the better deal - especially for a big guy. Longer, wider, lighter, cheaper. Huh? What am I missing? Any reason to choose the ENO over the other?

Thanks!

-Curt

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Okay - so after looking at a bunch of starters and taking all the great advice I've received, I'm trying to decide between these two to make sure a hammock works before investing in something like a Hennessy. I have mosquito netting and tarps, so I can rig up something workable with just a hammock:

These are manufacturer specs - it sure seems like the Travel Hammock is the better deal - especially for a big guy. Longer, wider, lighter, cheaper. Huh? What am I missing? Any reason to choose the ENO over the other?

Thanks!

-Curt

Curt, I can't speak intelligently for the TH Parachute Hammcok, but I can say this: I have an ENO single and double. I like them both. A lot. The ENO hammocks are EXCELLENT quality products. The only thing I'm willing to change to something else for is something homemade. But do yourself a favor and stay away from the ENO DryFly Rain Tarp and the Slap Straps. The DryFly doesn't provide near enough coverage, especially in heave downpours (Like the Pacific NW gets) and the Slap Strap stretches WAYYYY too much for my taste.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I have an ENO singlenest and weighed it WITH the Biners and it weighs 17oz

I got a good deal on a MacCat standard size tarp and it weighs 11oz with stakes.

Also campmore sells a deluxe bug net bivy type thing for 35ish dollars. I plan on getting one of them. They weigh 12oz. I think. The ENO bug net weighs like a lb.

Congrats on buying a hammock! Welcome!

Hmmmm ... two thumbs up for the ENO so far. Anybody have experience with the Travel???

This site is great!!

-Curt

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    This site is great!!
    Thanks Curt and welcome to the hanging gang. You'll learn TONS here. I've been a member a lil more than a month and have already learned more than I had ever planned. Careful though, the DIY bug is going around!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    another for the eno, i had used all, but i go back to the eno. i had my single eno for 4 1/2 yrs no. no sign of wear . and i am on the , shall we say...hefty sidealso have the dbl.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Images
    If I only knew more about the suspension of the TH. I always go for the lighter hammock, but if it has a crappy SS then go for the ENO.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    If I only knew more about the suspension of the TH. I always go for the lighter hammock, but if it has a crappy SS then go for the ENO.
    Does anybody know about the suspension on the Traveler? Heck - does anybody know ANYTHING about it?

It seems odd that it's wider, longer, lighter, and cheaper but nobody's singing its praises. Hmmmm......

-Curt

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Does anybody know about the suspension on the Traveler? Heck - does anybody know ANYTHING about it?

It seems odd that it's wider, longer, lighter, and cheaper but nobody's singing its praises. Hmmmm......

-Curt
    Cheaper isn't always better, bear that in mind. Example: my first wife.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Thanks!

-Curt
    http://www.hammock-company.com/camping-hammocks.asp

Check out this site. Looks like the same parachute hammock for $24....also some good buys on some Hennesys.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast