Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Texas Fall Hang 2014

It seems a little surreal that the time has flown by and another amazing Texas Hang is now in the books. I had a great time hanging out with 100 or so of my old and new friends in the trees of Fairfield Lake State Park. Each year this event seems to get better and better. This time around, in addition to folks coming from all corners of the Lone Star State, we had a fun time sharing trees and campfires with our friends from Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and beyond. As crazy as 20 hour motorcycle rides, all night bus rides, and planes along with rides from strangers/people just met on the internet seems, it was great to have Colorado, Arizona, and Michigan represented.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and comments from those who were out there!

I truly appreciate how such a diverse group of people from all walks of life can come together based upon a common desire for a good nights sleep in the woods.

Special thanks go out to Brandy for teaching about eating trees; to Rat and Hummer91 for sharing their expertise with ropes, knots and splicing; to Oldgringo, my favorite barista for his gallons of great coffee; to Captn and his lovely assistants for giving away a record number of "tree prizes"; to all the great cooks who put together the 100 meter buffet, (okay it wasn't measured, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it); to EastTexasHanger for the name tags and Sweedish Candle; to ErinKae for beginning a historical record of what we do; to Roz for her sign work telling us where to go and when as well as keeping the breakfast line moving; to my bride Cindy, Zac, Cheryl, Chris, Derrick and our friends James & Alison along with many other hands who made saturday breakfast such a success, the most hospitable State Park staff ever, and my partner in cat herding and hosting, Alan. Also a special thank you to those I just flat out forgot to mention who realize they are appreciated and I am just forgetful and to those who publicly correct my mistakes in the following posts.

My hope now is to see some pictures of what we did, some comments and conversation, and I am especially looking forward to seeing posts of prize winners using their new gear as they thank the tons of donors for what they gave away. (The free prizes included several hammocks, a top quilt, a tarp, a gift certificate, cook kits, jalapeño macaroni and cheese, books, diy supplies, straps, slings, hardware, lights and many more. The really amazing thing is, these were not solicited donations. They were generously offered up and greatly appreciated.)

Okay, enough typing, let the pictures, name dropping, revelation of donors, and posting begin!
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 11-10-2014 at 23:43. Reason: typo correction
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Images
    Subscribing I love these big hang trip reports.

The free prizes included several hammocks, a top quilt, a tarp, a gift certificate, cook kits, jalapeño macaroni and cheese, books, diy supplies, straps, slings, hardware, lights and many more. The really amazing thing is, these were not solicited donations. They were generously offered up and greatly appreciated.
    WOW! that is awesome props to all who donated.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! This hang has really grown since I was there some 4 years ago! I'm not at all surprised though as that core group that I met are a bunch of the nicest folks to hang with. From the picture of the table, it looks like 100 meters!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Nice pics Hum. Cheryl will hopefully post ours tonight. I am sitting in the airport wishing I was still at the lake lining up for some java.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag Cocoon
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Awesome pictures! I did not get to take as many as I hoped- forgot my camera. But I will upload a few that I did take with my phone later this evening.
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    --J. R. R. Tolkien

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Best Hang ever! It was great to see everyone, old and new (and there were many new faces this year)! special shout out to the Night Owls, you know who you are; we solved many of the Nation's and a few of the World's problems next to the wash tub this year! It was my genuine pleasure to share a fire with everyone!

Gage had a blast; in fact, he already has the electronic version of Hive on the tablet. Thanks to Jacob/Throkda for bringing the games; the kids (and kids at heart) loved them.

The food was spectacular! I didn't eat one bad thing, and I ate A LOT! My favorite, as always, was Sandpiper's Banana Pudding but Zortswife's dish gave them a good running for first!

There were many great set ups this year, but I think I was most impressed with Baby Huey's Bug Out Trailer. Once the mods for hanging hammocks is complete, that thing is going to be awesome.

Thanks to Derek/Dejoha for coming and bringing the all the extra gear to show off. Not to mention the laughs and vast amount of hammock knowledge you contributed; I, for one, really appreciate it (and so does Amok!).

There were too many cool things to mention, like Cookie Coon's Danger Bird clone, the new Dutch bling and Hammockfan gear, the Texas Flag top quilt (Paul has some MAD skills); like I said, too much to mention it all here!

I forgot my cameras this year, sorry, no pictures from Rat...

Only 362 days until the next one!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Texas Fall Hang 2014

Our group had to camp out back in the woods, but we had a great time! It was cool meeting new people and learning new stuff. We can't wait for next year!
    Last edited by ksbcrocks; 11-10-2014 at 10:05.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag Cocoon
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    My group had an awesome time meeting everyone! They are already looking forward to next years hang. Thanks to all the cooks and people who donated/hammocks for show!

Special thanks to:
    Zortswife for the onion bread
    Chris for the pizza grill
    UncleMJM for making this awesome event happen + the helpers (too many to name)
    Easttex aka cookie coon for just being an awesome person (Mike still can't stop talking about the hammock)
    Mikethebeard- for letting me use all his amsteel

Can't wait for the next hang!! Hopefully we will get to see some of you before then though.
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    --J. R. R. Tolkien

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you UncleMJM and all who had a hand in this event. As so many have said before, It gets better every year. Getting to reconnect with old friends and making new ones! Glad I was able to be apart of giving back with the hammocks given. I'm already in planning mode for next year!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast