Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Adding Zipper to Hennessy

Needless to say that I'm new to the whole hammock camping experience and I've learned alot on this forum by reading alot of threads(this forum is a great resource!). I just acquired a used hennessey hammock recently with the bottom entry and I was interested in adding the side zipper entrance. I've seen alot of post and threads on 2qzq adding zippers. They seem like a great couple that does really good work(I also like their testamony on their "About us" page). I'm sure I will be sending them business in the near future on other mods. However, after reading all of this DIY stuff, I was thinking that I might like to try adding the zipper myself (pride thing) since I have some experience with a machine. Are their any good write-ups/videos on how to perform this and what type of material is recommended(zipper, tape, etc..)?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    If you take a look in the DIY section I think 2QZQ, have thrown in some comments along the line about what they are using. Just troll thru. Been thinking about doing the same myself.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks Hudson. I've found some information but no great write-ups. I'll keep looking.

Hammock
    WBBB , DIY double
    Tarp
    Catcut /doors, OE
    Insulation
    Tewa 3/4, WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle&web
    For the money, it's worth it to get 2qzq to modify your Hennessy. The workmanship is great, as well as it is definitely useable or saleable after. Just my $.02.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Start with your hammock on the floor, stretched out fully. Now _pretend_ to cut along the seam between the body and the bug net. Sit at your sewing machine and drag the hammock over the sewing table between two and four times to simulate the application of the zipper. Remember that at any time in that process you can catch the hammock in the machine folding, spindling and mutilating the body or bug net. Remove the hammock from the sewing table to simulate the number of times you will have to rip out some errant stitches. (at least 5 times if you are anything like me.) Roll the hammock up, put it in a box and ship it to ZQ following the appropriate ordering protocols. Job done. Yea!!!!!
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Go for it and good luck. What do you have to lose....except a decent hammock, time, extra money, temper, religion, money that wasn't to be wasted, and perhaps a goodly portion of your sanity, not necessarily in that order. Props to you if and when you DIY the mod. It won't mean a tinkers ____, but you'll have my respect. You're better and braver than I am and that's the truth Ruth.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    hennessy rain fly
    Suspension
    readystraps
    Check youube!!

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Start with your hammock on the floor, stretched out fully. Now _pretend_ to cut along the seam between the body and the bug net. Sit at your sewing machine and drag the hammock over the sewing table between two and four times to simulate the application of the zipper. Remember that at any time in that process you can catch the hammock in the machine folding, spindling and mutilating the body or bug net. Remove the hammock from the sewing table to simulate the number of times you will have to rip out some errant stitches. (at least 5 times if you are anything like me.) Roll the hammock up, put it in a box and ship it to ZQ following the appropriate ordering protocols. Job done. Yea!!!!!
    And that my friends is how you do a 2QZQ zipper mod!!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In all seriousness here... there is a huge difference between building a quilt or tarp from scratch and trying to retrofit some thing as complex and complicated as a zipper into an already built item. I will tackle a new build of almost anything before I try to do retrofits to even simple items. I'm not saying don't try it. But be plenty prepared for what you are getting into. Not sure how good a stitcher you are but my professional level wife rolled her eyes and as much as said, "No way." She wanted none of it, particularly after she heard that ZQ was set up to do it for a very reasonable price. Pride be danged... I'd rather keep my wife happy.

ZQ
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling