One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Quilt seam question

I'm going to be starting a UQ in the very near future and am thinking of trying a different construction technique around the edges. First off, does a double fold seam add any structural integrity to the seam? My thought is no as the outside will still only have one layer of fabric. My thought is to do a 1/4" seam and use a lighter to get rid of the strings since I don't have a hot knife. Then I'm going to make use of one of the double fold bias tape attachments with a 1" piece of ripstop to make the shock cord channels on each side. I already need to trim the width of the fabric down, so cutting a couple strips with a rotary cutter shouldn't be much extra work. In my mind anyway, this will be less fiddle factor than trying to do a double fold seam big enough to run cord though and lighter than using grosgrain. It also allows me to trim the quilt in a different color if I so desire. Anyone see any flaws in my logic or plan?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    It is stronger for a double fold as the stitching goes through the two layers, it would normally fail at the stitching. I did two rows of stitching so no single point of failure.

I went with a double fold at the edges, which in one go joined the inner and outer and created the channel out of the same fabric so no binding needed.

It can take sometime to seal the edges, so i use a small candle its easier to have that sitting there and use two hands to keep the fabric taught when running it through the flame quickly.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    It is stronger for a double fold as the stitching goes through the two layers, it would normally fail at the stitching. I did two rows of stitching so no single point of failure.
    I would agree that two rows of stitching would be stronger, and that would be accomplished to a point with the binding. The thing with a double fold is that the outside stitching still only has one layer of fabric.

• + New Posts