I need a multi-use sleep system

I am a new hammock camper. After years of contemplating the switch I finally bought a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip. My first hang was uncomfortable due to an improper setup but my second hang was perfect and I am hooked! My problem is I have limited funds and my ten year old granddaughter wants to take up backpacking in the Smoky Mountains with me. This means that I will on occasions need to go to the ground. I am looking for suggestions for a sleep system suitable for both types of camping and tips on keeping warm while using the same system while hammock camping.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    No need to go to ground, get her a hammock set up. there are alot of cheap starter hammocks out there that could work for her.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You're gonna pay a weight/comfort penalty for a dual ground/hammock setup. So your only choice, if you want to be versatile, is to use the pad in hammock and tent.

I hated using pads in my hammock, and find UQs to be exquisite. So get ready to make sacrifices if that's the kind of system you want.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You're gonna pay a weight/comfort penalty for a dual ground/hammock setup. So your only choice, if you want to be versatile, is to use the pad in hammock and tent.

I hated using pads in my hammock, and find UQs to be exquisite. So get ready to make sacrifices if that's the kind of system you want.
    This.

While it's possible to use an hammock as a tarp/bug bivy combo by utilizing your pack as a torso pad and your hiking poles as support struts, it's less than ideal. You'll want a groundsheet under the hammock (a poncho does pretty well here) since you really don't want to punch an hole in that fabric, and to use your underquilt (either in a stuff sack or in your pack liner) as a pillow. It's going to be less than comfortable, however.

There are a couple of manufacturers of hammocks that double as waterproof bivvies on the market, but they're generally heavier and slightly more expensive than dedicated hammocks.

The Smokies may require sleeping in the shelter on the AT, but there are multiple backcountry campsites that (while you still need a reservation) don't have any shelters at the site and therefore allow hanging at the site. Check with MedicineMan: he and Poof hike and bike up that way a lot, and they may have some insights as to which campsites are best suited to hammockry.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Why not get Dutch's new system which lets you hang two hammocks side by side on the same suspension? I don't know if your tarp is separate from your hammock on the Hennessy but you can usually spread normal tarps out (sometimes with the use of some poles or pieces of wood) wide enough to just cover two hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Maybe have a look at the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed. Here's a review by Derek. It would allow you to use a pad instead of an underquilt, which means you could easily go to ground. Just take a groundsheet and learn how to set up the hammock and tarp as a bivy.

There are a couple of hammocks that are designed to set up as a bivy, e.g. the Switchback, but I don't know how well they work with a pad.

• + New Posts