Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom

Good total weight for hammock and tarp? Am I too heavy?

My total weight is 4lbs exactly. GT SBP, PahaQue HM20R double rain fly, stakes, straps, guy lines etc... Everything I need to setup minus insulation. Is this a good weight for winter?
    I'd be a pound less in summer with my lighter rain fly.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    At the risk of being howled down with shouts of derision. The right weight is what you can comfortably carry for the distance you plan to travel when combined with all your other gear but (most importantly) Sleep well and be comfortable.

Pack up your bag and go a long walk with it on. You'll soon know.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    At the risk of being howled down with shouts of derision. The right weight is what you can comfortably carry for the distance you plan to travel when combined with all your other gear but (most importantly) Sleep well and be comfortable.

I'm looking for education, I guess. Is 4lbs excessive? Should I swap-out straps for whoopie slings? Would YOU carry a 4lb hammock/tarp set-up?

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBushcraft View Post
    I'm looking for education, I guess. Is 4lbs excessive? Should I swap-out straps for whoopie slings? Would YOU carry a 4lb hammock/tarp set-up?
    yes - but I don't walk more than a couple of miles to my location.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Don't stress too much about the weight, but my 11' hammock & tarp with all the suspension gear weighs less than half of your 4 pounds and I didn't factor in the additional weight savings of my empty wallet. Lol

Cuben fabrics, Dynaglide, 1.2 oz Polly D fabric, Dutch speed hooks, etc. will lighten up you and your wallet.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    4lbs isn't excessive, most double wall tents weigh more... If you want to be as light as possible then you could definitely get a lot lighter. My 3 season tarp weighs 14ish oz with stakes and lines. 11' HyperD 1.0 Hammock with speedhook suspension will be somewhere around 10-12oz. If I need a bug net add another 6 or so oz. For winter, my tarp weighs an addition 7oz. So I guess I'm around 2lbs +-

How is the weight in the rest of your pack? I think the total weight is what's important as well as the distance your covering and in what conditions you'll be backpacking.

You're height and weight are also factors for hammock fabrics and dimensions, taller heavier people need a larger hammock of heavier fabric = larger tarp and insulation, clothing, probably more food and water too.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Remember to look at the weight of your insulation too. That's where weights really start jumping up. My winter setup had my TQ and UQ as pretty much half my total shelter weight.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That sounds good to me. Mine is about 3.45lb, close to 4lb if I use my Superfly tarp. We're talking about two of the most important items in your pack here, so I don't think you should worry too much about shaving weight off if you're happy with it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBushcraft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Don't stress too much about the weight, but my 11' hammock & tarp with all the suspension gear weighs less than half of your 4 pounds and I didn't factor in the additional weight savings of my empty wallet. Lol

Cuben fabrics, Dynaglide, 1.2 oz Polly D fabric, Dutch speed hooks, etc. will lighten up you and your wallet.
    MAD777 has the right of it here. Outdoors comfort is a sliding scale between cost/comfort in camp (read: "luxuries")/comfort on trail (read: "weight"). For what you spent on your set up and the research it required, you're not doing bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    Remember to look at the weight of your insulation too. That's where weights really start jumping up. My winter setup had my TQ and UQ as pretty much half my total shelter weight.
    This, right here, is very good advice. My 20* insulation is roughly 1.66 times the weight of my total shelter (note that I skip a lot of what most folks consider "camp comfort" in favor of carrying the least stuff possible on as small a budget as possible).

Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post

And this is probably the best advice you'll get. What matters, in the end, is how it feels to you, not what it weighs compared to everyone else's gear.

As to the breakdown of my shelter...

DIY 10.5' x 54" gathered-end hammock (going to upsize this to 11' x 58" in the next model, but it works pretty good for me now), including whoopie slings and ovesized snakeskin (think "Lazy Slug Tube"): 458 g/16.16 oz

8' tree straps and mini 'biner toggles: 129 g/4.55 oz

DIY asym tarp, including suspension and stakes: 319 g/11.25 oz

DIY 20* 3/4 UQ (including suspension): 483 g/17.03 oz

DIY 50* TQ/over quilt for modular system: 347 g/12.24 oz

40* poncho liner/inner quilt for modular system: 719 g/25.36 oz

Total: 2,455 g/86.59 oz/2.455 kg/5 lbs, 6.59 oz

That's for 20*, comfortably. I'm going to be doing a 30* down top quilt to give me more temperature options, sized as an inner quilt to mate with the current 50* down outer quilt, and adding a vapor barrier (space blanket) and under cover (doubles as my poncho) to my UQ system to extend capabilities down into the teens, possibly the single digits fairly soon (read: "some time in the next two years"). It should cut ~7 oz/200 g off of my 20* weight and only add ~1 oz to my "teens, possibly single digits" system as I already carry the under cover/poncho as my rain gear.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's important to use what works for you, but I think it's even more important to use other hikers' weights and gear to tweak your own.

Just 2 years ago, a 35lb+ total pack weight was my norm and comfortable for me. Now I'm around 25lb, obviously much more comfortable. I never would have gotten there if I didn't look at the weights of others and tweak my gear list, constantly questioning mine.

I'm glad I didn't settle for the 35lb! My knees and 50 year old body (15 years from now) will probably thank me too. Yes HYOH, but it never hurts to hike along with others as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast