Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

TX>Montgomery>LSHT>12/5/14 Cold Weather Full Moon Trip

I think I'm gonna be heading out to the LSHT on the weekend of 12/6/14. A couple of us scouted the camping locations a couple of weeks ago, and the camping spots will be the same, but the route will be different.

However, if we can't get a couple of volunteers to drop a shuttle vehicle at Parking Lot #2, this won't come off.

General plan will be to camp at the campsite 1.08 miles west of Parking Lot #4 on Friday Night, then hike Satruday to camp at the campsite near the intersection of that trail with Sand Branch Trail:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...ess_shaded.pdf

then hike out Sunday morning to Parking Lot #2 and go home

What we're hoping for is two or more early arriving vehicles to park one or more vehicles at Parking Lot #2, then drive over to parking Lot #4 to hike into the Friday night campsite.

This is scheduled on a Full Moon weekend as there will be some night hiking required for anyone arriving after 1800 on Friday (and I'm probably going to be one of those people).

This can be considered as a Beginner's to Moderate experience hike, with the night hiking and shuttle requirement adding the complicating factors. The terrain is easy with a few ups and downs into the creek beds.

This is not a "guided hike". The loops in the area can be combined to make several hikes of different lengths from 2 1/2 miles to over 8, and as long as 15 miles between the two campsite, and anyone who comes can choose their own route. I'm out for a walk with my dog and my God and to have some good campfire fellowship with friends. I'll be taking a route that I have not traversed before down the LLCL to the Sand Branch---a little over 5 miles. I will make supper Saturday night---a "campers Thanksgiving". I'll need a couple of folks to volunteer the use of their stoves and cozies to help out, and to pack in a few of the components.

Old Farmer's Almanac says its going to be cold this winter, so be prepared for that. Its also Hunting Season on the LSHT and the regs say you must wear at least 400 square inches of blaze orange while hiking in the woods.

There is a pond where we will be camping, so water filtration is possible but, as always on the LSHT, bottled water is preferred. You will need to bring breakfast for Saturday and Sunday, lunch on Saturday, snacks, and perhaps a dinner for Saturday night in case my dinner turns into a disaster, or you have dietary restrictions that prevent you from eating stuffing, taters, chicken, or gravy.
    Last edited by sargevining; 11-12-2014 at 10:48.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Subscribed and a hopeful maybe yes..

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am a tentative yes, have to check and see if i can get a kitchen pass for the weekend.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

I will check with Baby Huey, but this sounds like fun.

This sounds like a blast just waiting for people to enjoy it. Hopefully our order from Paul and Missy at UGQ comes in and we will be more than prepared for the weather. We will make plans to attend barring any catastrophic events. I think it is pretty cool that it appears that Cheryl's first post on the forum is on Sarge's lawn.

P.S. Should weight and pack space be set aside for Ho-Ho's?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Ho Ho's not required, but some folks might appreciate cranberry sauce with their chicken and stuffing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    it looks like i have a kitchen pass, the only thing holding me back might be having a good hammock. Currently selling my XLC and waiting on my Thunderbird to get built and shipped. I might not sell the XLC though if the price i want isn't met. So we will see.

And i refuse to sleep in my backup hammocks in december if i dont have to, they are better suited to the summer i think.

If my hammock options take me out of this, i might still be able to be the staging area person, i can just bring my RV and have water and what not for everyone.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

I'll see what I can do. Hopefully will get a pack before then.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    it looks like i have a kitchen pass, the only thing holding me back might be having a good hammock. Currently selling my XLC and waiting on my Thunderbird to get built and shipped. I might not sell the XLC though if the price i want isn't met. So we will see.

And i refuse to sleep in my backup hammocks in december if i dont have to, they are better suited to the summer i think.

If my hammock options take me out of this, i might still be able to be the staging area person, i can just bring my RV and have water and what not for everyone.
    The underquilt or pad will be the determining factor. When it comes to winter, the thing that matters least is the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I'll see what I can do. Hopefully will get a pack before then.
    I have a loaner for you if you don't bring too much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast