Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!

Cheap easy DIY underquilt

I haven't been on here for a while. Thought I would share my Walmart blanket under quilt. It's just a cheap twin sized comforter. I cut open the corners and sewed some channels on all sides. Ran some shock chord through all the channels. All the shock cord is held together with different knots at this point. So I have to untie and retie knots to adjust it, but it seems to work well. Doesn't compress very well, but I can get it and an unmodified comforter(for a top quilt) stuffed in a compression stuff sack that came with another sleeping bag I have. Which fits perfectly in the pocket of my bag that I want it to. I wish it was less bulky and better insulating, but I think it's pretty darn good for less than $20 bucks.

2014-11-12 22.06.01.jpg
    2014-11-12 22.05.35.jpg
    Last edited by twandawg85; 11-12-2014 at 23:30.

Any idea what the weight is? (might be on the label for the comforter)

Also, what's the comforter filled with? I'm sure it's synthetic, but does the label say what it is?

Final question and I'll shut up: what material is the shell of the comforter?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    I have no idea the weight, but it's definitely not ultralight!

Shell and fill are both 100% polyester. It's wider than it needs to be, I could probably cut off about a foot and a half. Plenty warm when adjusted right. I slept in it last night, (as I described earlier with a similar comforter as a top cover) in just a pair of underwear and I kept waking up covered in sweat. That was inside in the cool basement so probably mid to high 60s. So it's Little to much insulation for sleeping inside.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Anybody ever seen or done anything like this before? I'm thinking about buying another and sewing the bottom into a foot box to make a better top cover.

Other than size and weight can anybody think of any major drawbacks to this setup?

Are there problems with this material? Am I just crazy? (well I know I'm crazy, but what's the fun in being sane?)

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    For $20 you're not crazy.

It's probably sewn through construction. But if you made an UQ protector out of a cheap polycro window kit ($7) then you'd increase the insulation value quite a bit.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Pad+bag. UQ soon.
    Suspension
    Whoopie+TH
    My first foray into bottom-hung insulation was very similar.

I took an old rectangular sleeping bag and attached it like this:

using a small wooden bead at each corner. (I can't think of the name of that sort of fastening.) I just used a loop of string without tying out to another point so it was only suspended from the hammock.

It worked incredibly well for indoor use. I usually woke up perfectly comfortable without a blanket after kicking it off at some point in the night.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    If it's a bit hot to use for inside loosen the ends to allow a bit of air flow in.
    Can regulate the temp to be more comfortable.
    Looks good!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It works and that's all that matters in the end. Sounds like it's kind of like a poncho liner set, maybe a little more bulk. Sounds like you don't know the temp range on it yet.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Well I purchased another today to make a top cover. The big tag (that had already been removed from my UQ comforter) says 1lb 6 oz of filling material. I have no idea about the shell weight, but that should give you guys who know a little more a better estimate. So I am guessing the UQ comforter has a little less filling because it is a regular twin and the one i purchased today is a Extra Long Twin. Made by the same company, with a different sewing pattern, but essentially the same.

No idea on a temp range. Any way to guess what the temp range might be other than just experimenting? Not that I don't want to experiment, I'm just not going to be able to for a while. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming! I have learned so much from this forum. And I intend to learn MUCH MORE!! THANK YOU ALL!!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by twandawg85 View Post
    No idea on a temp range. Any way to guess what the temp range might be other than just experimenting? Not that I don't want to experiment, I'm just not going to be able to for a while. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming! I have learned so much from this forum. And I intend to learn MUCH MORE!! THANK YOU ALL!!
    To estimate you would need to know the exact type of fill and amount to calculate the CLO. But even if you know that it is still user specific and some people sleep warm and others are cold. So, basically if you knew the first points that would just give you a starting range to play with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast