Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends

Yipee, Wow, We Have A Rare Blizzard Watch/Warning

Wow, I am ready, this is going to be great. I just finished my Gargyle tarp using Argon Silnylon, my TQ is ready to go. My UQ is dicey, but I will fix that one way or another. Wow, a blizzard that will only last a short period of time, then melt and be just a fond memory. No crazy temps like Shug and some of you play with. Nope just a quick freeze, lots of snow (I hope). Maybe some freezing rain, I hope that does not happen, snow, is great, freezing rain is beautiful, makes excellent images, however it is dangerous and nasty to be out in. I do not want to test my gear out in the bush with ice girdled trees coming down, so hope the freezing rain does not happen.

I wonder how the Argon Silnylon will do if we get the freezing rain, I think I will use the suggested tensors on my lines. Maybe the ice will slide right off? I am taking some decent reading material and against my better judgement some food incase I end up staying out longer than intended.

Wow, I really needed something unexpected and interesting to happen. So happy my projects are finished. I am in the Columbia River Gorge, where all the action is scheduled to take place. Let it snow and blow!

Images
    Holy cow Ironfish that is some serious excitement. You better take picts of surviving this weather in your newly assembled kit. We want a full report.

Sounds fun!

From my experience-IT takes a lot of ice accumulation to get to the tree down stage. Branches are a bit different though. NOAA puts out freezing rain advisories and warnings around here. Then they tell you how much of an ice accumulation is expected. Go to the local page for the area you want to camp and read the warnings and forcast discussions for some good ideas on what to expect. Their blizzard warnings mean snow. . .and a lot of wind. Both can be changed into different warnings during the storm. Maybe take a weather radio out with you to stay updated if you won't have internet access.

I love blizzards around here!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Holy cow Ironfish that is some serious excitement. You better take picts of surviving this weather in your newly assembled kit. We want a full report.
    +1

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Sounds fun!

From my experience-IT takes a lot of ice accumulation to get to the tree down stage. Branches are a bit different though. NOAA puts out freezing rain advisories and warnings around here. Then they tell you how much of an ice accumulation is expected. Go to the local page for the area you want to camp and read the warnings and forcast discussions for some good ideas on what to expect. Their blizzard warnings mean snow. . .and a lot of wind. Both can be changed into different warnings during the storm. Maybe take a weather radio out with you to stay updated if you won't have internet access.

I love blizzards around here!
    I think NW Oregon is very different from WI, Oregon is a huge guessing game. The Columbia Gorge is a big channel kind of funnels the cold and wind right down to the Pacific Ocean. The Gorge goes from high prairie, mountains, ocean. Very beautiful in my opinion, however it is almost impossible to guess the weather. Some years we have had waterfalls turn into solid ice interrupting the major north-south flow of traffic. Sometimes several feet of snow, other years it never gets below 45 F. Most of the time the weather is moderate, but damp. Rare to get a real storm. Maybe once or twice a year the freeway is closed, mainly over the wind sometimes wind and ice.

We do not get the big long storms like you folks east of us. My other home is in B.C. in the North, storms are frequent and serious. Nothing like Oregon, I love it here when it storms because it only lasts a little while, normally the snow melts in a day or two unless you are in the higher elevations. We do have year around skiing if you want to pay for it.

Right now it is grey some wind gusts, we are right at 32 F. My nest is cozy. Hopefully the rain will turn to snow, freezing rain is bad, nasty stuff at least in my experience, beautiful though. We have trouble with trees coming down with the weight of the ice, our fir trees are not as dense as they once were, their root system is shallow, they depend on lots of other firs to keep standing. With all the logging, storms and development our trees have thinned out so when we have ice storms we lose even more trees, not to mention the limbs that are coated in ice. Anyway, I am toasty prepared and very comfortable.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Hoping for snow as well. Got the fireplace going, chopped up the wood from the wind storm. Kids home from school playing games / running treadmill. Nice warm house. It could be worse...

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I think NW Oregon is very different from WI, Oregon is a huge guessing game. The Columbia Gorge is a big channel kind of funnels the cold and wind right down to the Pacific Ocean. The Gorge goes from high prairie, mountains, ocean. Very beautiful in my opinion, however it is almost impossible to guess the weather. Some years we have had waterfalls turn into solid ice interrupting the major north-south flow of traffic. Sometimes several feet of snow, other years it never gets below 45 F. Most of the time the weather is moderate, but damp. Rare to get a real storm. Maybe once or twice a year the freeway is closed, mainly over the wind sometimes wind and ice.

We do not get the big long storms like you folks east of us. My other home is in B.C. in the North, storms are frequent and serious. Nothing like Oregon, I love it here when it storms because it only lasts a little while, normally the snow melts in a day or two unless you are in the higher elevations. We do have year around skiing if you want to pay for it.

Right now it is grey some wind gusts, we are right at 32 F. My nest is cozy. Hopefully the rain will turn to snow, freezing rain is bad, nasty stuff at least in my experience, beautiful though. We have trouble with trees coming down with the weight of the ice, our fir trees are not as dense as they once were, their root system is shallow, they depend on lots of other firs to keep standing. With all the logging, storms and development our trees have thinned out so when we have ice storms we lose even more trees, not to mention the limbs that are coated in ice. Anyway, I am toasty prepared and very comfortable.
    Interesting. You are right, I wasn't thinking about fir groves. Our old growth hemlock do suffer in the winters around here in the same fashion.

I am very jealous of the fun you are having right now!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Yay! I have a boyscout wilderness survaival overnight on Saturday, 20 percent chance of rain and 19 degrees lovin the weather so far

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Have fun with the weather and tarp. I've had mixed results with my silargon. We had a storm or two go through here the beginning of the week. I was so disappointed when we only got and inch the first night, switched over to drizzle and then back to a little more snow. About 2 hours north of here they got 10 inches the first night. Anyway, the first night the tarp was still fairly tight and the snow shed on its own. The only down side of that was that it was noisy and kept waking me up. I'm not sure if the second night was because of the dampness of the tarp from the rain or the stretch, but the snow didn't shed on its own. It did make it nice and quite in the tarp though and didn't take more than a whack or two of each section to knock the snow off.

Enjoy the gear test! I'll be in the back yard for the 5th night in a row playing with my winter set up. I'm trying to find the low end temp on my UQ but the nights keep staying warmer than forecasted.

• + New Posts