Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Kern River hammock campsites? (or fishing spots)

Anyone know of any hammock friendly Kern River area campgrounds or campsites?

I was there in May and it's taken me this long to find a few days for another drive up there from Carlsbad. I mention the Kern river because I want to try my hand at fly fishing, and don't know any fishy streams still flowing South of the sierras. Do people still fly fish in November? I'm thinking Nov-23 to 25. If you have some better ideas for fly fishing closer to home, I'm all ears.

Always jealous of those North-men who get to enjoy a the flowing water of a river or stream or even a crik a short drive or walk from home Then I put on some shorts and head off the the beach. I guess the grass is always greener.

-Slbear

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    Always jealous of those North-men who get to enjoy the flowing water of a river or stream or even a crik a short drive or walk from home.
    I hear ya. Not much of that 'round these parts. Dropping a line off the pier just isn't the same.

Unfortunately, I don't have any personal insight into hammock spots or fly fishing on the Kern. I looked around Google a little and found a few sites that may or may not help: Kern River Ranger District and this post from California Fly Fisher Message Board: "... And don't forget to stop in the fly shop, Kern River Troutfitters, in Kernville. Guy Jeans is the owner and he and his gang will always give the right 411 on flies and location to fit. If you need a guide they are one of the most reasonable services around. GO TO THE KERN!"

Good luck! Report back with photos!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Try http://www.kernvalley.com/news/kerncamp.htm for information. The Forrest Service has banned all camping outside of established campgrounds and dispersed camping areas along the Kern river so it would be wise to get that info from them. The river is a Riparian system and hanging opportunities are all over the place. This is a fine time to fish the upper Kern IMO and the fly shop in Kernville will be able to dial you in on what is working right now. The Kern from Lake Isabella to the Johnsondale Bridge is open for Trout year round but upstream from the bridge closed on the 15th.

P.S.
    I'd plan on staying at Headquarters Campground as it will be open for sure.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckles
    Might want to take a look at the California Freshwater regulations on seasonality... I believe trout fishing on the Kern closed on November 15th and won't open again until April. I think, and I could be wrong, but as a general rule any river that holds wild trout closes for winter so they can spawn. If you find a lake warm enough, Bass and carp are also a good time on a 7-9 weight fly setup. Not as good eating but one heck of a fight!

California Sport Fishing, Fresh Water Guide Link:
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...76652&inline=1

Good luck & tight lines!

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks all for the info today. Maybe the motivation I need. I would think the campsites would be pretty empty. I'm traveling this week, and back on Friday, so I'll call the ranger district and the fly shop to get the latest scoop on fishing, fire and campsites. I stopped in the fly shop after doing some whitewater rafting and had a great time just talking to them - definitely take care of us noobies. If no fishing allowed, I might stay more local. Short list of close spots I like are Palomar Mt and up from Iddylwild, but I might take it easy and start off at Blue Jay, which I've never been to. Figured I'd check the night-time temps before heading up any altitude. I will post pics with a trip report.

Thanks again for the help.
    Slbear

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowoo View Post
    Might want to take a look at the California Freshwater regulations on seasonality... I believe trout fishing on the Kern closed on November 15th and won't open again until April. [snip] If you find a lake warm enough, Bass and carp are also a good time on a 7-9 weight fly setup. Not as good eating but one heck of a fight!
    The Upper Kern River is open season year around to the Johnsondale bridge. All streams to it (in Tulare County only) and upstream from the bridge closed Nov 15th. Been Fall and Winter fishing it for decades. The lake is VERY low and water temps are around the mid 60s. Trolling for lake Trout and Catfish are going to be the best options for lake fish. The fun fish to catch is the Squaw Fish...there is some politically correct name for it now that escapes me...they get very large and will give quite a tussle.

• + New Posts