Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Anyone own a Butt-in-a-Sling AND a Dream Hammock?

I am inextricably beyond the event horizon of a Dream Hammock purchase. I’m not so far down the DH black hole yet that you can’t see me anymore, but the more I lolly-gag on the Dream Hammock website the tighter the vortex spins…it is only a matter now of choosing how I go. I am in the process of adapting a hammock stand for intermittent use on my boat, and being that I'll be sleeping out on the water, which usually means a colder and windier night, the overcover just seems like the way to go.

Previously: Grand Trunk to Eno DN to Butt in a Sling 2-layer Camper XL 11’ w/ Knotty mod.

I absolutely love my BIAS. MUCH MORE comfort than everything previous. Still, I want more. Does anyone have both the BIAS and a DH? If so, can you contrast you lay in each, and your impressions of both? Thanks!
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 11-14-2014 at 21:09.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I have 13 hammocks so far (no Dream Hammock yet, though) and I can tell you that my WW BIAS goes on every hike with me. I just can't seem to find anything that is more comfortable than that.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It is a wind thing now. Think of a cold night you have spent on dry land, then think of how much colder it would have been out on the water enduring an unimpeded 20mph wind. The overcover will be an absolute necessity. Due to the 98" beam of the boat I can't easily guy a tarp down to help block the wind.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You can just use a sock. So youre hammocking on a boat?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a BIAS Lite Hiker, a DH Roaming Gnome with sock and a DH DangerBird. I have used my BIAS exclusively at home; my hiking hammock is the WBBB since I'm short enough to not need the extra foot. I love my DHs in theory. But in reality, I'm having a hard time to spend a complete night in them. I'm not sure why. My theory is, that the ends are constructed somewhat different and that it changes the lay. I haven't heard of anybody else having this problem - and otherwise the Dream Hammocks are top notch. Of all hammocks I own (and that's a few - I haven't counted, otherwise I would need to admit that I have a problem ), the DHs are the most beautiful hammocks. Not a stitch out of place. And a lot of thought went into the design.

Wilderness Logics used to sell an 11' hammock sock with zipper - basically the same as the Warbonnet Traveler Sock (made for hammock up to 10'). I have one and love it. It works perfectly with the BIAS and would give you great protection of the wind. Maybe somebody on the forum would DIY something similar for you?

Otherwise Dream Hammock would be an excellent choice, and chances are that you won't have a problem with the lay.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    You can just use a sock. So youre hammocking on a boat?
    Yeah, not a big boat, just your basic white 18 foot Kenner center console. I refer to it as the boat of the masses cause you can buy one out the door for about what the taxes are on a new bass boat. I live almost exactly equal distance from Sam Rayburn as I do from the Gulf of Mexico. Pretty much everyone that lives this distance from the coast has forsaken bass boat ownership and gone to a center console. Bass boat wiring and the trailers they sit on do not fare well in salt water. In a small center console you can go shallow, bed-fishing behind the buck brush in the Spring, or all the way out to the oil rigs off the coast. Many more fishing options available to you.

Why you ask, a hammock in a boat? It is a $400 fine if you are caught camping anywhere on the banks of 110,000 acre Sam Rayburn. Ask me how I know. Over 750 miles of shoreline, all off limits to public use for camping. Also the banks of the drainages that supply it, as well as the rivers below it, all the way out to the Gulf. Thirty or forty years ago when I heard wise gentlemen speak of the coming loss of our civil liberties through a slow process of planned disenfranchisement by our government I thought they were mainly talking about them trying to take our guns. This is our land that they have deprived us of using, and their plan still progresses. We need an NRA-like organization of our own to look out for our land-use interests.

However, for $20/night they will be happy to allow you to camp overnight on one of their campsites in their Corps of Engineers Parks on Rayburn. How nice. How benevolent of them. How exclusory of them, and revenue-generating convenient for them. How sterile, and pedestrian the experience. This is not the outdoor experience that John Muir envisioned. How controlling. How Big Brother. Your and my land. We can't use it. The alternative adds a little adventure and excitement...in the effort to not get caught. This here is serious stealth camping. But I'm too old for that kind of excitement. I will reserve my acts of civil disobedience to pissing in the general direction of the Corp's headquarters, as long as that direction is not upwind.

So, I lay my plans, and consider what is still NOT illegal...

It is not illegal to night fish. Nor is it illegal to fall asleep while you do it. Not yet anyway. Hence, hammock in a boat. Hammock stand set across the boat in front of the rear casting deck. I think I will like being able to just put my rod down and fall into my hammock and go to sleep rather than make the dangerous night run back to camp (sometimes up to ~20 miles) when the crappie bite slows on a moon-lit summer night, anchored up over a brushpile out in the middle of Rayburn or Torpedo Bend. Wake up next morning, fire up the propane stove and brew a pot of coffee, cook some bacon and eggs, and enjoy the sunrise from the middle of the lake, to the smell of bacon cooking, all while soaking minnows down in the brushpile. The bacon and eggs…that is a pipe dream, because when the bite is on they usually bite so fast that you don't have time to bait a second hook, much less cook breakfast.

Can't wait to see if wave action adds to the quality of the hammock sleep experience! So...back to my original question: does anyone have experience in both brands of hammocks?
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 11-15-2014 at 12:07.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tony, we are doing a weekend hike and hang the weekend of December 5th on the LSHT. I am sure there will be a couple of DH hammocks there. BabyHuey will have his dangerbird and i MIGHT have my new Thunderbird by that time to show off to you. The planning page is up on the regional sub-forum.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

• + New Posts