PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies

Underquilt idea.

OK, I got this in my e-mail today.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5m-...381861756.html

This, as the description says, a 2.5m (Just over 8ft) Parafoil. I was wondering if anyone else thinks this might make for a good start for an underquilt? I mean is has the baffles already sewen in. I may get one to try is out, even if it wouldn't work looks like a fun kite.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    Wow, great outside the box thinking! It looks very interesting.

Just a few things to think about:
    1. Will it be "downproof"? If it's not, you're probably throwing good money (down) after bad. However, it might be calendered material since it's trying to channel the wind.

2. How "tall" is each baffle? If the baffles are 5" tall, it's probably only going to be suitable as a winter quilt because you're going to have to jam a lot of down in each chamber. It looks impossible to tell how tall each chamber is.

3. It may be quite heavy. It also says that it weighs 490g (17.28oz). That might include the line and other things that you could trim off, but I imagine it's a still quite a bit heavier than a standard UQ shell made out of 1.1oz/yd2 ripstop nylon (let alone specialty materials like Nobul, Argon, or Momentum).

Probably worth a chance for $21. It'd save a LOT of labor, and if it ends up working after throwing in some down, hemming the edges, and adding channels and suspension, I can see it gathering a cult following. I'd love to see a hands-on review!

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    Wow, great outside the box thinking! It looks very interesting.

Just a few things to think about:
    1. Will it be "downproof"? If it's not, you're probably throwing good money (down) after bad. However, it might be calendered material since it's trying to channel the wind.

2. How "tall" is each baffle? If the baffles are 5" tall, it's probably only going to be suitable as a winter quilt because you're going to have to jam a lot of down in each chamber. It looks impossible to tell how tall each chamber is.

3. It may be quite heavy. It also says that it weighs 490g (17.28oz). That might include the line and other things that you could trim off, but I imagine it's a still quite a bit heavier than a standard UQ shell made out of 1.1oz/yd2 ripstop nylon (let alone specialty materials like Nobul, Argon, or Momentum).

Probably worth a chance for $21. It'd save a LOT of labor, and if it ends up working after throwing in some down, hemming the edges, and adding channels and suspension, I can see it gathering a cult following. I'd love to see a hands-on review!

1: Most kite material is calendered, so I don't ee why this wouldn't be

2: if I does become a winter UQ, consider it is a full body UQ, that isn't a bad thing.

3: Yes it is heavier than most UQs but then again when it the last time you ever found an 8 ft long UQ. it is only 2 ft shorter than most hammocks.

For $21.50, I am willing to chance it. Even if I can't use it as an underquilt, I can still use it as a kite on the beach sometime.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Pad n Bag
    Suspension
    Straps, Biners
    You could , if its not down proof use some synthetic material. Heavy... Absoutely, but this beast will be anyway.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Almost certainly not the perfect UQ, but tempting anyway. Stuff with leaves or empty plastic bags. Calendared nylon is very unlikely; it wouldn't help a kite's performance. Suspension might be a challenge. It looks long enough, but perhaps not wide enough for the full length. Fly it!

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    So I think this has definite potential. Estimating the baffle height and width of the quilt is fun.

Based on the catsplat differential UQ calc:
    Length: 96"
    Width: 40" (estimate)
    Baffle height: 3" (estimate)
    Max. Baffle height: 4" (estimate)
    Number of baffle chambers: 15 (from what I could count)
    Down fill rating: 800
    % overstuff: 10%
    Shell fabric: 1.3 oz/yd2 (estimate)
    Baffle material: 1.3 oz/yd2 (estimate)

It then calls for 19.99oz of down fill
    approx. weight of total quilt as 38.82oz (excluding suspension)
    experimental temp rating estimate of -10 F, with an average loft of 3.5"
    That would put the shell at 16.32oz, which is not a huge stretch from the 17.28 spec wt. of the parafoil if you leave out the cords, and trim the fat.

The more I think about it, the more I think this might make an excellent simple DIY option for a winter underquilt. If it's downproof

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I see Cedar1974 disagrees with me about the likelihood of the nylon being calendared. He might be right. Wild guess on my part.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Tempting but it is made for flying. The underside of the kite will not fit a hammock. The shape is very different. With the baffle height most kites has you will need a lot of down much more than you think and the height changes and becomes very low at the back edge of the kite.
    It weighs 490 grams = 17oz before you add down. It is also likely it is a stiff material it is made from.
    The baffles most likely also has big holes in them so the air can flow from one channel to another otherwise it can and will collapse in the air. It is more or less like a small parachute or a paraglider.
    Don’t!

kite.png
    Last edited by Snowball; 11-15-2014 at 17:52.

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Tempting but it is made for flying. The underside of the kite will not fit a hammock. The shape is very different. With the baffle height most kites has you will need a lot of down much more than you think and the height changes and becomes very low at the back edge of the kite.
    It weighs 490 grams = 17oz before you add down. It is also likely it is a stiff material it is made from.
    The baffles most likely also has big holes in them so the air can flow from one channel to another otherwise it can and will collapse in the air. It is more or less like a small parachute or a paraglider.
    Don’t!

kite.png
    Well, I might just get it because it is a kite and I will just try and see how it fits under a hammock if it works it works, if not I still have a cool kite. Either way I come out on top. I mean if I want I can probably set up a harness for my camera and take areal pics with it.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I mean if I want I can probably set up a harness for my camera and take areal pics with it.
    You could its called KAP I do it but not with this type of kite. This one is a Stunt kite way too fast for a camera. After the first flight you will have to look for a new camera you will smash it for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast