NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's

Custom TQ from UGQ

So, back in August, Missy at UGQ posted to their Facebook page, a custom top quilt (Flight Jacket) that was ordered by a customer in an abstract of the American flag. Well, I got the idea of ordering a 30* Flight Jacket in the colors of the Texas flag. In emails back and forth with them, we came up with an abstract design. (They don't like to do straight representations in order to avoid offending anyone, hence the abstract. Doesn't offend, yet still conveys the theme). So, here are some pics of it along with the one that they sent me before shipping it out.

I couldn't be happier with this quilt. It's not only pretty to look at, like all UGQ quilts it's soft to lay under and toasty toasty toasty. It's 55" wide by 78" long, with 12.5 ounces of 850 hyperdry down. It's got the snaps and drawstring footbox, and the ability to snap it behind your head and there's a drawstring at the top to cinch it tight around your neck if you desire it. I ordered it with an extra ounce of fill, so I'm figuring it'll take me down to about 27 or so. Haven't been able to test it yet, but it certainly kept me warm when the temps fell into the 30s this past weekend. I had a UGQ 40* UQ under me and although my face outside of the quilt got cold, the rest of me inside was warm and toasty in just a base layer. It compresses well like all down, and is around what you'd expect for weight. As measured it was 22 oz. On their website the claimed weigh is 19.5oz., but add an extra ounce of down, + the weight of the patch (I got that from the 'bay), and the 22oz. is what came out. And as far as I'm concerned, it's worth every ounce.

The only thing I found somewhat annoying is the drawstring at the top. It was sewn on the inside edge of the quilt and right at the front. So, it tended to hit me in the face as I would adjust the quilt around my upper body, shoulders, or over my lower face. Not sure the result would have been any different if it were on the outside. I'm sure I can shorten the cord a bit, but I'm really reluctant to screw it up.

The workmanship is 1st class and when presented at the Texas Fall Hang, it was a hit. Paul was there and told me he had already gotten 4 inquiries about it. He also told me that had I not "jumped the gun" on the design, they were going to make something similar as a "tree prize" for the after supper giveaway.

Honestly, I'm glad I jumped the gun. And equally honestly, I hope they get requests for other similar quilts. It's nice having one that's unique, but equally nice to set the standard (so to speak) for others who want something just like it.

Great job UnderGroundQuilts, you have a very satisfied customer here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lostagain; 11-15-2014 at 23:53. Reason: added info
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    So, Missy at UGQ posted to their Facebook page, a custom top quilt (Flight Jacket) that was ordered by a customer in an abstract of the American flag. Well, I got the idea of ordering a 30* Flight Jacket in the colors of the Texas flag. In emails back and forth with them, we came up with an abstract design. (They don't like to do straight representations in order to avoid offending anyone, hence the abstract. Doesn't offend, yet still conveys the theme). So, here are some pics of it along with the one that they sent me before shipping it out.

I couldn't be happier with this quilt. It's not only pretty to look at, like all UGQ quilts it's soft to lay under and toasty toasty toasty. It's 55" wide by 78" long, with 12.5 ounces of 850 hyperdry down. I ordered it with an extra ounce of fill, so I'm figuring it'll take me down to about 2 or so. Haven't been able to test it yet, but it certainly kept me warm when the temps fell into the 30s this past weekend. I had a UGQ 40* UQ under me and although my face outside of the quilt got cold, the rest of me inside was warm and toasty in just a base layer. It compresses well like all down, and is around what you'd expect for weight. As measured it was 22 oz. On their website the claimed weigh is 19.5oz., but add an extra ounce of down, + the weight of the patch (I got that from the 'bay), and the 22oz. is what came out. And as far as I'm concerned, it's worth every ounce.

The workmanship is 1st class and when presented at the Texas Fall Hang, it was a hit. Paul was there and told me he had already gotten 4 inquiries about it. He also told me that had I not "jumped the gun" on the design, they were going to make something similar as a "tree prize" for the after supper giveaway.

Honestly, I'm glad I jumped the gun. And equally honestly, I hope they get requests for other similar quilts. It's nice having one that's unique, but equally nice to set the standard (so to speak) for others who want something just like it.

Great job UnderGroundQuilts, you have a very satisfied customer here.
    That's just awesome.

BF

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    That TQ will be easy to spot. UGQ's did some nice work on that one.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Great looking quilt. It should bring you many a fine nights sleep in the Lone Star state.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Can't see the pics on my phone for some reason

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just ordered an UQ and a TQ from HG. If I had seen this first I would have done something cool like this. Looks like really nice work.

• + New Posts