WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I really enjoyed the slideshow....those are some serious Lilly pads! In the first photo I thought they were about a foot wide and was shocked to later discover they were almost as long as your paddle. The Amazon is still one of my fantasy trips. Thanks for sharing yours.

Miguel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    What were you collecting? I've taken a break from the hobby but used to keep Apistos and Killifis.
    Actually, I was on the study team. We were doing mortality studies on Inia geoffrensis (pink river dolphins). The locals called them "Botos", I think. The students doing the collection had a wish list about 2 pages long. If I remember correctly they were fairly successful, but I have no idea what they were after. The year was 1991ish and there were a few years of college between then and now, soooo not all the memory cells are still intact. Especially after drinking a bunch of home brewed Pinga in those villiages. Very sweet and potent liquor down there. Quite tasty too.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I really enjoyed the slideshow....those are some serious Lilly pads! In the first photo I thought they were about a foot wide and was shocked to later discover they were almost as long as your paddle. The Amazon is still one of my fantasy trips. Thanks for sharing yours.

Miguel
    My pleasure.

The scientific name is "Victoria Amazonica". According to one site, they were described by British explorers in 1801 and was named after the British Queen Victoria.

The bottom can be quite dangerous to a folding kayak with air sponsons - they're covered with thorns on the bottom. The ones we saw were quite distressed I suppose due to all of the rain.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The year was 1991ish and there were a few years of college between then and now, soooo not all the memory cells are still intact. Especially after drinking a bunch of home brewed Pinga in those villiages. Very sweet and potent liquor down there. Quite tasty too.
    *snicker* One of our guys got a bottle of cachaça - we made caipirinha on the boat. Boy - that stuff is inexpensive.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Nice pics. You made me jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    Nice pics. You made me jealous!
    You live in GA - and you make *me* jealous. I've lived in Baxley in the early 80's, Norcross in the early 80's and Norcross again in the early to mid-90's.

I would kill to live in the south again.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

You peaked my interest - I love all things Brazilian. I even married one. I want to retire there. I'm ready now...just not old enough to retire yet - just give me nine more years good Lord.

I found his site - needless to say, I'll be checking out his blog. I find this stuff amazing and my wife, who just rolls our eyes at my dreams, understands that I'll never outgrow my dreams of trips like this. Thank goodness she's accepted me for my strange tendencies.

Linky
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    You live in GA - and you make *me* jealous. I've lived in Baxley in the early 80's, Norcross in the early 80's and Norcross again in the early to mid-90's.

I would kill to live in the south again.
    Traffic is a nightmare around ATL but Im sure there is room for one more. I still have family in Norcross and both my parents grew up there. What a small world!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    *snicker* One of our guys got a bottle of cachaça - we made caipirinha on the boat. ....
    Hmm ... the problem with a caipirinha is one will make you think you can speak Portuguese ... two will have you speaking Portuguese fluently ... three ... well couldn't tell ya!

And try that with a bunch of second generation Germans who want to have yager shots after that!

Glad I survived and got smarter in my old age!

Doesn't help....

Married for almost 8 years - my Portuguese still sucks. I can order beer and get my face slapped though.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast