Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Central Virginia Hangers

Ok, I have talked with a few folks, fellow Virginians or those nearby, who have attended hangs in NC (Hunger Hang, Smoked Butt), and others on the forum and we have all bemoaned the lack of good, organized "hangs" in the central Virginia area.
    If you have attended a hang in North or South Carolina (way to go Carlolinians!) then you know of what I speak when I say a "good, organized hang."
    Now, I have spoke with some folks about trying to get into one of the newer Virginia state parks, perhaps as a "service hang," offering to help clean up the campground and get it ready to open in the spring and close in the fall and helping to get the parks name out there. Since they are not that well known. Perhaps these could become annual events?
    I have checked out one area park and it does look interesting. The campground is "paddle in" but there is a parking area nearby so there could be vehicular support. Definite possibilities. It is nearby to Richmond, not too far from interstates and relatively easy to get to while not being "in town."
    The question is, Is there enough interest in the region to make it worthwhile? If you are interested I am asking you to sound off. Let me know if you are in the area or if this area is central enough that this would be good for you to attend? If you are in the area, are you willing to step up to the bat and meet up to work on planning a hang? Yeah, mainly to talk the park into going for it!
    I really think we do have the interest, I am not really worried about that, this is really just to get a "round up" started I suppose.
    Thanks
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    CoryR and I discussed this during the Hunger Hang and he has some great ideas. There are enough hangers in the central VA area, so sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith in that if you hold it, they will come and hang.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Yep but having more than one person already on board when I speak with the park might be good.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    I'm assuming you mean Powhatan State Park - good pick IMO - not sure about the campground at all - been there a couple of times so far.

Pocahontas is a good pick too - the only glitch is having to be pretty selective about campground spots - I don't think many of the group sites there have great hanging spots. Definitely would need some ranger assistance there to work out alternatives. The great thing about Pocahontas is that it's now an IMBA "ride center" - it's the state park "mecca" of mountain biking, so, definitely another draw to the park.

James River, while it seems out of the way isn't bad because of it's proximity to US15...a little further out for you and I (Bon Air area here..) and I'm not sure of the group camp situation there. There is a campground "in the trees" but I don't know if there's a group area there. The spots near the river would be a portable stand festival...

Bear Creek Lake is another option too - Again, not certain of the group camp situation...It's reasonably situated from 288 for interstate access and even coming down 15 or 522 to 60

While pushing on the "outer limit" of central I'd say, Twin Lakes is a great campground. There seems to be ample hammocktunity at every site there. We were VERY impressed with that park. US 360 and 460 are well traveled roads and are more like interstates anyway.

Lake Anna - haven' stayed there but the drive through the campground seemed like there wouldn't be a load of hammocktunity..

Maybe answering the question would be good - I wouldn't mind collaborating to get a hang out together. If we can capture a "referral" from Grayson Highlands that might take ranger chat a long way quickly.
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    autolox, this is the input I am looking for. Yes, Powhatan SP is the primary one I am looking at. They are new and are certainly trying to get their name out there. We can help them with that. Pocohantas is already well known. I grew up right up the road from there and just moved away from it a couple of months ago. I know that park like the back of my hand. The problem there is the campground is really NOT conducive to a group hang. There are some group sites, away from things, which would be but I happen to know that the management there are a bit "hard set" and might be a tad difficult to deal with when it comes to hammocks. Still, we can try.
    I was thinking that Powhatan might be easier since their camground is already open to new things being a "paddle in" campground from the get go. Plus, I do not think they have a big "friends of the park" set up yet.
    By the way, I live on nearly 10 acres, in Goochland, and can have small hangs here. 5 folks or so. Just FYI.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Last year there was "powhatan farm days" event where you'd drive around Powhatan to local farms, etc - was a really neat thing. There was a group at the park selling soups and such - I thought I saw a "friends of the park" kinda title to them...Very good point about that one...and being along 522...good stuff...

10 acres is some decent "spread out" room....

totally cool on pocahontas. Yeh, across from the main entrance, there's quite a "world" over there I doubt many visitors get to see. I really like riding over there...

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    Last year there was "powhatan farm days" event where you'd drive around Powhatan to local farms, etc - was a really neat thing. There was a group at the park selling soups and such - I thought I saw a "friends of the park" kinda title to them...Very good point about that one...and being along 522...good stuff...

10 acres is some decent "spread out" room....

totally cool on pocahontas. Yeh, across from the main entrance, there's quite a "world" over there I doubt many visitors get to see. I really like riding over there...
    Yeah, I used to ride my bike across from the main entrance at PSP every other day. I used to love zipping by that hidden cemetery there. I also have the master list for the orienteering course which is permanently em placed in that park.
    There IS a "friends of the park" for Powhatan but, I think, it is kinda small so we might be able to work with it? or, perhaps, supplement it? I doubt they would turn down volunteer help in exchange for a hang which, in itself, would bring them free publicity. IF we sell it to them right.
    As for my place, I actually share the 10 acres and have somewhat limited parking. It IS a great spread though!! I love it here. If we get some folks on board, I am not opposed to hosting some small hangs right here.
    In fact, I am heading to mountains this week to do some hanging.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    cool. Ham operator too?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    cool. Ham operator too?
    Yep, KM4COF. Mainly on 2 meter, some 440. I am usually on the 88 machine.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

I'd be interested in hearing more about this possible hang. I'm in No Va so Richmond is about two hours away, doable. Not real familiar with Richmond area so I don't have much input as to suggestions for locations. We just had our third annual NoVa hang at Prince William Forest Park. That park works really well for hammocks. And being in November it's not so crowded.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast