Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    Instead of being a bunch of elitist Jackholes, we need to welcome other people into the community, HOWEVER they get here.
    You do realize we're talking about a product, right? You realize this is in the Hammock Gear reviews section? Besides, this guy explicitly stated he didn't even want to be a part of the community at this time.

If somebody tells me they love their Yugo, and that it's the greatest car ever invented, I will respectfully disagree. It may have been a simple, low-cost vehicle that brought transportation to those who could otherwise not afford it, but it was an inferior, unreliable piece of crap. Of course, if anyone actually said that (and a lot of people did) then they're just elitist Jackholes, huh?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    i could give a rat's [REDACTED] how people get into hanging, but the more people who get into hanging, the better it CAN be for all of us. Maybe the people who buy this stuff will get more into hammocking and become a huge part of this forum community and make a widget that is the best hammock widget ever and they become the next Dutch. There is no possibility of that happening if all they get from us is derision because they are using an inferior hammock to your DIY 12 ft hammock with UQ and TQ made with Down only from free range geese who only drank Perrier.

This forum is starting to become more and more about Us vs Them and it sickens me. My first hammock was an ENO. I still own it, and use it around the house occasionally. Is it my go-to hammock? No, but it got me into hanging and I am grateful for it.

Instead of being a bunch of elitist Jackholes, we need to welcome other people into the community, HOWEVER they get here. Once they are here, we can teach them why we don't hang with ropes, but instead use straps. We need to educate other hangers on proper NLT camping protocols. Look at the State and National parks near you. How many are TRULY hammock friendly. The more the park staff see us as responsible campers, the more they will open their doors to us, and make facilities that accommodate us. Maybe instead of just a 12x12 gravel patch they will start putting 2 8ft poles 15 feet apart from each other. WE need to make that happen, and if hammockers are seen as a bunch of snobby elitist [REDACTED], then you can forget it.
    Amen, brother.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints on Social Media about the "elitist jackholes" over at HF, and to a degree, I am forced to agree with them if I honestly review and evaluate both my statements and habits and those of others.

There was a time when only knowledgeable nerds played with computers. Then a bunch of people who knew not one dang thing about how they work took what was made and transformed the world.

The more people engaged in this hobby, the more products will emerge onto the market, and the resulting competition will lower prices, improve quality, give us more choices and options, and cull out the under performers.

As to the effect that a few people who use the product in an irresponsible or ignorant manner will have on the rest of us, it will get to the point where that has as much effect on hammock use as drunk drivers does on keeping everybody else off the road.
    Last edited by sargevining; 11-19-2014 at 16:48.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    There was a time when only knowledgeable nerds played with computers. Then a bunch of people who knew not one dang thing about how they work took what was made and transformed the world.
    Bill Gates and Microsoft would not appreciate that sentiment!

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The more people engaged in this hobby, the more products will emerge onto the market, and the resulting competition will lower prices, improve quality, give us more choices and options, and cull out the under performers.
    I'm still thinking of Microsoft and how they established a monopoly that did not do any of the above.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    So--

Who's Microsoft? Dutch or Warbonnet?

I need to know.

Images
    I'm feeling a little crispy at the moment. I'll just go back to my hammock and suck my thumb quietly. The contest has started and this is no longer a review of a product but more of a whizzing contest. Thought I was being polite in my statement, but alas, typing has been misunderstood once again. Elitist Jackhole? Please don't let the post count fool anyone.

Thanks anyway for the OP and opinions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I'm feeling a little crispy at the moment. I'll just go back to my hammock and suck my thumb quietly. The contest has started and this is no longer a review of a product but more of a whizzing contest. Thought I was being polite in my statement, but alas, typing has been misunderstood once again. Elitist Jackhole? Please don't let the post count fool anyone.

Thanks anyway for the OP and opinions.
    my statement was not aimed in your direction, just a general opinion by me of the direction this forum is heading
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would love if everyone came into hammocking with a Thunderbird (or other great hammock, even DIY) and knew everything there is to know about suspension, ridgelines, proper hang angle, how to use straps and not damage trees..... but they don't. I would like more people to get into hammocking so that parks consider us when they think about "campers" instead of just people in tents or RVs. Once people get into this hobby/sport/activity/whatever, then we can guide them in a civilized direction, showing them the different gear available, how to hang properly, and how to respect nature and our fellow campers. We need to be more inclusive, ESPECIALLY of the newest members to the hammock community, if we want hammockers to be treated the same if not better than ground dwellers.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Images
    my statement was not aimed in your direction, just a general opinion by me of the direction this forum is heading
    Fair enough. It just dropped in behind my post and one could not help but assume. Ahh the dangerous assumption. She has flicked her fickle finger of fate in my direction once more.

Like I said, don't let post count lead anyone astray. We're all pretty clueless at any given moment.

Y'all have fun saving the world and all....be home before the street light comes on. Mom's making dinner.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    i could give a rat's a$$ how people get into hanging, but the more people who get into hanging, the better it CAN be for all of us. Maybe the people who buy this stuff will get more into hammocking and become a huge part of this forum community and make a widget that is the best hammock widget ever and they become the next Dutch. There is no possibility of that happening if all they get from us is derision because they are using an inferior hammock to your DIY 12 ft hammock with UQ and TQ made with Down only from free range geese who only drank Perrier.

This forum is starting to become more and more about Us vs Them and it sickens me. My first hammock was an ENO. I still own it, and use it around the house occasionally. Is it my go-to hammock? No, but it got me into hanging and I am grateful for it.

Instead of being a bunch of elitist Jackholes, we need to welcome other people into the community, HOWEVER they get here. Once they are here, we can teach them why we don't hang with ropes, but instead use straps. We need to educate other hangers on proper NLT camping protocols. Look at the State and National parks near you. How many are TRULY hammock friendly. The more the park staff see us as responsible campers, the more they will open their doors to us, and make facilities that accommodate us. Maybe instead of just a 12x12 gravel patch they will start putting 2 8ft poles 15 feet apart from each other. WE need to make that happen, and if hammockers are seen as a bunch of snobby elitist a$$wagons, then you can forget it.
    This.

Some folks seem to enjoy chewing up and spitting out kickstarter campaigns on here. Seems like it's almost the forum sport.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Now seems like a great time for us to reflect on the negative comments and views in this thread. I don't think it's very representative of us as a community but it sure doesn't make us look very inviting from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Forums TOS
    II. Be Respectful. This is not negotiable. We treat each other with respect at Hammock Forums. This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, we will not show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts. Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive.

We also treat other sites with respect. Politely referring folks to the best source of hammocking info on the net is absolutely encouraged. Using Hammock Forums to foster a spam campaign against another site is not. Doing it in the name of Hammock Forums is entirely inappropriate and misrepresents what this community stands for.
    Some people seem to have lost sight of these two tenants. I encourage some of you to go back and edit the negativity out of your posts. Critique is fine but the negativity is no longer welcome here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234