Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I got some time to look a little closer at this. I've done a couple KickStarter projects and you find where you're comfortable pledging and go there. Some of the higher dollar amount perks on the kickstarters are really amazing. These were, in a word...well I'm just not gonna go there. Someone typed that stuff with a straight face. Don't know how they did it. Almost laughed out loud when he demo'ed the set up and nearly fell over backwards in it.

Silver is right in my opinion. Hammocks for folks who know nothing about hammocks...and will learn the hard way.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    the more people who get into hammocking the better.
    I agree with ya. I don't get why people think it's all one way or nothing. I'd rather people buy this and learn more later than to never venture into the hammock world. I would have much rather had this than my overpriced doublenest as my first hammock. I also get why they chose the cinch buckle...it's easy. When I started out I was so confused with all the suspension types. I'm not sure why anyone here would discourage people from advancing the hammock, whether you agree with their product or not.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    the more people who get into hammocking the better.
    Why's that? Hammockforums isn't promoting hammocks; they're "the go-to source for hammock information," but there's no agenda to promote hammocks. Vendors who sell hammocks and hammock accessories might have an agenda to promote hammocks, but the rank-and-file HF member doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    I agree with ya. I don't get why people think it's all one way or nothing. I'd rather people buy this and learn more later than to never venture into the hammock world. I would have much rather had this than my overpriced doublenest as my first hammock. I also get why they chose the cinch buckle...it's easy. When I started out I was so confused with all the suspension types. I'm not sure why anyone here would discourage people from advancing the hammock, whether you agree with their product or not.
    This product does not advance the hammock. From the weight, to the permanently attached suspension (so you can pack the suspension with the hammock and insure both are equally wet), to the shoulder strap (really? I'm gonna carry my hammock outside my pack? For what purpose?), to the vendor's admission that "I realized that I wanted to design the hammock to be a tool to get more people introduced to spending time outdoors," it all is quite similar to ENO's marketing. They're selling lifestyle more than anything else.

Somebody buys this hammock, with no instructions on how to lay, and within minutes they'll probably say, "This is uncomfortable as all getout. Then they'll say, "Geez, my butt is cold. I wonder why that is?" And their next thought will probably be, "I just got ripped off. Lesson learned."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Why's that? Hammockforums isn't promoting hammocks; they're "the go-to source for hammock information," but there's no agenda to promote hammocks. Vendors who sell hammocks and hammock accessories might have an agenda to promote hammocks, but the rank-and-file HF member doesn't.

This product does not advance the hammock. From the weight, to the permanently attached suspension (so you can pack the suspension with the hammock and insure both are equally wet), to the shoulder strap (really? I'm gonna carry my hammock outside my pack? For what purpose?), to the vendor's admission that "I realized that I wanted to design the hammock to be a tool to get more people introduced to spending time outdoors," it all is quite similar to ENO's marketing. They're selling lifestyle more than anything else.

Somebody buys this hammock, with no instructions on how to lay, and within minutes they'll probably say, "This is uncomfortable as all getout. Then they'll say, "Geez, my butt is cold. I wonder why that is?" And their next thought will probably be, "I just got ripped off. Lesson learned."
    Can't speak for Humer91, but I enjoy hammocks and take any opportunity I have to tell other people how much I like them. Has nothing to do with me being a hammockforums member, just a hammock enthusiast. I got into hammocks from my brother in law who had his eno dn strung like a guitar string with his nylon slap straps. His interest got me interested, so I agree Humer91 that the more people enjoying hammocks the better.

As far as your scenario, there is another alternative. Someone buys this hammock, finds it uncomfortable and cold, then googles it and finds hammock forums where they can learn everything they need to know.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    While I agree with all of the limitations stated about this hammock, I really appreciate the marketing direction.
    This is not the hammock for hardcore hangers and I am not surprised to see the reactions this thread is getting because of that.
    This is, however, a hammock that lends itself quite well for casual use. It is a simple setup and comes in cool trendy stuff sack colors. The models in the video were picked to appeal to the trendy , casual, and probably younger demographic that would be the ones to buy this hammock.

This hammock IS doing something that others aren't (to my knowledge.) It isn't super lightweight, super comfy (assumption made based on hammock length) or very feature-rich... it is however "cool" and cool sells.

It isn't what I want. I bet it isn't what most of you want. But I won't be too negative about this product just because it seems gimmicky or just isn't for me. I hope he does well, and all of the casual beach bums, hipsters, and tailgaters enjoy their hip, fun-colored hammock. That's what they are paying to get.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x PREACHER x View Post
    The models in the video were picked to appeal to the trendy , casual, and probably younger demographic that would be the ones to buy this hammock.

This hammock IS doing something that others aren't (to my knowledge.) It isn't super lightweight, super comfy (assumption made based on hammock length) or very feature-rich... it is however "cool" and cool sells.
    Quote Originally Posted by x PREACHER x View Post
    It isn't what I want. I bet it isn't what most of you want. But I won't be too negative about this product just because it seems gimmicky or just isn't for me. I hope he does well, and all of the casual beach bums, hipsters, and tailgaters enjoy their hip, fun-colored hammock. That's what they are paying to get.
    I tend to think the video is cool and the sole selling point. It's a well-made marketing video. Were it not for the video, nobody would probably think this hammock was hip or cool.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I tend to think the video is cool and the sole selling point. It's a well-made marketing video. Were it not for the video, nobody would probably think this hammock was hip or cool.
    I def agree with that.
    oow and the colored stuff sacks. those are hip too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    JT I sincerely apologize to you and anyone else who may have thought my comments were directed to keep people from hammocks. That was not my intention nor my motivation. I think hammocks could bring world peace if not a higher appreciation for what I believe is the best sleep one will ever get in the front country, back country, campus quad or backyard. This forum is proof positive hammock bring good people together and make us better.

I don't wish to discourage folks but would really prefer to see them get started more intelligently. Buying and learning more later is how many of us came to the process. You'll lose count of the number of posts and threads where folks on this forum started poorly and learned the harm they were causing to themselves, the trees, their equipment and/or the hammock community. Misinformation, less than best practices or just pure ignorance is something most all of us who are as passionate about hammocks, like yourself, want to keep out whenever possible. How much damage could a sincerely misinformed beginner do to the hammock community? Maybe very little if any. Or, maybe, just maybe, that sincerely misinformed person does enough damage in the right place at the wrong time and gets hammocks banned from a local hang spot. This leaves out the ones who flat don't care. Purely hypothetical? Probable? Improbable? Ridiculous ramblings of a conspiracy theorist old curmudgeon? Probably right on all counts.

I respect these guys for trying to bring something to the market and for their entrepreneurial spirit. Great marketing is great marketing. I'll still be keeping a watchful, gracious, fatherly eye on those I hang with to help them keep the hammock community safe and well represented. I want everyone to keep an eye on me as well so I don't do something stupid, ignorant or harmful to the hammock community. I can always learn more and wish only for everyone to share an elevated perspective. I think we are on the same team. We're just viewing the issue from different perspectives.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i could give a rat's [REDACTED] how people get into hanging, but the more people who get into hanging, the better it CAN be for all of us. Maybe the people who buy this stuff will get more into hammocking and become a huge part of this forum community and make a widget that is the best hammock widget ever and they become the next Dutch. There is no possibility of that happening if all they get from us is derision because they are using an inferior hammock to your DIY 12 ft hammock with UQ and TQ made with Down only from free range geese who only drank Perrier.

This forum is starting to become more and more about Us vs Them and it sickens me. My first hammock was an ENO. I still own it, and use it around the house occasionally. Is it my go-to hammock? No, but it got me into hanging and I am grateful for it.

Instead of being a bunch of elitist Jackholes, we need to welcome other people into the community, HOWEVER they get here. Once they are here, we can teach them why we don't hang with ropes, but instead use straps. We need to educate other hangers on proper NLT camping protocols. Look at the State and National parks near you. How many are TRULY hammock friendly. The more the park staff see us as responsible campers, the more they will open their doors to us, and make facilities that accommodate us. Maybe instead of just a 12x12 gravel patch they will start putting 2 8ft poles 15 feet apart from each other. WE need to make that happen, and if hammockers are seen as a bunch of snobby elitist [REDACTED] , then you can forget it.
    Last edited by mudsocks; 11-18-2014 at 16:39. Reason: language
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Seems like a lot of put-downs in your comment. Instead, let's try to lift-up with the comments.

It's not the "DIY 12 ft hammock with UQ and TQ made with Down only from free range geese who only drank Perrier.", it's the lack of info on how to use the product that has some, if not most, of us worried.

There is currently a movement state by state to try and educate the State Parks system on the use of hammocks as a viable camping option and lack of knowledgeable use is detriment to our ability to "win over"(for lack of better term) the park rangers and decision makers.

Also, we can't just assume that all those new and younger hammock owners will find this forum and/or be open to a possible better way to use a hammock for oneself and environment. Like you said and I agree, it sure would be nice if most of them would find us, though.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast