Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Your Hammock History

May be interesting and perhaps an old idea here.

When and How did you first get into Hammock's?

My first experience was back in 1978 hanging between two "Hanger" doors on the back end of a WWII built USN Destroyer in the shipyard in Boston. Equipment was a 'cheap' netted hammock and the issued wool blanket. Apart from some problems with the Cold Butt Syndrome, I found it surprising comfortable and private to sleep out in full sight in a city.

For many years, I remembered those nights. Wish that I hadn't waited so long to return to a hammock and had know some of the great information that is now found here at Hammock Forum. (And having a UQ now is sweet)

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Saw a guy at a scout camp-out hanging up a hammock. Looked it over and got as much information as he could give.

Three years later I have 5 hammocks.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    In 2009 , there was a Marine that put his hammock up in the shelter durring a frog strangle rain....I liked the fact that he was "above it all"
    I have 4 hammocks and have made 2 for other folks....I sleep much better and I wake with no back pain....my sleep # bed is not near as good...

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I always wanted a hammock, just never purchased one. Swings yes, hammock no.

Back in 2005 or so I was poking around in a Sporting Goods Store in a hardcore hunting fishing area on the coast, a huge store, but not a big box store, it is locally owned and operated, one of a kind place. I found some colorful hammocks, really inexpensive. They were ENO, about $9.00 the tree straps were $3.99 a set. We left with two hammocks and three sets of tree straps.

We hung the hammocks the next day, I took my proverbial sheep skin with me for padding. At the time I was having serious back problems, could not sleep, lots of serious problems. I could not balance well enough to hang the ENO, my daughter had to do it for me. I climbed in the hammock with my then tiny puppy. Wow, went right to sleep, woke up frozen. First lesson! Always have lots of bottom insulation, sheep skin was good, just not enough.

Well nine years latter, I am still alive, I have gone through a lot of hammock stages, I am stronger and healthier than I was 9 years ago. I can hang my own hammock now, no one needs to help me any longer. I have brought others into the Hammock Fold, just by example no saleswomanship involved. I meet so many people who tell me they have to give up camping because of their back or inability to get up off the ground when tenting. I share with them about hammocks, I am not a Hennessy fan, however his original hammock is perfect for people with serious mobility problems.

My grumpy daughter even surcumbed to hammocks, I think she was just being stubborn because mom likes them so well LOL.

I bought a Tempur Pedic bed and it is almost as good as my favored hammocks. Back# bed just about finished off my poor old back. When my bed gives up, I am going to switch to hanging full time.

About 1980 my scout troop had a wilderness survival weekend. All the boys that already had the merit badge slept in mesh hammocks under tarps. After that I started sleeping in the hammock whenever camping in summer weather. As life happened I got away from camping so much and from hanging until my own son got into scouting 8 years ago. I got a new modern hammock and started hanging with pads for 3 seasons. After stumbling across JustJeff's web site I discovered better insulation and for the last few years my year round camping has been in a hammock, except at a couple of scout camps that didn't allow it. I recently made a turtledog stand, so I will even be hanging in those camps now.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Started backpacking a few years ago, and realized that I didn't want to carry 35 pounds on my back. Did some research, found bivy's, then discovered Hennessy Hammocks. Got my first one used on this forum, then the Super Shelter. Not looking back now.

about 1970 or so I had cousins serving in the air force, one of them sent me and my brother the old jungle hammocks that doubled as a sleeping bag cover, a version of a bivy I guess. we didn't like them for whatever reason. fast forward to this past july, a friend and myself were planning for a canoe trip and I thought a hammock would be cooler, which it was but it also beat sleeping on the ground. since then I have bought my grandsons the equip hammocks and suddenly the oldest has a complaint after every tent trip, he is about to turn nine and has been camping with me since he was about 3 in temps from around 20 degrees up to the mid 80's and never had one complaint until I bought hammocks. I built turtle dog stands today to try out at home tonight and to take on scout camps but the poor boys will be sticking with the tent until warmer weather, no UQ's for them yet but my EG under quilt from Tim was delivered today and I cant wait to get home to get it out of the box and check it out, may have to sleep in the yard tonight !!!!

creek

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Stumbled across HF while checking out survival sites back in the fall of 2010. Thought that this would be a good way to get back into the woods. Then in Jan. of 2011 we lost our 33 YO son in an accident. Thru those rough times I immersed myself in the forum and by March I had set up a DIY outfit, signed on for a group hang with a bunch of complete strangers. Friday afternoon was in the 70°f with a low that night around freezing. Went thru the same learning curve that most do. Since then my kit has evolved and that group of strangers are now family and we spend as much time together in the woods as we can manage during our short, fall/winter/spring season. Even meeting new family members across the eastern U.S. in our travels to Maine for the summers. At some point, 6.29.2011, build a stand for the house and have been fulltiming ever since. Thanks HF!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    From Sgt Rock's site to here in 2008.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

I get really really into stuff. Like I just start reading everything about stuff when I find something faddy. I did it with safety razors and I did it with hammocks. I think I was going through reddit clicking random for subreddits. Stumbled on r/hammocks. Found hf. Read. Read. And read some more. Fell in love with hammocks and hammock camping. Then I just started buying stuff for DIY and hammocks in general.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast