Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Kevlar/SpeedHooks

Help choosing some quilts

Hi guys
    Im new to hammocking, and in the market for some quilts, but have difficulties deciding on which to go for. I sent an email to Hammockgear asking for help, but I thought i would also write in here to get some input from all you knowledgeable hammockers on this forum

So far I have been using my Therm-a-Rest XTherm pad and a 40 degree synthetic sleeping bag.

I am thinking about getting a burrow 20 degree topquilt and an underquilt similarly in the 20 degree range. But i am debating with myself if i should go for the 3/4 length phoenix or have a quilt customized for me (phincubator), so it will fit from my shoulders to the heels of my feet for better insulation in the winter months (not a big fan of a pad under my feet but i do have a Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad for the job if i go phoenix). I am pretty consious about pack weight and compressibility of my down products, so i dont think a full length incubator would be right for me.

I live in northern Denmark where temps in the fall/winter can vary quite a bit, for example right now the temp is 40 degrees Fahrenheit (day and night) but in a few weeks time the night temps could easily drop to 20 degrees or even lower. Its not unusual with winter night temps as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Also keep in mind Denmark is usually quite a bit windy and humid so it will probably feel a bit colder than the actual temps. As extra info I would think i fall in the category of normal to warm sleeper.

My body measurements are 184cm (basically a tad over 6 foot even), and 90 kg (200 pounds).

I will be using the quilts with my new warbonnet blackbird xlc 1.1 double layer in olive brown color. I like to blend in with nature and like my setup to look nice, so which colors would you guys recommend. Maybe just go black out/black inner or black out/brown inner?

I would really appreciate your take on my little dilemma of deciding on:

1) Phoenix or customized phincubator?
    2) 20 degree version or 1-2 oz overfill?
    3) Standard length or long for the Burrow?
    4) Standard width or wide for the Burrow?
    5) Your ideas on color options?

My own initial thoughts would be Phincubator, 20 degree, 1 oz overfill, Black outer/ Brown inner. Burrow 20 degree, 1 oz overfill, Long, Wide, Black outer/ Brown inner.... but i never had quilts before, so I could really use some feedback from you guys.

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    color options...
    I prefer two-color quilts so it is easy to tell the difference between the inside and the outside of the quilt in very low lighting.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexroth View Post
    I would really appreciate your take on my little dilemma of deciding on:

1) Phoenix or customized phincubator? Personally I would play it safe and go Incubator or Phincubator. Few oz worth the "guaranteed" warmth

2) 20 degree version or 1-2 oz overfill? Definitely overfill! 1 or 2 oz. Easy peace of mind for a few $$. Can't (easily) add it later.

3) Standard length or long for the Burrow? The regular Burrow is about 5" longer than me and this seems perfect. So I guess the long for you? I like extra space in the foot box for added warmth.

4) Standard width or wide for the Burrow? Not sure, but the standard is more than enough for me.

5) Your ideas on color options? Totally subjective, but I like plain out in the woods. Earth tones - black, green, charcoal gray. Definitely black on at least one side - hang it up in the sun and any dampness is gone pretty quick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Because your talking about the 20-40 degree range i would go with the extra fill.
    I personally like a two toned quilt.
    I'm about your size and the standard quilts work for me but bigger would be luxurious, nothing wrong with that. I use a yeti UQ winter and summer.
    One last thing. If you have wind and humidity where you are i would invest in a 2QZQ UQ Protector,,great piece of kit.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    One last thing. If you have wind and humidity where you are i would invest in a 2QZQ UQ Protector,,great piece of kit.
    +1. I forgot to mention that. Good site selection, a good tarp pulled low and a UQ protector go a LONG way.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Kevlar/SpeedHooks
    Thanks alot guys for the advices so far.... sounds like a 20 degree phincubator, two-color(one side black) with 1 oz overfill would be a good choice, and a 2QZQ UQ Protector would definitely be something i would like to add to my setup. As far as the burrow goes, i guess for my size a long and wide would be nice since i like a little luxury and because i like to sidesleep sometimes, the extra width wouldnt be a bad idea... im guessing

Any more feedback would be appreciated

Hammock
    Woodsman Lite
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Rex.
    I live in Denmark too and have also been pondering the quilt purchase quite a bit. So much that I haven't gotten around to actually ordering them. That and low funding has kept me from it so far.
    I'm 175 and about 60kg, so a bit smaller then you. I was thinking a Phoenix would match my height fine. Temp-wise, I was looking at a 40 burrow with 2 oz overstuff and a 20 Phoenix with 2 oz overstuff. I would be supplementing with clothes and a thermarest sit pad for the feet or butt. I think that could serve as a basis for year round hanging. For real cold is supplement with my pluq also.

I am trying to avoid the bulkyness of a 20 quilt in summer and shoulder seasons.
    The 2qzq uqp is a great idea, only heard good things about that one, and very much worth the weight and investment.

Look forward to hearing what you decide on and the in depth reviews to follow on the performance in Danish climate

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Swjoergensen View Post

I am trying to avoid the bulkyness of a 20 quilt in summer and shoulder seasons.
    you'd be amazed how small a 20degree quilt will compress. (smaller than a nalgene bottle, btw)
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You've done your homework well and you've chosen into exactly where I'd purchase my first quilts if starting over today. I guess the question on the length of your UQ would best be answered firstly by if you are a hiker, secondly by how much full on winter camping you anticipate doing and thirdly if you think you might someday buy a 0* rated quilt. My first UQ was a 20* Phoenix and I consider it more versatile than just about any. My next quilt was a 0* Incubator which got me into full on winter stuff then the 0* Burrow. The following year I got into a 40* set.

I think you'd be very pleased with either of your choices, with that said, if you think you'll stop with the 20* UQ and not buy other quits in the future, then I'd have to lean toward the longer UQ.

David

I have much less experience with underquilts than those who have already replied, but (I hope I don't delay your decision by adding more options!) since Dutch has added hammock socks to his ever-growing list of goodies, you could also use those to stretch your temperatures.
    I'm going to sneak in a vote for a 20 degree quilt set, though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast