Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Go Lite Ultra 20 Quilt

Anyone here have any experience withe the Go Lite Ultra 20 top quilt? Pros and cons?

I haven't used mine yet but a lot of folks bought them when Golite had that sale
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Most of the opinions that I've read indicate that it's a nice quilt, made well, and very light. But that the 20ºF rating is a bit optimistic.

I don't have any direct experience with it, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I picked one up about a month ago and realy like it. I have had only 3 nights in the woods with it but it seems very warm to me. I unfortuanly have no idea exsactly what temp I got down to with it but I am guessing into the 30's. Do a lot of shopping for price as I have seen it with as much as $75 diffrence from one retailer to another. And one thing I found Backcountry.com will price match other competitors if you call them and ask, well you may have to call more than once. The first guy said no even though they had done it befor for me, so I hung up and called back the second guy said yah no problem. You just have to find it for less and give them the site that has it so they can check it and get a suppervisor to OK it at the lower price, O and see if they will upgrade your shipping to, sometimes they will through in faster ship at a reduced price.

Good luck

Paul

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I have a chance to pick one used real cheap. I think I will give it a try.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've had mine down to 45F and was very comfortable. I suspect I'll need to suplement with my down vest or other jacket below 40F. I'm a cold sleeper.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I'v been thinking of getting one myself. Just need some funds. Here is some more reviews from backpacking light.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=11269
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Someone here posted that they recieved theirs (from the big sale, IIRC) and one of the baffles hardly had any down in it.

Images
    I think the 2.5" loft rating is a touch optimistic, but not by much. Maybe it's only 2.3 or 2.4 on average, but you know that can be hard to measure precisely at home.

I think it is excellent at the big sale prices. I have used it at 11*F with lot lofty clothing, and if memory serves I slightly exceeded it's limit. Which is not to say I froze, but I was def not toasty. But also part of this problem was I pretty well soaked (the shell anyway) the neck area with condensation from my breath, though a surprising amount of loft remained. It might be in my JRB MWUQ review. I have used it in a very damp ~27*F in last Feb's snowy Sipsey wilderness trip. Again using it with some warm clothing as I almost always do. And again, I think at about 0200, when I had to take a leak, I realized I was not quite warm enough. Not bad, but not as comfortable as I would have liked. However, I had a separate down hood with me. After I put that on and got back under the quilt, I was toasty warm the rest of the night, no problemo. So, adding head warmth = to a 20*F rated mummy bag is probably going to be needed to get an actual 20*F out of it, at least for me.

I think mine is well worth the price I paid( big sale) and weight. But I kind of suspect it is not quite a match for something like a No Sniv in loft. Because it weighs very close to the No Sniv, actually maybe an oz or two heavier, and I think both use 800 or so fill power down. But, it is a good bit wider in the shoulders than the No Sniv. So, at the same weight, I would expect less loft. OTOH, it has a more narrow foot section, tapered like a mummy. So for all I know, this may cancel the extra width in the shoulders as far as loft for a given weight goes.

My only real gripe with it is that, even though I got the long, it is not quite( though almost) long enough to completely cover my head when side sleeping. I' 6'1". I find if I do this in a bag, leaving a small hole on the side for my breath to escape, it can function much like a separate hood. I think if it was just an inch or two longer, it would cover me fine. As it is, the very top of my head( or hat) is exposed. Though, you can't use it that way any way if on your back, so a separate hood is the best approach when nearing 20*F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast