Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How to keep the thread straight when hemming

My thread goes all over the place when I try to hem. I do pin the material but end up hitting the pin then I over compensate and the thread is next to the edge then back to the center..blah,blah, blah

Do you use a seam guide or freehand it. Anyone got any other suggestions on keeping it straight.

Images
    I guide it with both hands, one behind and one in front. I go slow also.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure to insert the pins perpendicular to the seam or hem with the heads on the outside. Remove each pin as it comes to the presser foot. The cover plate on your machine should have lines marked on it to indicate seam width. Select the proper mark and keep your seam edge parallel with and on the mark. Some machines have screw holes in the bed plate to allow a seam guide to be attached. This is nothing more than a plate that the seam edge should butt up against. The other method that I have found to be helpful is to run a thin line of masking tape on the bedplate of the machine at a distance from your needle eqal to your seam width. Extend this a few inches toward you from the needle and it should help keep you lined up. If your machine runs a little fast you can apply slight pressure to the hand wheel to slow it down but be careful not to overload the motor. And above all, start out slow then slow down!!! Patience is the key.
    Last edited by gstepclassical; 04-18-2007 at 15:43.

Images
    The masking tape could also help with slippage. Hmmmm. I should try that.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I put up a couple of pictures to help explain. Both are set at 5/8" in these examples.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=782&c=4

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=783&c=4

The first is the masking tape method and the second is an actualseam guide.
    This seam guide has a very short guide plate.

My machine came with a bunch of accessories. I think a seam guide was included with it. If I remember correctly it is where the material actually goes thru the seam guide to hold it a the right hem. I will have to check and see.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two more things. If your machine has a presser foot tension adjustment, it should be just about all the way tight for ripstop and other thin, slippery fabrics and make sure to drop the needle first as that will hold the fabric in place when you drop the presser foot. Same thing when you turn a corner. Stop the machine, leave the needle in the fabric, raise the presser foot, turn the fabric around the needle, drop the presser foot and continue on. That will ensure a continuous line of stitching. Hope this helps.

Images
    Pretty much whenever you stop for a brake leave the needle. Easier said, than remembered, but try to make it a habit.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Just take your time and go slow. I keep one hand on the fabric behind the foot and one in front to guide it through. Don't pull the fabric through the machine, just let the machine feed it.

My machine as hash marks to the right of the foot that shows how wide the seam is. I have found it's easier to line up the fabric with one of those lines and concentrate on keeping the fabric lined up with that line. I don't watch the needle sew.

Stop and check the seam as it comes out of the back of the pressure foot every foot or so to make sure everything is sewing right.

Ewker,

Are you making you own hammock?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

if your making a 1/2" hem how far would you bring the thread in to sew. I figure you don't want it to close to the edge of the material or to close to the folded edges...so the middle? does the hem go on the inside or outside..I could see it getting ripped apart on either side. Do you put seam tape or seam seal it afterwards to keep water out

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast