Hammock
    DIY Hennessey - like
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12

What defines Waterproof material?

I am new to the hammock camping scene, but I've built my first hammock and now I'm lookingfor material to make a tarp. Haven't found any Silnylon yet, judgin from the descriptions of the material I've seen. I have located some rip stop material that is very difficult to suck air through so I took a swatch home. Water poored off the swatch, but ran through when under pressure (holding the swatch up to the faucet tightly). So I dried the material and sprayed Silicon waterproofing on it. The next day I tried it again. Vast improvement but water still came through under pressure, albeit much, much less. The material did wet when I did this, but water still beeded on the surface.

So how good is good enough? Can you siliconize quality regular ripstop enough to make a good tarp? I don't have enough field experience to answer this.

One last question: The bolt of fabric said "Unit weight 0.65". Any idea how this translates into oz/yd?

Images
    try it a couple inches under the shower head instead, doesn't sound like it's waterproof though.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leftheavy View Post
    I am new to the hammock camping scene, but I've built my first hammock and now I'm lookingfor material to make a tarp. Haven't found any Silnylon yet, judgin from the descriptions of the material I've seen. I have located some rip stop material that is very difficult to suck air through so I took a swatch home. Water poored off the swatch, but ran through when under pressure (holding the swatch up to the faucet tightly). So I dried the material and sprayed Silicon waterproofing on it. The next day I tried it again. Vast improvement but water still came through under pressure, albeit much, much less. The material did wet when I did this, but water still beeded on the surface.

So how good is good enough? Can you siliconize quality regular ripstop enough to make a good tarp? I don't have enough field experience to answer this.

One last question: The bolt of fabric said "Unit weight 0.65". Any idea how this translates into oz/yd?
    I doubt it is .65 oz/yd That puts it in the Cuban fiber catagory. There is a ggod thread about adding silicone to make ripstop waterproof. Honestly though tarps are a lot of work. I would just invest on good Sil that I know will work. You are still saving money. Just my opinion though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    www.questoutfitters.com has some really nice olive grey sil in stock.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I'll add one more source to the list Cooke Custom Sewing.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a fabric store that has a good selection of rip-stop, but the employees don't seem to know what sil is.

They do have nylon that is shiney on one side ..... would that be sil?

How long would you hold it under the shower head to be confident that it is water-proof?

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey - like
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    That sounds like the material I have seen. The shiny side is "calendared", which means they pass it through heated rollers to bond the fibers together (althogh it still unravels). I was wondering if calendaring has any effect on the strngth of the material.

• + New Posts