Knife edge, or blunt edge shears for ripstop and silnylon?

I'm trying to put together a tool kit for sewing some hammocks, tarps, etc. I've been looking at Gingher shears, and am trying to decide between knife edge and blunt, bent shears. Either way I'd go for 8" as I don't think my hands are big enough for the 10" or 12". Are the blunt edge the safer bet for dealing with the thin, easily punctured ripstop and silnylon?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    For clarity, can we assume you mean 'blunt tip' and not blunt edge?

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    I just use regular ol' kitchen scissors. Cuts fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    For clarity, can we assume you mean 'blunt tip' and not blunt edge?
    Yes. I'd hate to try it with those "safety" scissors from grammar school. I'd probably get stuck with the left-handed ones AGAIN . .

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The stuff is so slick you would have to work to accidentally pole a hole with the too of a pair of scissors though I'm sure it could happen.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you want to be able to make fine snip cuts without changing shears I would go with the knife edge. BUT 8" bent shears are major piece of cutlery. You would be better off and more accurate with a pair of 5-6" straight scissors for the fine snips. Personally I would avoid anything larger than 8" bents. They are big enough and heavy enough to know you are using something as it is. Anything else is going to put a toll on your hand and wrists. When I was a kid we had a pair of 12" straight library shears. Called them toadstabbers. After any length of time with those puppies my hand needed a rest. Bent shears are really useful for table cutting and outline pieces. You can easily cut while keeping the fabric reasonable flat on the table. Straight scissors are good for trimming and utility cuts when the fabric can be picked up and handled without disrupting the outlines. The other basic set piece are 3" snipping scissors. They are good for snipping threads and clipping notches and other small detail cuts.

Ginghers are amazing tools. Excellent excellent choice. Many professional cutters use Ginghers.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you want to be able to make fine snip cuts without changing shears I would go with the knife edge. BUT 8" bent shears are major piece of cutlery. You would be better off and more accurate with a pair of 5-6" straight scissors for the fine snips. Personally I would avoid anything larger than 8" bents. They are big enough and heavy enough to know you are using something as it is. Anything else is going to put a toll on your hand and wrists. When I was a kid we had a pair of 12" straight library shears. Called them toadstabbers. After any length of time with those puppies my hand needed a rest. Bent shears are really useful for table cutting and outline pieces. You can easily cut while keeping the fabric reasonable flat on the table. Straight scissors are good for trimming and utility cuts when the fabric can be picked up and handled without disrupting the outlines. The other basic set piece are 3" snipping scissors. They are good for snipping threads and clipping notches and other small detail cuts.

Ginghers are amazing tools. Excellent excellent choice. Many professional cutters use Ginghers.
    I have a pair knife edge thread nippers, and an Olfa rotary cutter that a friend loaned me, but it seems like there are plenty of times that a pair of scissors/shears would be handy in between. The Olfa is great if I have time/room to layout a cutting surfaces, etc., but I'm not sure I want to do that every time I want to cut some fabric.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use a rotary cutter for all of my fabric cuts.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a rotary cutter for most of my cuts.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Living in NYC my apartment space is limited. So I intend to do a good bit of my work after hours in a conference room at my office. So I want to minimize my set-up/breakdown time.

• + New Posts