Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks Shug but i have been watching nothing but your videos for the last few weeks lol. I can't remember how i discovered them but you are a funny man. Were you ever in Vancouver BC in the 90's ? I could swear i saw you in action but its been a while so not to sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Looks like you've walked into an overthinker's convention. If you have no concern about weight and bulk, get the full-length. If you have such concerns, get the 3/4 UQ. Some of these comments are downright questionable, like a shorter UQ is more comfortable on the knees - that sounds like a very unique analysis, at best. I don't discount weaver2469's analysis about shorter quilts fitting more "squarely;" however, I just haven't experienced any issues with either 3/4 of full-length quilts (as weaver 2469 says, it needs to fit perfectly with no gaps). Sometimes you just have to give up on the Q & A, and other's opinions, get a UQ and find out what your issues are.
    Ya i happen to be an over thinker myself thanks SilvrSurfr

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    To me, it doesn't matter if its a 18" mattress under me or a 2" UQ as far as the temp goes. The TQ is where the venting is.

Just like at home, if your too hot, you don't mess with the bed, you adjust your sheets, comforter, etc. In a hammock, you could adjust the UQ if you desire at the foot end by loosening here.
    Thought the exact same thing and even used this analogy when I thought I might as well go the full distance and get the zero degree...

Shug, your videos are my library of hammock learning. Thanks for the tips, tricks, and entertainment.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    My chief concern is the right quilt for all occasions. So one thing I ask again is, can an underquilt be TOO warm? Can I vent a 0 degree quilt in 55-60 degrees and be comfortable, or is it only good to use somewhere between 0-20, and any other time I'm sweating no matter what I do"? If it does top out, around what temp would a zero quilt be uncomfortable?
    There's no such thing as the right quilt for all occasions - which is why I have a 0*, 20 * and 40* quilt set. Is there such a thing as most versatile quilt set? Yes, for most people a 20* quilt set will serve all seasons (except 15* and below). I used a 20* Phoenix and 20* Burrow for two years in temps from 75* F down to 13* F and I never once vented the UQ. As others have said, you don't try to vent your bed (underinsulation) when at home so why would one vent the UQ? If I'm too hot, I start first by pulling the TQ down off my neck a bit. If I'm still too hot, I expose my arms, then a leg, then maybe I kick the whole TQ off, but I never ever have pulled my UQ to the side (but 70*-75* F overnight lows is about the highest I've ever experienced). I use down year round in the bedroom and use these same techniques.

I often loan my quilts to others and I always take the warmest UQ 'cause I know I don't overheat with down. It might me different for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There's no such thing as the right quilt for all occasions - which is why I have a 0*, 20 * and 40* quilt set. Is there such a thing as most versatile quilt set? Yes, for most people a 20* quilt set will serve all seasons (except 15* and below). I used a 20* Phoenix and 20* Burrow for two years in temps from 75* F down to 13* F and I never once vented the UQ. As others have said, you don't try to vent your bed (underinsulation) when at home so why would one vent the UQ? If I'm too hot, I start first by pulling the TQ down off my neck a bit. If I'm still too hot, I expose my arms, then a leg, then maybe I kick the whole TQ off, but I never ever have pulled my UQ to the side (but 70*-75* F overnight lows is about the highest I've ever experienced). I use down year round in the bedroom and use these same techniques.

I often loan my quilts to others and I always take the warmest UQ 'cause I know I don't overheat with down. It might me different for you.
    No, I thought the same thing, Surfer... And I agree, it is a tool in the tool box. One tool can't do it all. However, I do have other options as far as a JCP quilt I've been working on and a poncho liner. Since in warm times, they will do the trick, I think I might as well go warmer with the quilt so I can hang in Winter, and Kristen can always hang happily. While it may be a bit bulkier and heavier, it will serve in colder temps... Where a 20 might not.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    No, I thought the same thing, Surfer... And I agree, it is a tool in the tool box. One tool can't do it all. However, I do have other options as far as a JCP quilt I've been working on and a poncho liner. Since in warm times, they will do the trick, I think I might as well go warmer with the quilt so I can hang in Winter, and Kristen can always hang happily. While it may be a bit bulkier and heavier, it will serve in colder temps... Where a 20 might not.
    I see your reasoning, but I'm a hiker. I still think a 20* 3/4 UQ and 20* TQ was the best investment I ever made because it's the most versatile for all seasons - the right combo of weight, bulk and warmth that fit great in my 50L pack. I really never use the 0* quilt set unless under 20* (my favorite camping temps, by the way), and I never use the 40* quilt set unless over 45 degrees.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Other that bulk/weight, I think another reason why everyone doesn't just use a 0°UQ is that they cover your shoulders and come around your sides too. Maybe it's just the Hammockgear quilts that I have, but 3" of puffy down is the last thing I want near me when it's warm and sticky out. But I don't hike in that crap anyway.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Yeah, you can overheat a bit more in a hammock (especially a GE hammock) than on a bed because more of you will be covered. Granted, you can also vent underneath you, but it becomes more finicky than just matching insulation to weather.

Generally, for a first purchase go as cold as you expect to need. You CAN fairly easily make it work warmer, but not the other way around.

The benefit of different systems will be reduced weight, bulk, and ease of use. I much prefer "set it and forget it", instead of set it, adjust, try it, adjust, sleep, wake up sweaty/cold, adjust, etc...

I think i will go with the JRB 3/4 3 season thanks all

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    When using a 3/4 UQ, at what temp do you guys feel you need the sit pad under your feet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast