Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More first time questions

Another newbie with more first time questions...

I just bought the Hennessy Scout. I've setup the hammock (and taken it down, and reset it multiple times) for the first time in my backyard today, and even though I've watched MANY of the videos, and read thru MANY posts I still have some problems:

I've got the straps at head height on the trees, trees are measured 21.5 ft apart (see photos).

I've got the lines tightened so that the bottom of the hammock is about at knee height (about 18 inches) without me in it. (see photos).

When I get inside, the hammock sags to about 4 inches off the ground, and I'm concerned that during the night I'll end up on the ground.
    I thought head height was the right height for attaching the lines to the trees; should I attach them at arm's reach over head (another couple feet)? Do I have the right "sag" in the hammock? I've seen posts talk about finding the right angle, but haven't seen a description of what the "angle" is...

Although I can't figure out how to tie the "Hennessy knot" (even with the videos I've found), I don't think my knots are coming undone (see photos)

I'm trying to put a foam pad in the hammock underneath me...I've got two different pads (see photo)

The lighter colored one is much newer, longer, and more "stiff"; the darker one is older, shorter, and more flexible. I've tried putting the lighter/longer one in the hammock...no fraking way. The darker/shorter one will fit, but I can't figure out a way to straighten it out once it's inside & I'm inside; there's just no room to shift it around...what am I doing wrong?

I attached the fly/tarp (see photo)

but it's small enough that it's very difficult to get it centered over the hammock for full rain coverage. Do I need a larger fly/tarp?
    I've also attached it to the support line as described in the instrucitons (see photo)

but that seems kind of "cheesey" since it almost immediately partially disconnects from the line (see photo)

Will that matter?

Is there anything wrong with the "Scout" model? I don't see many people mention it here...Should I have gotten another model?

OK, I know it's lots of questions; any help will be appreciated.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    21' is a really long span especially for a hammock as short as the scout. You are experiencing what I would assume is the initial drop factor from not being attached high enough to compensate for the sag created. Attach the straps higher and introduce more sag into the hang... or alternately close the span if possible to 13-15' and hang at the same height and see what happens. strap angles of 30-40* from horizontal are common amongst the HH hangers.

The scout is not an asym hammock and is the low end of the HH line. As such it is not one of the most popular of the HH models. I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with the hammock, just not quite as comfy as the bigger ones. Specially for us bigger guys.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Get lines to attach the tarp to the trees, about the same height or just below the straps. This will make it easier to get the tarp set tight. The Hennessy hooks on the hammock suspension are difficult to get a taut tarp with - you have to really push the prussik knots so it's really really tight, and then it will loosen when you get in.

Trim the foam pad - I used one just like your lighter blue one in the UL Backpacker, the scout is smaller I think.

The trees are kinda far apart so the straps need to go higher on the trees. Knee height is low - try hip height and it will sag some when you sit, but not go all the way to the ground. I think you also want a tad more sag in the hammock itself... the basic guideline is to strive for a 30 degree angle of the rope on each end. When trees are farther apart you need to adjust the straps higher to achieve it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    rict, welcome aboard

generally speaking;
    1. the farther apart the trees the higher you need you start your hang. I would definately recomend you push the huggers up higher and then see where you lay once you weight the hammock.

2. the Hennessy knot, never tied it, never tried. I have always used a girth hitch followed by two or three half hitches. Bottom line here, use a good secure knot you are comfortable with that will not be too painful to remover during breakdown or slip on you in the middle of the night.

3. in regards to pads, practice, practice, practice. I use a thermarest in my HH and
    have perfected my maneuvers to easily get in and comfortable with very minimal adjustment once I am in. The difficulty with pads is what drives many hangers to using a UQ for all of their insulation needs.

4. the mighty HH tarp, I used the stock tarp on my HH for a long time and had good success along the way, and sometimes still do (weather dependant). There is no doubt it is a bit on the small side, so depending on your needs, yes, you may want a bigger tarp to provide better shelter all around both inside and outside of the hammock. After about the third time out I attached another set of tie outs to the tarp and began attaching it seperately from the hammock, this give more flexibility in how much ventilation you can get and often helps with the sag often associated with the HH method of attaching to the hammocks suspension directly.

Hope this helps, and as always read as much as you can in the HH forums, a lot of great info there and never be afraid to ask, the people on the site are always very friendly and ready to help.

Thanks all!

I would attach to some closer-together trees, but unfortunately I don't have any in the yard.

Ahhh, so distance between trees will have an effect on "attachment height" and "hang height"...I thought it might, but wasn't sure. I just did move up the attachment point on the trees to "arms length above my head" , and that does seem to make a difference; now it hangs about 12" above the ground with me inside. There is some "snapping & popping" sounds whenever I get in, so I'm assuming that there is a break-in period where the rope/nylon gets stretched out initially, yes?

I'm not that big, about 5'10" & 165 lbs, but it does seem a little cramped in the hammock; even more than my bivy bag/shelter. Maybe I should have gotten one of the larger models, but I wasn't sure I would even like using a hammock while backpacking, so I didn't want to spend too much on something I might have to try to resell...

I'm hoping to try sleeping in it tonight (if I don't do it tonight, I won't have time to try it for another couple of weeks); it should be "interesting" trying to get into my sleeping bag while squirming around in the hammock. I can imagine that you guys who do this all the time haven developed a certain "hammock dance" technique that you use...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    5'10"? You're taller than me and I felt cramped in the UL Backpacker - but I'm claustrophobic, so YMMV.

There will be a little stretch, but it should settle and stop. Use the sleeping bag unzipped over you like a quilt and you'll be okay, with a pad under you. Many hammockers use a quilt which eliminates the wiggling about. When you add an underquilt it makes the pad dance stop too. But first things first - what you have works fine.

I hope the snapping and popping isn't the trees.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What they said, distance, angle of suspension, pad vs. underquilt. If its not going to be cold tonight (less than 65 degrees), try just using a blanket under you and a sleeping bag or good quilt on top.
    The scout is a small hammock, might want to try a "return for credit", and get something longer.
    Pad wrestling is a beast, some here have trimmed their pad to fit into their sleeping bag,so that could be another option. The soft black pad might work well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

OK, just finished PART of a night in the hammock (had a kitty emergency), so here's what I found...see if this makes sense.

Sleeping in it as I had it arranged was somewhat uncomfortable: the "floor" was so tight that laying on it was like laying on the ground; the pressure on my body was uncomfortable. On looking at it this morning, and making another modification, I think I still had the suspension rigged too tight, not allowing the hammock floor to "give" underneath me enough. This morning I adjusted the suspension to allow the hammock to sag a bit more, and found that it was more comfortable; closer to the ground, but more comfortable. From what you've all said, stringing it between two trees that are closer together will probably solve this problem, and give me both the height off the ground that I want, and the comfortable sag/angle that I need.

Getting in & out is a challange: I'm sure part of this is due to the height off the ground still not being high enough, but getting in and out involves me getting on my knees, scooting myself under the hammock, ripping the opening apart, turning around backwards (still on my knees), then lifting/scooting myself into a crouch, and into the hammock. It becomes more involved when I add a pad, and even more involved when I also add my sleeping bag; doable, but challanging.

The combo of pad and sleeping bag (used as quilt) works for protecting from the chill night air (low 50's last night) pretty well.

My suspension lashing/knots seemed to work fine; I guess it really doesn't matter if the knots are "right", just as long as they are strong. I've found some other knots/lashings for hammocks on Youtube, that actually show the procedure for doing them in a visible, easy to follow manner, so I might try those. Undoing my knots is somewhat of a pain, since I need to use needle-nose pliers to undo the tension; using knots designed for hammocks might be easier to undo.

Now I have to figure out the other "organizational issues": using/storing a pee bottle in the hammock; what to do with my boots/shoes; where to store my clothes/flashlight/glasses/etc...for quick access.

Overall, I'm anxious to try it out in a real backpacking situation, but because of my work schedule, I won't be able to do that for a few weeks.

Thanks again for all the help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    The Hennessy wrap is simpler than the diagram looks, and it might be worth trying for you prior to heading out into the wilderness. Three figure eight wraps (around the rope itself or around a carabiner slipped through the strap loops) and a half hitch. The tension is taken up on the first wrap and the rest are support to keep it there. You won't need needle nose pliers to undo it. I never had a fall using the HH wrap the entire time I used it, even tho sometimes it didn't look as neat as it could have....

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. good job.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    The Hennessy wrap is simpler than the diagram looks, and it might be worth trying for you prior to heading out into the wilderness. Three figure eight wraps (around the rope itself or around a carabiner slipped through the strap loops) and a half hitch....
    Well, I've tried & tried, but that Hennessy wrap just purely eludes me..this is the best set of step by step pictures I could find:
    http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...lter/hknot.htm
    .nothing I do looks even remotely like the pictures of the final product, and more importantly, every one I tried slipped in one direction or the other;
    ...and descriptions like that "Three figure eight wraps (around the rope itself or around a carabiner slipped through the strap loops) and a half hitch" just don't do it. I've always thought of myself as a very "visual/spatial" person, but now I think I'm one of those people who need to have knots/lashings shown to me in person.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast