HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook

Sleepwear and the UltraLight mindset

So as time goes on my gear changes. I was out this weekend in the White Mountains and had my typical Warbonnet hammock with Phoenix 3/4 0F UQ and Golite 20F TQ. this combinations has worked for me quite well to well below freezing in the past.

However, this past weekend I noticed something odd. The temperature went from just below freezing to just above freezing over the course of the night, which caused close to freezing temperature water to slowly drip (or fall...) from the trees, and to run down the amsteel. My hammock itself did not soak, but my legs, which are normally never a cold concern for me could feel that my hammock itself was very cold. Using my hands I could tell how cold the hammock was compared to the air around me.

Now, this hike I was wearing my new pair of OR Ferrosi winter hiking pants on top of my wool leggings (usually I just wear the leggings, but was feeling lazy and didn't bother to take off the pants. In my curiosity I stuck my hand out between the UQ and my hammock and the air there felt very warm, as did the top of my UQ, so that system seems to have been working fine (like normal?). I was wearing my upper wool baselayer and a LE aircore fleece sweater and my upper body did not notice the hammock temperature.

So is this normal, that the hammock material itself is cold to the touch while the UQ and TQ keep the air around it warm? Should I be carrying something slightly more insulative to wear for pants in cold weather? Or is this something that has more to do with the material the hammock is made of and I should perhaps look at a different hammock for the freezing and below temps?

post your collective wisdom for me! thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It sounds like a combination of two things: the use of a 3/4 underquilt and water intrusion through the whipping ends. Let's take those in order...

Most folks using a 3/4 (or 2/3) underquilt place a cut down sit pad or their pack underneath their feet/calves in the footbox of their top quilt. This insulates their legs where the underquilt doesn't cover.

Water intrusion through the whipping ends can be combated with a combination of good tarp use and either water breaks or drip strings in the hammock suspension. IF the water break/drip string is under the tarp end, it will cause any water running down the suspension to be diverted to the ground. Cotton strips cut from an old T shirt are probably best for drip strings, but the use of your bandanna can be substituted in a pinch. Dutch makes an whole bunchaton of suspension options for water breaks, and straps with hardware already have them built in.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My question would be about the cold material.

Was it inside the quilts? This is where your body heat would warm everything.

Or was the cold material outside the quilts? Which is normal.

As far as your clothing, always change into dry, sleep only, clothing. When your hiking with multiple layers, you build perspiration, even if you can't feel it. This will give you a clamy feeling even in your downy goodness.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCanFury View Post
    My hammock itself did not soak, but my legs, which are normally never a cold concern for me could feel that my hammock itself was very cold.
    So ... the hammock itself didn't get wet at all? But the material was just cold?

I guess I've noticed the hammock material does stay pretty cool ... but not the parts that are covered by the UQ obviously...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    FLRider: I generally sleep fetal in my hammock, so the 3/4 length has never been a problem. I've also slept in much colder temps than this specific trip, and did not notice the hammock feeling this cold. Which is why I thought it might have been the cold water dripping down the line too, but the hammock itself stayed completely dry.

Floridahanger: it was the entire length of the hammock. I was quite warm, the air inside the TQ was warm, and even the air between the hammock and UQ was warm (including the top material of the UQ), which is why I'm so confused. I ended up taking the pair of fleece gloves I had and placing them under my bum to insulate against the hammock material and that kept me from feeling the cold hammock on that part of my body. It's a weird sensation being warm but having your skin feel cold...

brino: you can see where my confusion comes from!

thanks for all the replies! It helps give me some bearing on what I should expect. As deep winter approaches I'll have to see how things play out in the colder temps without rain to see what happens.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I was quite warm, the air inside the TQ was warm, and even the air between the hammock and UQ was warm (including the top material of the UQ), which is why I'm so confused.
    An air space between the hammock and the underquilt allows convection to move heat away from the hammock faster, so it will feel relatively colder than places where they are in contact.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    An air space between the hammock and the underquilt allows convection to move heat away from the hammock faster, so it will feel relatively colder than places where they are in contact.
    so should have I allowed for more of a gap between the UQ and hammock in this situation? thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    so should have I allowed for more of a gap between the UQ and hammock in this situation? thanks!
    Just the opposite. The more space between the UQ and hammock, the colder the hammock will be.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    FLRider is correct.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    In my experience, you should tighten the shock cord up so that it raises your hammock about 2 feet above its resting position. This ensures a nice seal between the hammock and your under quilt. In theory, even though the inner lining of your under a quilt is nice and taught, the differential cut will still expand and allow it loft as intended.

To solve drafty ends, when I first get to camp I usually set up my hammock and my other quilt, put all of my remaining gear inside of it, and adjusted so that they are snug but not overly tight.

As far as my water breaks are concerned, I have found that small strips of an old cotton T-shirt work the absolute best. They easily absorb and divert water straight to the ground. I generally put them just under my tarp and just before my main hardware water breaks. Works like a charm!
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast