Hammock
    Dream Hammock 'Freebird"
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps / buckles
    I have these in the corners of my boys bedrooms.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317659-50881...3D3&facetInfo=

Also... if you use your christmas tree storage room for testing gear, and you string up a few lights, you can pretend your outdoors!

IMG_0208.jpg

Hammock
    Pak-it-Lite F.O.B
    Tarp
    Pak-it-Lite Fly
    Insulation
    Quechua A200 UL
    Suspension
    Pak-it-Lite
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshcrsn View Post

Also... if you use your christmas tree storage room for testing gear, and you string up a few lights, you can pretend your outdoors!
    Brilliant!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 and Argon
    Tarp
    several all DIY
    Insulation
    Integrated down
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    I used to use my backpacking hammock in my house and on the porch but I have since switched to a Mayan on the porch and a DIY faux fur like material that is 10 ft by 60 inches... I put some natural batting in it and it is like falling into a cloud! Yes it weighs a TON for a hammock but it's not going anywhere so completely worth it. It did take a bit of trial though. The first attempt I used a non stretch material on the outside and the faux fur on the inside... Smushed all the insulation and was kind of hard, but I liked the look of it so decided to make another layer of dollar bin polyester for the middle for the support and insulated under that and spray adhesived the fur to the polyester.. yes a lot of work! But it's so much better than the couch!

Hammock
    Eno doublenest
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    eno UQ
    Suspension
    Atlas for now
    Quote Originally Posted by awilhelm13 View Post
    I was wondering if anybody has experience specifically with the ENO Indoor Hammock Hanging kit (this one: http://www.rei.com/product/847920/en...ck-hanging-kit )

I am planning on installing it into single vertical studs near the wall corners at opposite/diagonal sides of a room. I like this mount because it is pretty discreet as far as they go. I weigh ~160lb, should I be fine with this setup??
    I have went to lowes and bought a eye hook and did that in my apartment to hang in the living room. works really nice and im 286 and it hasnt been a problem

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Melangi View Post
    I used to use my backpacking hammock in my house and on the porch but I have since switched to a Mayan on the porch and a DIY faux fur like material that is 10 ft by 60 inches... I put some natural batting in it and it is like falling into a cloud! Yes it weighs a TON for a hammock but it's not going anywhere so completely worth it. It did take a bit of trial though. The first attempt I used a non stretch material on the outside and the faux fur on the inside... Smushed all the insulation and was kind of hard, but I liked the look of it so decided to make another layer of dollar bin polyester for the middle for the support and insulated under that and spray adhesived the fur to the polyester.. yes a lot of work! But it's so much better than the couch!
    Picture please!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    I went to Home Depot and paid $4.50 for two 250lb eye hooks. I used a drill & drill bit slightly smaller than the hook thread. After making some measurements with dehoja's calculator I drilled my holes in the studs of 2 perpendicular walls & hand tightened the hooks in.

<$5 & 1 hour total. Slept in it last night! (I weigh 175lbs btw)

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Images
    I second the vote for pictures. I'd love to see the setup you describe. I hang full time and I'm always looking for ideas on how to make it better.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    I went to Home Depot and paid $4.50 for two 250lb eye hooks. I used a drill & drill bit slightly smaller than the hook thread. After making some measurements with dehoja's calculator I drilled my holes in the studs of 2 perpendicular walls & hand tightened the hooks in.

<$5 & 1 hour total. Slept in it last night! (I weigh 175lbs btw)
    I'm real tempted to do this since it would be fairly inconspicuous and easy to repair of I ever needed to take the bolts out. I'm about 160lb but still worry about bending the studs or bowing/cracking the wall around it.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm real tempted to do this since it would be fairly inconspicuous and easy to repair of I ever needed to take the bolts out. I'm about 160lb but still worry about bending the studs or bowing/cracking the wall around it.
    Well, we always hang at our own risk but I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

I am a little heavier than you and had no issues. I would suggest studs near a corner and to use two perpendicular walls rather than parallel walls. That way some of the force is on the bolt and not directly pulling on the threads. The most important part is the diameter of your drill bit pilot hole needs to be small enough for the threads to grip and diameter of the bolt's core to be snug but not so small that the wood splits. Also, use an stud finder that will give you accuracy on drilling in the center of the stud. Hope it works well for you!!

I am surprised at how inconspicuous it is. I hang my hammock in the closet and you don't really notice the hooks in the corners. When I want to use it, 10 seconds later I am clipped in and hanging. I am renting the apartment I'm in and my lease states that I can make holes smaller than 1/4 inch. When I move out all I have to do is unscrew the eye bolt and patch the small hole.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have a large bedroom with the slanted type ceilings (like the top of a stop sign). Where the wall meets the ceiling is pretty low, maybe 60". I'll need to measure the distance across the room and see if the calculator likes it. I'm not sure what's behind that wall though...two, 2x4s maybe? One behind the wall and one behind the beginning of the ceiling? Maybe there's not even any running parallel to the floor, and instead just running up, over and back down the other side.

Man, it was a lot easier hanging it in the unfinished basement!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast