Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    OneClick, Sounds like you're all dialed-in now. So great that it's working well for you!

Gargoyle, you're quite right, especially with a concrete or even a hardwood floor. Carpet just isn't enough padding IMO. I saw a pack of thick jigsaw-puzzle CCF floor mat squares in Costco the other day and thought I should get them, if I can keep my bad cat from ripping them up in the middle of the night. Putting a bit of carpet over the mats would only encourage the cat further, and wire mesh would hurt my feet (but probably not faze the cat).
    Still, I adhere to the rule: Never hang higher than you're willing to fall. That rule would keep me on the ground if I didn't pay close attention to my suspension and my spidey-sense.
    People, please do put a CCF mat or similar under your hammock to protect bones and noggin. Gravity IS a thing in our world!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Stick a layer of CCF padding on the floor. You’ll be thankful...if something gives way.
    Expect to have the wind knocked out of you!
    BTDT
    This is the bomb diggity. Spendy, though.
    GORILLA GRIP Original 3/4" Premium Anti-Fatigue Comfort Mat (70 x 24), Phthalate Free, Ergonomically Engineered, Extra Support & Thick, Kitchen, Laundry, and Office Standing Desk (Beige) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T3DT82..._KM3eDbVV1TYPP
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    OneClick, Sounds like you're all dialed-in now. So great that it's working well for you!

Gargoyle, you're quite right, especially with a concrete or even a hardwood floor. Carpet just isn't enough padding IMO. I saw a pack of thick jigsaw-puzzle CCF floor mat squares in Costco the other day and thought I should get them, if I can keep my bad cat from ripping them up in the middle of the night. Putting a bit of carpet over the mats would only encourage the cat further, and wire mesh would hurt my feet (but probably not faze the cat).
    Still, I adhere to the rule: Never hang higher than you're willing to fall. That rule would keep me on the ground if I didn't pay close attention to my suspension and my spidey-sense.
    People, please do put a CCF mat or similar under your hammock to protect bones and noggin. Gravity IS a thing in our world!
    A man's gotta have a kitty or three. I feel your pain.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Stick a layer of CCF padding on the floor. You’ll be thankful...if something gives way.
    Expect to have the wind knocked out of you!
    BTDT
    That's what I did after the first and hopefully last time I sat in my underquilt.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    [QUOTE=oldgringo;1975161]This is the bomb diggity. Spendy, though.
    GORILLA GRIP Original 3/4" Premium Anti-Fatigue Comfort Mat (70 x 24), Phthalate Free, Ergonomically Engineered, Extra Support & Thick, Kitchen, Laundry, and Office Standing Desk (Beige) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T3DT82..._KM3eDbVV1TYPP[

A man's gotta have a kitty or three. I feel your pain.
    /QUOTE]

Wowza! I like that mat, my bank account doesn't, my cats would love it. Some of the Q/A's for it say it can be punctured and ripped up by cat or dog claws. My feline fur-balls would really enjoy tearing into it every time they pass by, and pretty soon I'd have no mat protection again. I trim the very tips of their claws but they still manage to keep them razor sharp. They can chew Soft Claws right off.
    Feel the pain, indeed! My personal protection is a full-body suit of UnderArmour made of mithril for their 3 AM jumps into the hammock. My next project should be leather booties for the kitties, maybe lead-lined to slow them down a little.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird (x2)
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Among canvas hammocks, bigger is better just like camping hammocks, but equally important is fabric weight. Thinner canvas is great initially, but will develop ruts within months that only get deeper. Flipping and laundering to shrink it back taut only helps slow down the degradation. Don't expect more than a year of continuous use out of a lighter canvas hammock. My current heavy canvas set (2 La Siesta Carolina doubles) go 4-6 weeks between launderings, and seem good as new after more than 2 years. Sometimes I think I should buy 4 more as insurance against them being discontinued, because they're that much better than the 3 other canvas ones I wore through.

<quote snip for photos>

@Leatherdome have you had any luck adding a ridge line to this type of hammock (or seen others do so)? I am calculating my bedroom setup and at my preferred spot I have just 11 feet, so I’m hoping a ridge line could help maintain the angle of my dangle if the dimensions mean the lay is too flat.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
    @Leatherdome have you had any luck adding a ridge line to this type of hammock (or seen others do so)? I am calculating my bedroom setup and at my preferred spot I have just 11 feet, so I’m hoping a ridge line could help maintain the angle of my dangle if the dimensions mean the lay is too flat.
    Haven’t, but it would be trivial to tie one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Well I have all of my hardware.. I am honestly torn on the 6" ss screws I bought, vs the galvanized 3.5" screws that came with it. As you can see in the photo, the only as screw I could find in 6" length, was in 5/16, which leaves some slop in the hole... I dont love that... However, it will reach both sides of the structural support joist. I guess I will just try it and keep an eye on the screws and bracket as I use it.

20190702_214109.jpg

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Well I have all of my hardware.. I am honestly torn on the 6" ss screws I bought, vs the galvanized 3.5" screws that came with it. As you can see in the photo, the only as screw I could find in 6" length, was in 5/16, which leaves some slop in the hole... I dont love that... However, it will reach both sides of the structural support joist. I guess I will just try it and keep an eye on the screws and bracket as I use it.

20190702_214109.jpg
    How about using a bolt and nut, instead of a screw? Surely there are bolts available that're 6".

well, everything I read seems to indicate that I should use structural steel hardware... and the only thing I could find were screws... no bolts... I could find long bolts, but nothing SS. I think the significance of SS, is that it is tested material that is much less likely to shear off.... where as the bolts can be made from whatever slop they toss in a smelter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast