Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    hey guys, im back!

i struggled with the sieve inserts during heavy rain in the amazon and had to take them out.

to be quite honest a bit of bird #$&% isnt going to kill you in a hurry and you should be looking at purifying water anyway. steripen is the best way forward for this unless it is heavily saturated with sediment. 90 seconds to purify a quart -1 litre of water (for the americans... sorry fellow brits) is nothing and i have taken one on a solo paddle down the amazon in my packraft and didnt recharge it for 6 days and had no problems whatsoever.

if humans have survived for 10,000 years without having fancy gadgets then im pretty sure our stomachs would adapt if we tried. boiling is always good anyway. i rarely ever drink straight out a stream as thinks like nitrogen and mercury are just as much as a hazard in the long run as short term issues with intestinal parasites.

two things id say are. one i didnt get on well with the sieve and two only put half litre bottles on, the big 2-2.5 litre bottles seem to damage the stitching in the middle of the tarp and you get dripped on and need to rewaterproof things! not worth the hassle to be honest....

always take them with me if i know im going to be in an area with rain but little access to water, cloud forest for example.
    Thanks for the heads up re big bottles. I was thinking about 2 L foldable bottles. I am looking at modifying some non hennessy tarps I am getting to be able to use these HH2O's. Where I live the nearest river is 10 miles away and the ground is very permeable so little run off except in a flash flood. So I would need to take all my water on a trek with me. It also makes a good back up water system if necessary.

As I am planning a week long trip to a desert island with no rivers or springs so the only fresh water would be what I can collect off the tarp or carry in. It is fortunately in a tropical area so rain is plentiful. So again would need to carry in a lot of water if I did not use the tarp for water collection.

Apart from making some pre-filters for HH2O's I will be filtering and boiling the water.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi hanger View Post
    Thanks for the heads up re big bottles. I was thinking about 2 L foldable bottles. I am looking at modifying some non hennessy tarps I am getting to be able to use these HH2O's. Where I live the nearest river is 10 miles away and the ground is very permeable so little run off except in a flash flood. So I would need to take all my water on a trek with me. It also makes a good back up water system if necessary...

...Apart from making some pre-filters for HH2O's I will be filtering and boiling the water.
    In order to mod your non-Hennessy tarps, all's necessary is to knot a loop into your tarp's side tieouts, right close to the tarp; or, simply knot in a small plastic ring of appropriate diameter.
    Then, I recommend (if there be such things in your country) the smallest "S" 'biner by Nite-ize, to increase the dangle from the HH2o funnels to your loop.
    You won't lose any water by increasing the distance, and you'll very definitely increase the ease with which you can attach/detach your funnels.
    Best size-&-type bottles (one man's opinion) is 2Litre Platypus collapsibles. Larger could get cumbersome, and, if it's too great a drop to the ground, and if your side tieouts are non-bungee,
    alot of weight might be ripping on your tarp, if you're not close to hand to monitor collection rates.

Re:Pre-filters... I ditch those piddly, pathetic Hennesssy screens, and 7 curses with them.
    I prefer (and you might too) rather to cut lengthwise up the middle of a green 3M Scotch-Brite scrubby pad. This makes x2 7in.L-x-2.5inW strips.
    Each one of these I roll up tightly and jam down into the Platypus necks, with ~.5in. remainder exposed. Screw onto funnel, hang, pray for rain.
    These are exceeding clog-resistant and small-particulate-efficient strainers; and should NOT ever be the reason why you didn't get your Platypus filled to capacity.
    Best of success & happy hydration to you, wherEVER you travel.
    Last edited by irondog; 11-10-2016 at 16:09. Reason: Punctuation

Hammock
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    I had actually planned to use the platypus 2L or even a 1L version. Though as an interim I will be using 1.14L plastic vinegar bottles. As for connecting them I will look at the double mitten hooks from Dutchwaregear, though small continuous zing it loops could be easy to attach to the D rings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I had actually planned to use the platypus 2L or even a 1L version. Though as an interim I will be using 1.14L plastic vinegar bottles. As for connecting them I will look at the double mitten hooks from Dutchwaregear, though small continuous zing it loops could be easy to attach to the D rings.
    Oh, yeah. Sure. ANY suitably-threaded bottle will suffice quite satisfactorily.
    The great recommendation for Platypus is the collapsibility; though, I'm STILL (after +1year) amazed at their durability. I'm totally satisfied with them.
    Dutch's Double Mitten Hooks, of course, will be far superior to ANYthing your discerning hammock would care to be seen with.
    You're right: Lark's headed loops of Zing-It will permit of great ease & adjustability; also save you a gram(?), if that's important to you.

Hammock
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by irondog View Post
    Oh, yeah. Sure. ANY suitably-threaded bottle will suffice quite satisfactorily.
    The great recommendation for Platypus is the collapsibility; though, I'm STILL (after +1year) amazed at their durability. I'm totally satisfied with them.
    Dutch's Double Mitten Hooks, of course, will be far superior to ANYthing your discerning hammock would care to be seen with.
    You're right: Lark's headed loops of Zing-It will permit of great ease & adjustability; also save you a gram(?), if that's important to you.
    That was one reason why I bought 8 of the water collectors in advance. I can test out bottles to see if they fit and the vinegar bottles I am planning to use are effectively free, and allow me to experiment with UK weather before getting the platypus bottles.

As for weight of mitten hooks over Zing-it loops, I do not think that it is a problem, my one concern is strength of the mitten hooks to hold 1 or 2 Litres of water. So your idea of zing it loops might actually be better as they are lighter and possibly stronger as well.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ...As for weight of mitten hooks over Zing-it loops, I do not think that it is a problem, my one concern is strength of the mitten hooks to hold 1 or 2 Litres of water. So your idea of zing it loops might actually be better as they are lighter and possibly stronger as well.
    Well, as concerns respecting the relative strengths of one connection-type v. another, I observe that the weight/strength limit
    you'll most appreciate respecting is your TARP's. I use bungee side tie-outs, on my tarps; therefore my weighty Platypus bottles
    will always end nicely filled and standing direct on the ground, with zero holding strain on either tarp or connection rig.
    If your side tie-outs will not permit of sufficient accommodation of ~2Kilo/Water per collector, the holding strain on your tarp may exceed your tarp's holding strength. That'll add some memorable misery to your rainy experimentation!

Hammock
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Yes I was concerned about the tarps and that was why I was thinking of keeping the weights lowish. I have seen others on Youtube collecting in 2L plastic bottles without much problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345